How to remove front wheel and brake rotor

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Geek_Law

Reaction score
Re: Geek_Law's V-Max Transformation

Ok, somebody was asking about the front wheel. I think it was ghostintheshell, but others have asked me before how hard it is to remove a wheel. Well, I had never done it on the max, but it took about 5 minutes. I took pictures to document the process for the next guy. Seriously though, it's pretty easy.

First, remove the calipers by removing the two bolts on each caliper on each side. this isn't strictly necessay, but just makes life more pleasant for everybody in ear shot. See pics.

Second, remove on the LH side of the front tire, the pinch nut and bolt. See pics.

Third, remove the gigantic bolt that goes all the way through the wheel. I didn't have a big enough metric socket, but discovered that 3/4" was EXACTLY the right size. I used a large 14" ratchet arm and the sucker came straight out. Just loosen it until the threads are clear (i.e., it will stop moving out).

Now you are all loosened up, and everything will just fall apart.

So, fourth, make a quick mental note of the position and orientation of the spacer on the RH side of the bike. Its just a smallish cylinder in between the fork and the wheel, it presses right against the bearing. Yeah, you probably should put that back there.

Now, fifth, make a SECOND mental note of the position of the speedo unit on the LH side of the bike, again, in between the fork and the wheel, pressing up against the bearing again.

EDIT: Wait just a minute, please be sure you have the front wheel up in the air before you go removing the front bolt! Sheesh. I like to use an ATV jack, but just get the wheel in the air however you see fit.

Ok, sixth, pull out the long bolt. Be nice to it. Put it on a paper towel or something.

Ok, that's it. Fine, seventh, pull the wheel out, make a mental note of the RH and LH side or the FORWARD direction, or whatever you need to do to ensure it goes back on the right way. Seriously, make note of which way it goes. Now do whatever you want with the wheel, and assembly is just the reverse order of the above.

See my pics below for a step by step pictorial walk through of how to remove the wheel. Hell, I'll even put my pics of the rotor removal just for kicks.

Attachments

• SSPX0890.jpg
    SSPX0890.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 215
  • SSPX0891.jpg
    SSPX0891.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 210
  • SSPX0892.jpg
    SSPX0892.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 204
  • SSPX0893.jpg
    SSPX0893.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 194
  • SSPX0894.jpg
    SSPX0894.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 195
  • SSPX0895.jpg
    SSPX0895.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 204
  • SSPX0896.jpg
    SSPX0896.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 190
  • SSPX0897.jpg
    SSPX0897.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 190
  • SSPX0898.jpg
    SSPX0898.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 187
  • SSPX0899.jpg
    SSPX0899.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 188
  • SSPX0902.jpg
    SSPX0902.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 181
  • SSPX0903.jpg
    SSPX0903.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 184
I have iron will. I backed it up and down the drive way. I played witht he clutch - feeling the friction spot.

I managed to put just over 100kms on this month. A few quick rides and one really good one. Best time I've had all year. Ridiculously fun. The weather was nice, the sun was out, all the leaves are changing colours around here. I could smell fireplaces and the leaves. I also hammered a nice merge onto a highway. 2nd to 3rd and hit 120kmph in what seemed like the blink of an eye. I said some profanities out loud as I crawled back to the 80kmph limit.

I love this thing. Likely good that I didn't quite understand how fun it really is - or waiting all those months would have been a form of torture.

Awesome. I'm sure you'll stack up some miles come summer. Be really careful on city streets getting on the power. Folks will do things that are just SHOCKING. Like pull right in front of you as you are getting on the throttle hard. Stuff that would never happen when you are in your car.

I know you are a new rider, so just be super aware about what others are doing, and just assume that they are all lunitics and are out to kill you. You do that, and then the couple of times each week that somebody does actually try to kill you, you'll be ready to rip in the clutch and get on the brakes.

Also, if you have not already, go to a parking lot and try some braking exercises. Get to know what it takes to stop that thing FAST and how hard you can get on the rear and the front without locking each up. If you lock up the rear, you can ride it a bit without too much worry as the rear starts to slide out, but you'll get better stopping power if you release and re-apply.

If you lockup the front, you need to let off FAST, because it can put you on the ground first. Usually, it will start to chirp a bit or squeal a little first, before going into a lock up, but just get to know where that point is.

If I'm preaching to the choir here ... then just tell me to shut up. I personally LOVE fast bikes, but I really hate to see dead bikers or even bikers with serious road rash. I have loads of friends that just don't ride anymore because of a bad accident. It's awful, and worse yet, they don't like it when I ride myself, with my wife, or with the kids, because of their own histories.

Anywaaaaaay .... back to work. Ugh.

Yeah guy. My first day on the bike some idiot in his saturn blew his stop sign at a T-intersection. He was making the corner too. He just blew his sign and turned right in front of me.

One thing I did take to heart from my safety course was that I am invisible. When I saw him approaching the T-Section, I was already on the brakes - just in case he was an idiot. he was. I actually looked at his face. Some some young punk. It was a good thing too - or I would have vboosted right through his window - and regardless of if it was his fault, I am sure he would have come out on top of that one ;)

Thanks for the concern and advice though :) I am green for sure. I used to ride dirt bikes as a young lad - but that's like apples to oranges when riding in traffic.

But I am a safety first, all gear always kinda guy.

I have practiced some braking exercises - however, I have yet to lock it up. I do have a good feel for the brakes though - as I think i pushing them *almost* to the point of lock.
I am going to have to relearn with my SS brake lines and galfer pads though :)

I have practiced some braking exercises - however, I have yet to lock it up. I do have a good feel for the brakes though - as I think i pushing them *almost* to the point of lock.
I am going to have to relearn with my SS brake lines and galfer pads though :)

Indeed. Once you do get them, do yourself a favor and find an empty parking lot and practice. Find out how much foot it takes at 20, 30, 40 and 50mph to lock your rear brake. Then have a few careful attempts at locking your front end. It really helps to know where the limits are, because it a real emergency it's usually too late to think or experiment..

Also the most important thing on the Max is to always be really smooth on the power whenever you're banked over (even slightly) or on anything but solid dry tarmac. I cannot count the amount of times I've almost lost the back end by twisting the throttle just a little too quickly from a standstill while turning, for example when joining traffic from a side road or parking exit.

Ahem... this is the How To section.... and you are cluttering up this write up.

Thank you!

niceguy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back