Ignition Switch - P Setting

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ectobass

Reaction score
Short question: My ignition switch has an on/off and "P" position. In order to turn it to the P position, you have to push the key in and then rotate it. I could not find anything on the P position. What does it do?

Long question. Well, the question is actually...WTF?? I rode my 88 Vmax a little yesterday, and then hooked up the leads to my Battery Tender to the Vmax. I have used it before, but never installed the leads. Anyway, I connected the leads and plugged in the BT. In less than an hour it was fully charged. Disconnected it, and left it overnight. Came home from work at lunch today and rode the bike back to work (7 miles). Decided to try out the P setting at work. Came out about 6 hours later and nothing. Nada, no mas, kaput, fine', etc. After searching the net, I found nothing. I assume the P setting is "parking lights"? Even when I tried to push start it (with 15 minute rest breaks in between sessions) I got absolutely nothing. By the time my neighbor picked me up (I wheeled it into the secure parking area) it was 900pm, so I had no time to get a meter out and figure out what was going. Any thoughts, sage advice (like never change something before a ride or a race), or other comments are welcome. :ummm: Thanks!

The "P" setting is Park. It turns on the taillight. That is why your battery died. I never use it but in certain circumstances it could be helpful. Like parked on the side of a dark road so oncoming traffic could see you.

The wiring diagrams show that not only does "P" connect the battery to the taillight, it also connects the battery to the gauge lights and turn signals

I smell a "DOH" award in someone's future :eusa_dance:

No worries Ecto, we all do things like that from time to time.....

Well technically I WAS parking the bike. ;) I will have to revisit my Clymer manual. I may have been looking at a different switch in the wiring diagrams.

Thank you very much for the quick replies....as tough as the truth can be.

As Keith Richards once said, "That's the price of an education."

Thanks again!

Parking is running lights only. (rear and front signals)

Just tested. Taillight like I said and front running lights only. Rears do not have running lights (unless you replace with fronts). Guess so you can be seen from both directions. I forgot about the front running lights. Have never actually used the "P" position.. :biglaugh:

Thats why the bikes come with owners manual!!!... :biglaugh:... Even if you don't have it its available free online. Check page 3-1... Doh is still in effect... :rofl_200:

Back