Interesting Carb Issue

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ectobass

Reaction score
Disclaimer: I am a single dad full time with very little time to ride, and even less to wrench. Nevertheless, an interesting occurrence with a carb to share.

The symptoms of my stock 85 VMax:
- Some backfiring from cylinder #2
- Dark plug on cylinder #2, all others tan
- Poor gas mileage
- Carbs have been sync'd

I didn't give much thought to the dark plug as I was trying to solve the backfiring (In hind sight I should have). I took the day off to catch up on some projects and decided I would clean the pilot jets. When I took the air filter assembly off of the carbs, the attached picture shows what I saw on the #2 carb. The needle jet had come unscrewed from the needle jet screw and was "floating" in the carb. :confused2: Being one that normally over tightens things, I must have missed this one.

Needless to say, correcting this took care of the backfiring. Carbs have been resync'd and now I am going to check out the VBoost! :biglaugh:

One final comment, which is related to the rebuild of my carbs back in October. I think there should be a public flogging including being doused with carb cleaner for anyone who puts permanent threadlocker on a Phillips head screw made of Japanese metal. Ugh! :rofl_200:

Attachments

• 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 68
typically you don't unscrew the needle jet yea? i haven't had mine that far apart...

Anytime I acquire a used bike, the carb(s) come all the way apart for a thorough cleaning. Very pleased with the Berryman carb cleaner / part washer in the gallon can. Next on the list are a Kawasaki KX65 and an Suzuki RM85. They will be a tad bit simpler

Sent from a rotary phone using Tapatalk 2

I've got a picture exactly the same!
I didn't ever unscrew mine, it just came undone.
Took me ages to find that one. When the screw is loose, sometimes the jet can sit high like that on the keyway. other times it sits in fine.

Latest posts

Back