How hard is it to change fork seals?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NM_MAX

Reaction score
Hey guys,

One of my fork seals on my 04 Vmax started leaking a while back and I am considering changing them myself instead of taking them to the dealership.

Before I commit to diving in to this project, I was wondering if someone could tell me how hard a project this is, and what parts I should order if I do the job myself.

If I do this myself, I plan on using the money I save in labor costs to upgrade the springs. I was also wondering if someone could recommended an after market spring. I'm a pretty big guy, 240+ pounds depending on what I eat for breakfast :biglaugh:, I don't know if that will make any difference in your recommendations.

Thanks in advance for your help.

I'm 225 fully decked out, and ride a '85 with the flamingo leg forks. I run progressive springs lowered 1 inch and it does me fine...world of a difference.
This past weekend we changed the oil and springs in my buddys '03, without a clue what to do except the instructions, my Haynes manual and some of the treads on this site.
Matter of fact, (and no offense guys) we messed up some following some of the treads instructions...mostly because everyone had a different approach.....we ended up pulling apart stuff we didn't need to.
2 guys....6 beers each.....clueless....6 hours....which also includes a 1 1/2 hour run to the store to get fork oil.
If we had to do again...less than 3 hours, while shooting the shit.
No special tools required......everyone talked about a impact gun....these came of pretty easy ...just made sure I pulled all the bolts while still in the trees.

Bought the Springs and kit from ...Captain Kyle...who's a vender here on the site...perfect price and fast shipping.

Do it yourself...its not that bad.

Hey guys,

One of my fork seals on my 04 Vmax started leaking a while back and I am considering changing them myself instead of taking them to the dealership.

Before I commit to diving in to this project, I was wondering if someone could tell me how hard a project this is, and what parts I should order if I do the job myself.

If I do this myself, I plan on using the money I save in labor costs to upgrade the springs. I was also wondering if someone could recommended an after market spring. I'm a pretty big guy, 240+ pounds depending on what I eat for breakfast :biglaugh:, I don't know if that will make any difference in your recommendations.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Hey NM, fork seals aren't bad at all, there's a lot of info on doing them on here somewhere. Not sure what you put in your search box....probably replacing fork seals would work.

Basically, jack the bike up, remove the front wheel & remove the forks....one at a time if you want. Take the plastic cap off the top, let the air out and remove the plug, pour the oil out, the spring will come at the same time.

Using an air impact pull the bottom allen bolt then using the inner tube like a slide hammer pull the inner tube out of the outer tube. Clean it all up, install new oil & dust seals and re-assemble.

Progressive front springs are what you want, instructions come with them.

This is a simplified version but the threads you find will explain everything fully....good luck....shout if you have any problems.

2 guys....6 beers each.....clueless....6 hours....which also includes a 1 1/2 hour run to the store to get fork oil.
If we had to do again...less than 3 hours, while shooting the shit.
Do it yourself...its not that bad.

That sounds about my speed.:eusa_dance::rofl_200:

Iv got the seals? whos got the beer?:biglaugh:

Sweet! I'll try to give you a call on my way through IC on Friday and we'll see if you are around (if you aren't out riding)

Jeff

I did it after watching Sean's how to video (it's in here somewhere) I had to borrow a tool from Danny & had to meke a tool to put the copper ring ack in but it went pretty good & smooth, but putting the top caps back on are a p.I.t.a.
Good luck.
Dave :punk:

I did it after watching Sean's how to video (it's in here somewhere) I had to borrow a tool from Danny & had to meke a tool to put the copper ring ack in but it went pretty good & smooth, but putting the top caps back on are a p.I.t.a.
Good luck.
Dave :punk:

with my progressives i completely agree... maybe mine were 1/4" too long or something but it took 3 of us to get them back on. granted my hands were wicked oily still so it was tough to get a grip. one guy held the bottom of the fork, one held the slider and i ratcheted the cap on. hahah.

with my progressives i completely agree... maybe mine were 1/4" too long or something but it took 3 of us to get them back on. granted my hands were wicked oily still so it was tough to get a grip. one guy held the bottom of the fork, one held the slider and i ratcheted the cap on. hahah.

I clamp them back in the tree, there aren't 2 other guys to help me within 50 miles of here!! :rofl_200:

I clamp them back in the tree, there aren't 2 other guys to help me within 50 miles of here!! :rofl_200:

yea the bike was 2 miles away from me so it was easier to just grab the two guys sitting upstairs.

Ah, now it makes sense!! :biglaugh:

yea the triple trees are the best possible clamps you can buy. if i was a regular vmax mechanic i'd get a spare set and bolt/weld them to a bench for making life easier.

yea the triple trees are the best possible clamps you can buy. if i was a regular vmax mechanic i'd get a spare set and bolt/weld them to a bench for making life easier.

:rofl_200::rofl_200: what is it you do about 90% of your day man...... work on the bike:punk::punk::punk:
you qualify

:rofl_200::rofl_200: what is it you do about 90% of your day man...... work on the bike:punk::punk::punk:
you qualify

agreed, but i don't hope to make fork seals a daily activity!

ya not for that kind of cash, find a old bike take the tree off and mod it to work.

I'm right in the middle of doing it myself. Took one all part to see what needed to be replaced. You definitely want the seals, dust covers, drain washer, maybe new spring clip. Others have suggested replacing the bushings as well. I hope I can get it all back together.

Attachments

• forks.jpg
    forks.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
Thanks everyone for all the responses. Based on what you guys have said, I think I'm going to give this a shot.

What is the best place to go for parts?

Agreed, the copper rings is what slowed us up...couldn't figure why we couldn't get the seal down and the clip in (we did not pull the other seal.) After a couple more beers.....
I finally just used a flat punch and small hammer and tapped it in.
Putting the cap on the forks were a breeze....off the bike I sat and held the sliders...buddy had the caps pushed down with a rachet, and I just turned the sliders a couple times and it caught...then tightened with the rachet.
I think its better this way...turning the rachet and pushing may cause crossthreading because your never straight under pressure.

Latest posts

Back