Ironhorse Headlight??

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gamorg02

Reaction score
Hello All.

So on my new (to me) '03, it has what the seller called an "Ironhorse" headlight. I can't find any information on that type of light anywhere on the web. I attached a pic of it.

I think the hi/low beam might be reversed and i don't think its lined up right, and was wondering how do you go about lining up headlights. I have a haynes manual and it doesn't say how to put it in spec. I think tilting the headlight up a bit will help the look and make the beam shine correctly but i'm not sure how to aim precisely.

I also don't like all the wires showing above the headlight. I attached the pic, you can see them there. i was hoping one of the oem instrument cowl's may help that problem, along with tilting the headlight up a bit.

I have the stock housing and everything, thinking about putting it back on, haven't decided if i like the look yet, maybe see what it looks like tilted up like i said, but the back of the headlight housing is deeper than stock i believe.....

thoughts?

Attachments

• SSPX0059.jpg
    SSPX0059.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 157
thanks sean. doesn't look like the sell the parts separately tho... i dunno i'll do some more digging...

anyone know how to aim a motorcycle headlight?

I think it changes slightly for each bike, but as a rule of thumb, you face a wall in dark conditions, in dipped beam, sitting on the bike, and adjust your headlight so that the top line of light from your dipped beam is where it should be heightwise on the wall. Only prob is I'm not sure exactly how far from the wall you should be, or how high exactly the beam of light should be. :confused2:
One possible easy trick would be to park your car (assuming it's adjusted right) a few meters from said wall, mark on the wall where the dipped beam is, then with your bike in the same spot adjust away to match. Only problem is the different headlamps height, so a truck with a headlamp roughly at the same height as the max might work better.

In practice though, I found that the best way to adjust is to find an unlit and straight stretch of road, go there at night, and adjust your headlamp while in full beam (make sure you're sitting on the bike so the suspension is compressed by your weight). It's quite easy in those conditions to adjust laterally to make sure the beam's right on the road and not to the sides, and vertically so that the beam lights up the road as far as it can - but not up in the trees :biglaugh:

I think it changes slightly for each bike, but as a rule of thumb, you face a wall in dark conditions, in dipped beam, sitting on the bike, and adjust your headlight so that the top line of light from your dipped beam is where it should be heightwise on the wall. Only prob is I'm not sure exactly how far from the wall you should be, or how high exactly the beam of light should be. :confused2:
One possible easy trick would be to park your car (assuming it's adjusted right) a few meters from said wall, mark on the wall where the dipped beam is, then with your bike in the same spot adjust away to match. Only problem is the different headlamps height, so a truck with a headlamp roughly at the same height as the max might work better.

In practice though, I found that the best way to adjust is to find an unlit and straight stretch of road, go there at night, and adjust your headlamp while in full beam (make sure you're sitting on the bike so the suspension is compressed by your weight). It's quite easy in those conditions to adjust laterally to make sure the beam's right on the road and not to the sides, and vertically so that the beam lights up the road as far as it can - but not up in the trees :biglaugh:

Thanks naughtyG. I will try that out. I have a blazer so that will probably be roughly the same. now just to find a flat place to do it up and see how out of whack it is.....

Back