In need of answers

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelfish

Reaction score
So today was the day shop from St. Pete installed new tires on my bike. Avon Venom. Nothing wrong with tires at all, handling now is improved a lot, going into curves is a child game. 170 in the back. Love it so far. Wobble gone completely, that seems to be the problem all along. The only thing is going back home today on I-275 into Tampa, I got up to 95 mph, and thats when it started to shake the whole bike like crazy. Had thoughts of going down with a bike for sure. Didn't touch any brakes, just let go of throttle and eventually it got down to about 75-80 mph without problems. No more shakes because I didn't push it that far. I really don't want to experience this again. Before these tires there was never any weights on my front wheel, now I have it. Does anybody know what could have caused such a scary moment? Should I take it back to the shop? Had Metzeler 150 in the rear, pushed bike to 125 mph and no problems. I know it's a long read but just help me out there, Thanx:ummm:

Re: In need for answers

So today was the day shop from St. Pete installed new tires on my bike. Avon Venom. Nothing wrong with tires at all, handling now is improved a lot, going into curves is a child game. 170 in the back. Love it so far. Wobble gone completely, that seems to be the problem all along. The only thing is going back home today on I-275 into Tampa, I got up to 95 mph, and thats when it started to shake the whole bike like crazy. Had thoughts of going down with a bike for sure. Didn't touch any brakes, just let go of throttle and eventually it got down to about 75-80 mph without problems. No more shakes because I didn't push it that far. I really don't want to experience this again. Before these tires there was never any weights on my front wheel, now I have it. Does anybody know what could have caused such a scary moment? Should I take it back to the shop? Had Metzeler 150 in the rear, pushed bike to 125 mph and no problems. I know it's a long read but just help me out there, Thanx:ummm:

What you're describing is a typical 'high speed wobble'....trying to eliminate it is pretty difficult but my first thought is....if it didn't wobble before the Avon's, and it wobbled after the Avon's.....they may very well have something to do with it. It's not a guarantee, it could be any number of things, but there might be a connection.

I wouldn't recommend taking it to the dealer to have the wobble fixed....they won't have any idea how to do it and it'll just cost you a bunch of money! Use the 'search' option on the tool bar above and read up on the subject, there is a ton of info. Unfortunately, there isn't any hard and fast answer to this issue.

Good luck, keep us posted.

Hey I'm confused, you first say that with the new tires, your wobble's gone completely (was that at low speed or in turns), but then when you went fast you got the high-speed wobble.

If it wasn't there with the old tires and it's there now, then surely the tires have something to do with it. Were they balanced properly?

Separately, the high speed wobble is more often than not due to the steering bearings being too loose or worn. That is something we can check/adjust for you on Sunday at Kyle's Tech day.

Well, it did wobble before during any speed. I tightened the front bearings and it stopped a lot. There was still a problem, just not as much. High speed was always OK. Now it is scary. I guess I could talk to guys in the shop about it, not sure if they will be able to do anything. There is not a lot of people who know about Vmax, unfortunately. Tech day I'm there, if there is time to check it out, I'll be more than happy.

Tires are balanced, maybe not properly. I put tires in St. Pete shop on 49th st. St. Pete motorbikes, British guy is the owner. I don't know if you know him Naughty or not. His name is Mark. My other very good friend has some bad issues with him and is not coming back. I gotta tell you he has 4 bikes, and likes to do stuff on them all the time. Mark has lost a very good customer.

Take your tires someplace else for a double check?

Perhaps a couple weights were not applied properly and have already fallen off?

You may need to revisit your head bearing adjustment and tweak it just a smidge tighter - at least until you figure out why it's wobbling.

+1 double check the balance. I found when I had my high end wobble, to fix it I ended up torquing a little over specs. No wobble any more.

How to check the balance, do you mean steering? Or if the tires are balanced the right way?

I use beads inside the tire..it self balances..other than that I would also recheck the head bearings again

How did you tighten up the steering head bearings?

Actually what I meant is that I tightened the two notched rings, and the top nut. It is nice and tight, no movement at all. My mistake in writing. Oh yeah, my rear brake is not the same. It squeaks and grinds, gets hot quicker. It all happens at low speed. This was never an issue before the tire change, right after that brake went bad.

Actually what I meant is that I tightened the two notched rings, and the top nut. It is nice and tight, no movement at all. My mistake in writing. Oh yeah, my rear brake is not the same. It squeaks and grinds, gets hot quicker. It all happens at low speed. This was never an issue before the tire change, right after that brake went bad.

OK this sounds like a problem I had when I first got my Max: some previous (stoopid) owner had missed a VERY important washer when refitting the rear wheel. As a result, the whole wheel assembly was loose and moved from side to side by over 1/4 inch! The rear brake faded completely after a highway run, and came back when colder. Put your bike on the center stand and see if you can move your rear wheel from side to side..

There is a problem, no center stand. The only washer I ever saw was on the right side. It's still there.

I lost that "spacer" when I was putting my bike back together this spring. I looked everywhere for it but could not find it.....:damn angry::damn angry:
Where did I find it???? The rear brake support arm has the spacer integrated where it mounts to the axle. :bang head::bang head:

I would check to make sure the tire installer torqued the front and rear axle nuts to the correct setting. If they are correct, I would order some dynabeads and install them after removing the lead weights. JMO

Regarding the neck bearings, just tightening isn't enough IMO. They need to be checked first to see if they are not worn out. Then worry about how tight they are.

Swingarm bearings need to be checked for correct torque. I think it's like 4 ftlbs or something stupid low like that... Can't remember though.

Swingarm bearings need to be checked for correct torque. I think it's like 4 ftlbs or something stupid low like that... Can't remember though.

I checked mine today. I can see marks on the races, which I don't like one bit. May replace them soon. After repacking with fresh grease and mounting back, there is no play or roughness so it should be all good.

The torque on the left big swingarm bolt is 72 ft/lb. Then on the right the torque is 4.3ft/lb, and then the lock nut is also 72ft/lb.

WOW I guess a lot of things come into play. New tires made my life harder. Thanx for inputs guys, as always plenty of help here. Great forum.

Back