I should have known this would be a problem

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EAGLEPI

Reaction score
OK the other day I posted a pic of my VMAX and someone nticed that I had mounted my exhaust with the tabs on the outside of the back foot peg bracket. see pic below,

maeks4.jpg

I looked at several bikes with marks exhaust and noticed that they all were mounted with the tabs behind the rear foot peg bracket. I decided to look at them and see if I could mount mine that way and of course as in everything I do on this bike something doesn't look right. See the following pic's

marks1.jpg

The arrow points to a bolt that can not even grab the threads on the mounting hole because the bracket is not able to fit back in properly with the tab on the inside.

marks2.jpg

As you can see here my can is right up against my shocks, this can't be right...

mark3.jpg

As you can see in this pic where the arrow is pointing to the bracket doesn't even fit back, there is about a 1/2" gap

Does anyone who have installed Marks exhaust have any suggestions?

They will be greatly appreciated

Ron

Last edited:
I'd call Mark and tell him they don't fit... But first... I'd loosen the WHOLE exhaust up and then tweak it and then tighten the cans up and then tighten everything else up. Sometimes that'll help. I never had to space out my peg brackets on my '06.

maybe a C or bar clamp to snap it back and put the bolt into place.

I can do anything because as you can see the can is right up against my shock. If I was to force the bracket back into place I would dent my can. Also I did loosen up the entore exhaust and they just don't fit that way.

It looks like your bracket is tweeked. The bottom part of the bracket is straight and where it meets the othe welded-to-the-can bracket it's bent in a 30 degree( guessing) angle to meet the peg bracket . If yours did that I think you wouldn't have the clearance issue. I'm sure Mark will fix it up for you.

Here's your problem.....when you mounted your muffler on the outside, I can see that your bracket on top of the muffler is now not bent properly....I would imagine due to the weird angle from mounting it on the outside, it may have bent slightly when you snugged up the bolt. Figure out a way to bend the part of the bracket that the bolt runs thru(on your muffler) back to where it is more like 90deg with the can and it will bolt right up. The cans will be close to the shocks, but they will fit with the bracket in the correct position. I just put this section of my bike back together this weekend, so I am sure I am correct.

-Mike

It looks like your bracket is tweeked. The bottom part of the bracket is straight and where it meets the othe welded-to-the-can bracket it's bent in a 30 degree( guessing) angle to meet the peg bracket . If yours did that I think you wouldn't have the clearance issue. I'm sure Mark will fix it up for you.

+1. you might be able to bend it yourself. but yea if he'd fix it do it up.

It sure looks to me that if the tab was "straightened up" that it would actually shift the muffler even farther into the center (more towards the shock). how is the other side?

Sean

Just to clarify....the bracket on top of the can need to be in an "L" shape....your's is not, causing you can to be "in" towards the shock too much.....
-Mike

I talked to Mark earlier and he said without a doubt the tabs were bend and that is what is doing it. He rold me to put them in a vide and bend then so that tab and the piece welded to the cans are as close to 90 degrees as possible.

Here are the before and after pic's

Before

cans1.jpg

After

cans2.jpg

How do they look now??

You did it boss....that will work....if the cans are a little close to the shocks once installed....just grab'em and give them a yank away from the shock and all will be well....

-Mike

I initially did the same w/my Mark's pipes.A little bending & some shims solved the problem .

I've been bending a shifting for hours and I can't get them to fit so the bolts go thru. I just talked to Mark and he is sending me out a set on new cans. Damn it's nice to see someone who takes care of the customers that way.

I have been already.. and will continue to...

He has been trying to do a set of instructions but he said today he has been so busy. He said he has been wanting to do one for 3 years now. I think it would be great if one of the gurus on this forum would take pic's and write instruction if you should happen to put a new set on. I know he should do the instructions but I'm sure he wouldn't refuse the help.

Some of you guys write sure great how to do's and I bet one for marks exhaust would be appreciated by many. Had I had instructions I wouldn't have made the mistake of putting them on the outside.

Last edited:
I think I should order some new bolts for my exhaust, does anyone know what size bolt it is?

I called Yamaha to find out but they tell me " Duh.... All we can do is order them "

not sure about length but looks like 10mm thread based on ron ayers

Thanks, I think I'll bring one of the bolts I have to a place that sells bolt and see if they can tell me the exact size. This place doesn't carry the bolts with the flange so I am goign to try and find some somewhere.

Back