Info please

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dshaw

Reaction score
When I turn my ignition on I hear the fuel pump but dont see any fuel in the filter. I might get a little bit but not even enough to fill the filter up half way. The pump should fill the filter up right? Should it hold a certain presure?

Firstlble unplug the fuel hose and be sure that theres no fuel.

If not:
I think Your tank maybe be full of rust.
You may have clogged vent in the tank by that, or even clogged outlet.

Check Your pump too, theres a guide around the forum.

Sometimes you can't really see the gas in the filter because it's just in the lower half. The fuel pump is after the filter, so the pressure's only in the hoses after the pump and the fuel bowls.

Is the bike running ok?

I cant get the bike to start at all. The tank seems clean, I rode the bike 1000 miles stopping only for fuel with no problems. After that I had a starting issue while bike was hot then it started up a little later fine and I rode it home. Messing with it for a while. Didn't seem to be firing at all but then it fired up, ran bad for a while. Took it out and rode it and it started running good. Shut it off for gas, fired right up and rode it for a good 50 miles and took it home. Started it a few times that day with no issues. Now it wont start again. Cranks over good, I didn't see any fuel in the filter so was thinking maybe the fuel pump was out or weak.

When I turn my ignition on I hear the fuel pump but dont see any fuel in the filter. I might get a little bit but not even enough to fill the filter up half way. The pump should fill the filter up right? Should it hold a certain presure?

Does the pump keep running or does it fill the bowls and shut off? Cycle the key 2 - 3 times to verify.

easiest way to make sure fuel pump is working:

- remove seat
- remove faux-tank cover
- remove airbox
- unfasten fuel line going from fuel pump to carbs, and put its end into a container
- switch ignition on

If it's working you'll hear the fuel pump clicking and gas will spurt out into the container.

If not, check fuses, check the fuel pump relay, check the fuel pump itself, check all hoses for blockage and especially check the tank's breather hose, if it's blocked it will create a vacuum and the pump won't be able to suck fuel through.

Ok pulled the line just before the carbs and its getting fuel. After that I pulled a spark plug and there is no spark at all. I grounded the plug to the bike frame and cranked it for a while but never a spark. What do I look at now? And how do I test things?:ummm:

well got a similar issue all of a sudden tonight. no rust in tank, hose open from before filter back to tank. pump clicks for a few secs(louder then normal) and no fuel in filter or even in line. can pour a little gas in carb and it tries to fire up so i know there is spark.

you say pump is after filter before carbs eh, vent line issue stops fuel from getting to pump?? i'll go check. anyone else have any ideas

Ok pulled the line just before the carbs and its getting fuel. After that I pulled a spark plug and there is no spark at all. I grounded the plug to the bike frame and cranked it for a while but never a spark. What do I look at now? And how do I test things?:ummm:
I'd work up stream from the plugs; the plug boots, the spark plug cables, the connections on either end, then check the coils. That's a start I'm sure there will be more things to check that someone with more experience will suggest for you to try.

Back