I need a washer....

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gamorg02

Reaction score
okay so on my other bike the grip is of a softer kind and its not the widest grip. so the outside of my palm will slowly stretch the grip into the bar end causing it to bind slightly.

annoying.

I'm thinking if I can put a washer in between the grip and the bar end, the metal or even PTFE or similar washer will slide easily against the bar end. maybe a drop of silicone lubricant inbetween.

the problem is the size. any ideas where i can buy a small quantity (1 or 2), inexpensively of a washer this size?

ID: 20-24mm (7/8")
OD 30mm~ (1-1/4")
thickness: 1-1.5mm (1/16" or less)

McMaster Carr?

OR just slide the assembly over a little bit.

McMaster Carr?

OR just slide the assembly over a little bit.

i've been digging in mcmaster carr, nothing perfect , and if it is its $20 for a box of 100.

wondering if ptfe or metal might be a better choice.

also i can't slide it over its at the end of the clip on, and theres also a pin that the electronic pod sits in as the clamp isn't enough to keep it from moving by itself.

Find a plastic fender washer & grind it down if it's too-big in dia. How-about those body plugs an auto trim shop would have for holding plastic body panels on? They are wide buttons w/integral serrated discs to hold them in-place. You might need to throw some silicone room-temperature vulcanizing compound into the handlebar end and impress the 'button' body panel fastener into it.

Or, how-about the plastic cutting boards, cut a piece w/a hole saw & trim to fit, epoxy it into the handlebar end, and leave it a bit-'proud' of the end of the bar. That stuff is slippery if it's smooth, you might want to sand it a bit to get the smoothest surface. Then shoot some WD-40 or silicone onto it and re-install the grip.

Find a plastic fender washer & grind it down if it's too-big in dia. How-about those body plugs an auto trim shop would have for holding plastic body panels on? They are wide buttons w/integral serrated discs to hold them in-place. You might need to throw some silicone room-temperature vulcanizing compound into the handlebar end and impress the 'button' body panel fastener into it.

Or, how-about the plastic cutting boards, cut a piece w/a hole saw & trim to fit, epoxy it into the handlebar end, and leave it a bit-'proud' of the end of the bar. That stuff is slippery if it's smooth, you might want to sand it a bit to get the smoothest surface. Then shoot some WD-40 or silicone onto it and re-install the grip.

hmm that gave me an idea.

A piece of 3/4" sch40 PVC pipe might work good. The ID is usually a bit larger than 3/4" The OD is usually 1-1/8". Cut a thin piece off, make sure the ends are square. Heat it up with a heat gun and squeeze it onto the bars. 1" would fit without heat but would be a little sloppy. OD of 1" is about 1-3/8"

A 7/8" machine bushing or washer. These are used as spacers or bushings on shafts. 7/8" ID is a common size. The OD will probably be 1-1/4 or 1-3/8"

Is there a bicycle shop nearby? I believe the spindle on most 3 piece cranks are 7/8". You could ask if they have any spacers for bottom brackets. You use them to line up the sprocket on the spindle or to space out the left side crank arm, or, to adjust freeplay in the bottom end.

A piece of 3/4" sch40 PVC pipe might work good. The ID is usually a bit larger than 3/4" The OD is usually 1-1/8". Cut a thin piece off, make sure the ends are square. Heat it up with a heat gun and squeeze it onto the bars. 1" would fit without heat but would be a little sloppy. OD of 1" is about 1-3/8"

A 7/8" machine bushing or washer. These are used as spacers or bushings on shafts. 7/8" ID is a common size. The OD will probably be 1-1/4 or 1-3/8"

Is there a bicycle shop nearby? I believe the spindle on most 3 piece cranks are 7/8". You could ask if they have any spacers for bottom brackets. You use them to line up the sprocket on the spindle or to space out the left side crank arm, or, to adjust freeplay in the bottom end.

all good info i'll keep that in mind mike, awesome thank you.

Anybody with a lathe should be able to zip one out for you in short order Garrett. Let me know if you don't have any luck, I have a friend that would let me use his and I will make you one.

Anybody with a lathe should be able to zip one out for you in short order Garrett. Let me know if you don't have any luck, I have a friend that would let me use his and I will make you one.

i ordered a machine shim from a place who said they'll drop it in an envelope, we'll see. if that doesn't work i'll let you know.

Try a Kenmore from Sears...
a kenmore what?

There you go...

samsung-washer-silvercare.jpg

Yea I got the joke a few hours ago, a bit slow today

-garrett

Try a nickel.
I believe its a nickel ......or a quarter that off roaders use to keep the bar ends from punching through the grips on get-offs.

Back