judging power wheel lift

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't really think about it that much but most of the time it's clutch for the 1-2 and no clutch for the 2-3 (and higher). Playing around with 800+lbs in the air doesn't leave too much room for errors and I went through many sets of fork seals in my learning experiences. I still come down hard on occassion.

You've really got to get the front wheel way in the air to shift it. Otherwise it will come down hard and fast during the split second the chassis is unloaded.

There is a few pics on our youtube videos showing the wheelies at the launch but I try to keep those as close to the ground for max speed.

Sean Morley

thanks for reply sean..I like to know how different riders approach things...not planning on shift gears any time soon .. but i will master the low gear wheelies with no clutch feather the gas WOT with soft landing ....somehow it just adds when telling a story

Last edited:
The wheelies are easy enough to get it. It's harder to keep it up. I can usually keep a wheelie going through 2nd gear and many times into 3rd. Too long a wheelie and you will burn up your engine (oil moves into the transmission). If you can hold it up through 3 gears (near vertical) then you will have that problem.

Sean Morley

Is that when the oil light comes on?

I tried my 1st launch the other day. 3000 rpm let the clutch out.. no wheel spin (I'm pretty sure) on cement, no wheelie, no oil light, I weigh 190.

Today I was at about 3000 in 2nd and went WOT, noticed the red light shortly before 3rd then noticed it was either still on or had come back on at the end of 3rd.

albran

I always had to cheat the front end up... getting the RPMs to 5k in first gear, slight let off, then whacking the throttle to wide open and the front wheel would come up. I could get it to come up again shifting hard into second and sometimes a slight bit in third. With a person on the back you can really feel it come up in third.
Before my little incident with the front axle, I was playing around and noticed a huge improvement in power by adding Morley's carb kit... a rolling start to WOT and bam! The front tire is in the air! I only got to do two of them before my bike about became a unicycle, but it looks like I finally know what some of you guys are talking about? hitting the throttle and getting that wheel pointing up.
Jeff

My '07 will pull the whell off the ground and get squirelly (rear tire braking a bit loose) through the first 3 gears.

Then again, I'm 6 foot 1 and and I'm skinny. 160 lbs. wringing wet.

For all you big guys out there, imaging chopping 50 to 75 lbs. off your bike. That's a hell of a lot when you're only dealing with 630 lbs. of bike to begin with.

Regards,
Tom

It is funny how different people view things completely opposite.

In my book 630 lbs has the Vmax verging on the catagory of "fat pig". There are alot of bikes out there with 150-200 less lbs and quite a bit more power.
I am doing everything I can to get the Vmax down to what I would consider to be only a little overweight.

i always liked a heavy bike and the feel a heavy bikes brings to the rode

Thats why I luv the VMAX its a machine, Sure there are tupperware bikes out there weighing in at 385 making 185 RWHP with a weight to HP rate of 2.08 lb to `1 HP when Mr Max is 630 making an avg of 105 RWHP (Stock) which equals 6lbs to HP
Mr MAX is what it is

I too love the feel of the heavy V-Max. I call it "substantial" and confidence inspiring. My RZ350 is on E-Bay right now and the reserve has been hit, so it is going. My next bike is going to be a Supermoto...pretty much the opposite of a Max. Tall, underpowered, light. We will see if I dig it.

BTW, I rode the Max today. I had my friend ride behind me to see if I had any blowby on hard acceleration. He said he saw no smoke, but he did see me blow out the rear tire on the 1-2 shift. I never even felt it, myself. That was on a mild launch and shifting at around 8k.....

Mike

I too love the feel of the heavy V-Max. I call it "substantial" and confidence inspiring. My RZ350 is on E-Bay right now and the reserve has been hit, so it is going. My next bike is going to be a Supermoto...pretty much the opposite of a Max. Tall, underpowered, light. We will see if I dig it.

BTW, I rode the Max today. I had my friend ride behind me to see if I had any blowby on hard acceleration. He said he saw no smoke, but he did see me blow out the rear tire on the 1-2 shift. I never even felt it, myself. That was on a mild launch and shifting at around 8k.....

