judging power wheel lift

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

113s&s

Reaction score
forgot what thread someome asked about front wheel lift.... judging by the wheel lift if bikes making average good power ect....i stated i got front wheel up with little clutch no clutch power rise sometimes a chirp sometimes none...today in first gear rolled it to 6000 rpm then snap wot...no wheel spin no clutch the tire was at 11 oclock in a blink of an eye and still had pull...second should do the same........ll tell ya its quite a machine...for 635 lbs...

forgot what thread someome asked about front wheel lift.... judging by the wheel lift if bikes making average good power ect....i stated i got front wheel up with little clutch no clutch power rise sometimes a chirp sometimes none...today in first gear rolled it to 6000 rpm then snap wot...no wheel spin no clutch the tire was at 11 oclock in a blink of an eye and still had pull...second should do the same........ll tell ya its quite a machine...for 635 lbs...

I hear ya, Ive had it happen in 1st and 2nd gear. In 2nd just cruising then snap the throtle and up the wheel goes, not too sure how high, as it still freaks me out a bit, and I weigh in at 215lbs,

:punk:

I hear ya, Ive had it happen in 1st and 2nd gear. In 2nd just cruising then snap the throtle and up the wheel goes, not too sure how high, as it still freaks me out a bit, and I weigh in at 215lbs,

:punk:

in 85 has a suzuki 1150 e bike was 100 lbs lighter had no real clue what i was doing one night was running 11.2 sec 120 122 mph and the suzuki would not get the wheel up like this thing does all with 105 to 115 hp....makes you wonder if more is really needed in the street

Mine will put you on your ass if you whack the throttle in first gear.
When taking off in first WOT when you get to 8K the front end will come off the ground 3-4 inches up to the shift point. I am 230lb
My front end is strapped down also, before it was strapped it powerband wheelie to where you would have to get out of the gas in first.
Can anyone break the tire loose at 55MPH by dumping the clutch in 2nd?

I guess this is a response to my question from a little while ago.

I will pose THIS question as a followup.

When all you 200+ pounders are ripping wheelies, how are you sitting on the bike? Are you upright? Are you adding a gentle tug? Are you laying down?

You see, I am 170 pounds. My clutch is fresh and has a full 8 discs and a PCW spring. When I get on the bike the entire bike rises as a result of shaft jacking....but I don't have any wheelie issues....nor do I break traction.

Now, let me clarify this. I have never launched this bike from a dead stop in first gear with the intention of producing max acceleration. I HAVE rolled into WOT in first gear from about a 10 mph roll. This was with the old clutch though. I have never had the front wheel come up (at least that I can actually perceive) in second or third gear on roll on accelerationto redline in each gear. Also, I lay on the tank when I really hammer the bike, because the last thing I want to do is fall on my back with a 600 plus pound beast on top of me from 50+ mph. Perhaps I am a pussy, perhaps it is too many years of drag racing cars...but I want the power to the ground and I don't really want to pull wheelies. To that end, I guess I automatically adjust my body position to facilitate avoiding those issues.

Wheelies on a dirt bike are fine. They are even OK on my RZ, since they are the power variety and rarely exceed a few inches (although that bike will loop if you don't lay on it)...but big wheelies on a V-Max? No thanks, you'all....not this kid. :biglaugh:

My bike is plenty fast for me. Traction and no wheelies are fine as well.

Mike

im sitting straight up in riding position usually....10 mph roll on 1st gear wot no clutch dont think will pull the tire up unless its at the very end of rpm thats more like a drag race........if sitting up the whole time could get some hight .dont get me wrong body english plays a part also ....but a 6000 rpm in first then snap wot dont care how your sitting your going up

I guess this is a response to my question from a little while ago.

I will pose THIS question as a followup.

When all you 200+ pounders are ripping wheelies, how are you sitting on the bike? Are you upright? Are you adding a gentle tug? Are you laying down?

You see, I am 170 pounds. My clutch is fresh and has a full 8 discs and a PCW spring. When I get on the bike the entire bike rises as a result of shaft jacking....but I don't have any wheelie issues....nor do I break traction.

Now, let me clarify this. I have never launched this bike from a dead stop in first gear with the intention of producing max acceleration. I HAVE rolled into WOT in first gear from about a 10 mph roll. This was with the old clutch though. I have never had the front wheel come up (at least that I can actually perceive) in second or third gear on roll on accelerationto redline in each gear. Also, I lay on the tank when I really hammer the bike, because the last thing I want to do is fall on my back with a 600 plus pound beast on top of me from 50+ mph. Perhaps I am a pussy, perhaps it is too many years of drag racing cars...but I want the power to the ground and I don't really want to pull wheelies. To that end, I guess I automatically adjust my body position to facilitate avoiding those issues.

