If it's not one thing it's friggin another

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidon

Reaction score
OK Went to start up and I've started getting loud backfires the past couple of times when I hit the start button. started and ran for about an hour on the highway..cruising at 70ish..all of a sudden loss of power (power did not cut off though, RPM drops to about 1000), then a loud backfire, then about a half second later bike comes on at previous RPM then about 1/4 mile later same thing..did this cycle about 5 to 10 times until i could finally get to a station. Filled up 3/4 of a tank and decided to head home..get stopped by a sheriff for improper mirrors and license plate position. Warning on one, fine on the other..had this stuff for years and was never stopped for this..but at least I got home and the backfire problem did'nt reappear.

Question. Could a bad batch of gas have caused this? Also it's been raining for about 3 days straight and just let up today..(moisture/water in the gas?)

OK Went to start up and I've started getting loud backfires the past couple of times when I hit the start button. started and ran for about an hour on the highway..cruising at 70ish..all of a sudden loss of power (power did not cut off though, RPM drops to about 1000), then a loud backfire, then about a half second later bike comes on at previous RPM then about 1/4 mile later same thing..did this cycle about 5 to 10 times until i could finally get to a station. Filled up 3/4 of a tank and decided to head home..get stopped by a sheriff for improper mirrors and license plate position. Warning on one, fine on the other..had this stuff for years and was never stopped for this..but at least I got home and the backfire problem did'nt reappear.

Question. Could a bad batch of gas have caused this? Also it's been raining for about 3 days straight and just let up today..(moisture/water in the gas?)

Check your gas tank for shit on the bottom of it. Maybe some sediment on the bottom of the tank. If so you can always drain it (drain bolt is under the tank).

Coulda been some bad gas as well.

Can't be crap in the tank cause the tank was powdercoated last year and I'm sure was cleaned up for powdercoat prep. I'm hoping its just the gas

I agree with TFish. I had an old mustang that did the same thing. It was water in the tank. Only affected it when I was below 1/4 tank. I drained it and used "gas dryer" that Methel stuff to clear any water out of the lines. Came back to life and never had a problem with it again.

Sucks about the ticket by the way. The deputy must not have been a rider. I normally give other riders a warning unless it's a very extreme violation.....like 75 in a 25. That will normally get a ticket from me. I could really care less what the mirrors look like or where the plate is....as long as I can see it.

Too bad I can't pull over SQUIDS.....just because.....LOL.

Ride Safe!!

Latest posts

Back