Mike
thats great news Mike :eusa_dance:

Went out for a ride today and playing as usual I decided to practice wheel lift. well first attempt scared the ---- out of me !! I was rolling about 25 and hammered the throttle in 1st straight vertical and I released the throttle and down she came (Hard and racked my ---- on the false tank.2nd attempt rolling in 2nd about 40 or so I hammered the throttle once again and rode it out seemed like front wheel was off the ground for 100 feet or so( probably more like 15 feet) felt good though . I would love to learn how to ride a wheelie for 1st , 2nd , 3rd gear .My bike is very responsive to throttle so very touchy ,any one in this forum know to trick to keeping the wheel up for multiple gears? any advice is helpful. thx Jason:confused2:

get it high! Just don't carry it longer then third as it runs out of oil. Also, if you have stage seven it will suck oil into the intake (found out the hard way).

Sean

What angle are you putting it? I was wondering with that holley you have on your s/c, if its still getting enough fuel from the pump. or is your fuel sloshing around.

I think I'd want to have done a fork mod before attempting high wheelies. Mine is still stock and I know they suck. Just hitting a small pothole or going over train tracks will tell ya that. The damage to the seals is no dig deal but it's everything else that worries me. I can assume coming done hard has to do some damage on a bike this heavy. Then going 100 plus MPH just doesn't jive with me. I got into a wobble at 115 on my RZ it wasn't fun. I sure as hell wouldn't want one on a Max. You might wanna check the front end over, after a day of practice wheelies, before ya hit it WOT in 5th. :ummm:

trying to make it something its not wont help you... fuck up on a wheelie your screwed dont care what after market parts your using....knew of one kid years back on a stock max...who could make the max talk ride a wheelie all day long ....race sport bikes around rotarys and kick there ass...most is the rider ,not all the after market bolton crap..... get every so called improvement to the max money can buy..and this kid would still kick your ass highway top speed...curves..wheelies.......its the man not the machine

What angle are you putting it? I was wondering with that holley you have on your s/c, if its still getting enough fuel from the pump. or is your fuel sloshing around.
Front wheel is about 3 feet off the ground , and so far haven't had any trouble with a fuel problem.:thumbs up:

trying to make it something its not wont help you... fuck up on a wheelie your screwed dont care what after market parts your using....knew of one kid years back on a stock max...who could make the max talk ride a wheelie all day long ....race sport bikes around rotarys and kick there ass...most is the rider ,not all the after market bolton crap..... get every so called improvement to the max money can buy..and this kid would still kick your ass highway top speed...curves..wheelies.......its the man not the machine

Very true! This man actually prefers to keep the wheel DOWN. It is going to be a real challenge on my Husqvarna though. Wheelies are cool, but the second that front wheel is off the ground you are not in control. I am often amazed at the level of importance people put on wheelies. I could ride the hell out of them on my BMX bike when I was 13...then I grew up. :biglaugh:

Mike

Very true! This man actually prefers to keep the wheel DOWN. It is going to be a real challenge on my Husqvarna though. Wheelies are cool, but the second that front wheel is off the ground you are not in control. I am often amazed at the level of importance people put on wheelies. I could ride the hell out of them on my BMX bike when I was 13...then I grew up. :biglaugh:

Mike

im with you on wheelies if it happens during a good wot a power wheelie im all for that...one slip trying to ride one out and your health bike and riding is lost for a while..not a chance worth taking..that husqvarna must pull your arms off...what size and power rating is it

im with you on wheelies if it happens during a good wot a power wheelie im all for that...one slip trying to ride one out and your health bike and riding is lost for a while..not a chance worth taking..that husqvarna must pull your arms off...what size and power rating is it

Husky is a 450SMR. It makes about 50 HP at the wheel. It weighs 230 pounds.

Mike

i think most of you are thinking your wheel is of the groung when its realy just the huge amount of travel in your front end. my 89 went 10.23 with my 240lb ass on it ( not stock ) and the 02 i just got runs strong as hell too. the only time iv ever had it come up the way you guys are talking about is when my girlfriend was on the back and even then it would only do it in first not sec. like i sed the vmax has a HUGE amount of front end travel maybe it just feels like your wheels off the ground .

Latest posts

Back