Idle dropping when warmed up

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidon

Reaction score
At start up idle is perfect...after about 30 min if I'm at a light idle drops down to 900 or so which also causes voltage meter to drop from 14 to 13ish. Any solutions?:ummm:

sounds similar to a problem that i used to have...
does your rpms drop low enough that your bike stalls?
found out that i had a bad stator, Might want to check yours

Bill, you replace it with a stock one or a upgrade?

i bought a new one from python, not sure but it might be from a venture? all i do know for sure is that the rubber grommet is a touch smaller than oem and im having trouble with an oil leak. had it apart 3 times and still leaks, works great and it was $460 cheaper than a new oem one from my local stealership... Guess i got to figure something out soon, cause this leak is making me crazy :teeth angry:

good to know, so the problem of idle dropping was cause by it going bad? so what happened, batt kept loosing charge??? i got about 13.3 at idle but goes up to 14 at 1500, higher if needed right after start but batt is good so isnt always up high.

How did you know stator was bad? Did you do voltage check and see a big difference in output between wires? Someone suggested I do the check both cold and hot. Never did it hot so hopefully this will tell me something.

How did you know stator was bad? Did you do voltage check and see a big difference in output between wires? Someone suggested I do the check both cold and hot. Never did it hot so hopefully this will tell me something.

Well i was having problems with it stalling out when it was hot, checked my voltage and it was low, even running it was low around 12. actually Mikey looked in my clear stator window and saw my stator was burnt black on one side. bought a new one from python and then we checked my regulater and it was good, but i changed that out for a new one too just to be on the safe side. all is well now, just got an oil leak to deal with...

900 really isn't that low. I think spec is 1000 +/- 50, so unless it's stalling I wouldn't worry too much.

I had low voltage for quite a while. First I got rid of the original R/R and put a MOSFET style off a Ninja ZX10 on instead. Initially I had 14.4 volts across the board from just off idle. However once the motor got hot, it was back down to like 12.5 or so. The stator checked out with an ohmmeter even when hot, but I read that sometimes the stator will only short when under load and it's difficult to detect. When I pulled it apart, two of the "poles" were crispy looking. Got a new one from Rick's Electrics (was like $120), fit perfectly, now I have about 13v hot idle ~1000 RPM, 100w highbeam and fan on, and 14.4 regardless from 1500 and up. The OEM part is amazingly expensive, and the Rick's one is also designed for the Venture so I'm pretty sure it's a higher capacity.

If the grommet is leaking a bit, clean it up good and try adding a bit of black(oil resistant) RTV to the edge. Let it dry 24 hours (important) before letting it contact oil again, otherwise, it WILL NOT cure right and probably leak.

900 really isn't that low. I think spec is 1000 +/- 50, so unless it's stalling I wouldn't worry too much.

I had low voltage for quite a while. First I got rid of the original R/R and put a MOSFET style off a Ninja ZX10 on instead. Initially I had 14.4 volts across the board from just off idle. However once the motor got hot, it was back down to like 12.5 or so. The stator checked out with an ohmmeter even when hot, but I read that sometimes the stator will only short when under load and it's difficult to detect. When I pulled it apart, two of the "poles" were crispy looking. Got a new one from Rick's Electrics (was like $120), fit perfectly, now I have about 13v hot idle ~1000 RPM, 100w highbeam and fan on, and 14.4 regardless from 1500 and up. The OEM part is amazingly expensive, and the Rick's one is also designed for the Venture so I'm pretty sure it's a higher capacity.

If the grommet is leaking a bit, clean it up good and try adding a bit of black(oil resistant) RTV to the edge. Let it dry 24 hours (important) before letting it contact oil again, otherwise, it WILL NOT cure right and probably leak.
Problem is it's not a smooth idle...hesitates for a split second like it could stall then goes to normal for a bit..then repeats...usually have to hold throttle at 1000 to get back to a smooth idle.

Problem is it's not a smooth idle...hesitates for a split second like it could stall then goes to normal for a bit..then repeats...usually have to hold throttle at 1000 to get back to a smooth idle.

are you getting that along with a low voltage?

Back