Wheelies on a dirt bike are fine. They are even OK on my RZ, since they are the power variety and rarely exceed a few inches (although that bike will loop if you don't lay on it)...but big wheelies on a V-Max? No thanks, you'all....not this kid. :biglaugh:

My bike is plenty fast for me. Traction and no wheelies are fine as well.

Mike

I still say that you are spinning and do not know it.Put somebody on the back and try it.

The heavier the rider on these bikes the easier it wheelies.

Sean

Mine will put you on your ass if you whack the throttle in first gear.
When taking off in first WOT when you get to 8K the front end will come off the ground 3-4 inches up to the shift point. I am 230lb
My front end is strapped down also, before it was strapped it powerband wheelie to where you would have to get out of the gas in first.
Can anyone break the tire loose at 55MPH by dumping the clutch in 2nd?

i can get the tire to break free for a short time in 2nd gear with no clutch just have to have the rpms up there then wot with a wheel lift at the end... its all new to me i just find when theres a clutch involved wheelies happen to fast, no time to think, let of the gas to fast and front end can come down hard.... in thinking in 2nd gear with clutch i could get some wheel spin it does depend on what is the rpm in 2nd gear at 55 mph...weight 175 lbs

im sitting straight up in riding position usually....10 mph roll on 1st gear wot no clutch dont think will pull the tire up unless its at the very end of rpm thats more like a drag race........if sitting up the whole time could get some hight .dont get me wrong body english plays a part also ....but a 6000 rpm in first then snap wot dont care how your sitting your going up

OK, I am going to try it and see. It is not the way I ride normally, but I will see if running it up to 6k in first and snapping it will bring up the front. I am sure I will have to change my shorts afterward if it does come up hard on me.

There is also the distinct possibility that I am pulling small power wheelies that I really can't feel. My old VFR would do that all of the time. Just hold the front wheel a few inches up.

Mike

OK, I am going to try it and see. It is not the way I ride normally, but I will see if running it up to 6k in first and snapping it will bring up the front. I am sure I will have to change my shorts afterward if it does come up hard on me.

There is also the distinct possibility that I am pulling small power wheelies that I really can't feel. My old VFR would do that all of the time. Just hold the front wheel a few inches up.

Mike
go getem Mike....usually i dont ride like that eather but once you see and feel what it can do,,,just knowing makes ya feel good :biglaugh:

Put somebody on the back and go for a ride! JEEEEEZ!

Another trick is to let off the gas for a second,let the forks drop down then nail it.Should come right up.

Another trick is to let off the gas for a second,let the forks drop down then nail it.Should come right up.
thats cheating we will file that under body english

The only person I have had on the back is my 10 year old. I would hate to have him fall off...I don't have a sissy bar back there. :biglaugh:

I know the tricks used to get a wheelie up.

I will mess around with the bike and I am sure it will wheelie. Gettiing it to wheelie is not the issue for me. I was more interested in finding out about wheelies that just happened, when you weren't trying to achieve that end.

Mike

My seat is about 6 inches lower than stock.Dropped the suspension,lowered seat and radials.Still can wheelie it when I want to,specially with my wife on the back.

The wheelies are easy enough to get it. It's harder to keep it up. I can usually keep a wheelie going through 2nd gear and many times into 3rd. Too long a wheelie and you will burn up your engine (oil moves into the transmission). If you can hold it up through 3 gears (near vertical) then you will have that problem.

Sean Morley

The wheelies are easy enough to get it. It's harder to keep it up. I can usually keep a wheelie going through 2nd gear and many times into 3rd. Too long a wheelie and you will burn up your engine (oil moves into the transmission). If you can hold it up through 3 gears (near vertical) then you will have that problem.

Sean Morley
shit i wont have that problem not looking for trouble...just want a soft landing with gas controll in one gear...seeing someone put a one gear wheelie down nice and soft says alot to me

Sean Morley
sorry quick question going into second and some times 3rd you using clutch to shift gear or no clutch..thanks

Don't really think about it that much but most of the time it's clutch for the 1-2 and no clutch for the 2-3 (and higher). Playing around with 800+lbs in the air doesn't leave too much room for errors and I went through many sets of fork seals in my learning experiences. I still come down hard on occassion.

You've really got to get the front wheel way in the air to shift it. Otherwise it will come down hard and fast during the split second the chassis is unloaded.

There is a few pics on our youtube videos showing the wheelies at the launch but I try to keep those as close to the ground for max speed.

Sean Morley

My '07 will pull the whell off the ground and get squirelly (rear tire braking a bit loose) through the first 3 gears.

Then again, I'm 6 foot 1 and and I'm skinny. 160 lbs. wringing wet.

For all you big guys out there, imaging chopping 50 to 75 lbs. off your bike. That's a hell of a lot when you're only dealing with 630 lbs. of bike to begin with.

Regards,
Tom

Back