Just bought my VMax

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats, Good Price... There are members all over Florida. I'm in St. Petersburg... Mid West Coast....

Sweet. I use to live down in that area for about 4 years. 2002-2006. I use to work in that building that is leased by General Dynamics off of Roosevelt.

I loved that area. I really enjoyed riding my 89' Virago around there.

It was great deal. I'll see just how good of a deal it is after I have a chance to thoroughly inspect it.

$2500 is a good buy for a 2000 vmax...
custom exhaust?? looks like its a stock exhaust with the ends drilled out for some sound.

enjoy it, they are alot of fun :biglaugh:

Are there any other members here in NE FL?
i know of one (ericc), but i think there are a couple more

{EDIT}
Welcome to the Forum!!!!

Here's some more that claim to live in jax.
12master
1highwaystar
ArthurR
blazn89
Bushido
cole2757
futuremax
gonehuntingnc07
hotrodgsx1
hotrodvmax
Jeff K
jmailley
purplemango
RacerJohn66
sgunlock
tjshark13
VEEMAX1998
vmaxmaniac
wheelie250

some of them are prolly just posers and aren't active posters, maybe even imposters, so who knows if you'll be able to get in contact with them. anyways, i'll bet there are a few more, that ride around an hour's radius of you. to find out, go to the "members" tab. to the far right, underneath the page index, you will find "search members" drop down. click the down arrow and select "Advanced". you will be taken to the Members List Search page. Enter what you think someone would claim as their stomping ground into the "Location" field and click the "Search Now" button. Happy stalking!

{/edit}

Welcome to the forum. You got a great price on that 2000.
Does that seat look like one of Sean's to anyone on here?

Welcome to the forum deek! You got a great buy on that 2000, sounds like the seller thought 15K was high mileage...."V Max with miles"....!

The bike is barely broken in, you'll be enjoying her for many years to come!

Just thinking, it takes 'a few good men' to lift a V Max out of a p/u....I wouldn't want that job! :biglaugh:

Wow....had to man-handle the bike out of the back of a truck...scary. Congrats and welcome. I lived in Jax for 12 years....some of the best times of my life. Have fun on that Max. Rick

Just thinking, it takes 'a few good men' to lift a V Max out of a p/u....I wouldn't want that job! :biglaugh:

I didn't want the job either. When they pulled up, I was like sweet! Then I asked where is the ramp? They both just broke out laughing and I got the horrible feeling deep in my gut.

Oddly enough, we were able to flag someone down driving by to help with the project. Lunacy knows no bounds.

The exhaust is stock. Yamaha is etched right on the muffler. I think they removed a plate that was on the end like in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clZZ6obsMDw

Either way, the bike runs fine and I can not argue with the price. I think it was dropped as the pipes on the right side have dents but I could not find any signs of scraping. Perhaps some one took a hammer to it. Not sure what would put 3 dents on a muffler and not scratch it in the process.

Thanks all for the welcome. This place is addictive. When I'm out and about, I find myself using the tapatalk app.

Sounds like she's tuned well and carbs synced spot on...........

The video is not of mine. That was one with an example exhaust mod that I believe the one I have has. Since you can tell by sound, I'll make a video of mine and upload it. I don't know what the sound quality of it will be as I'll be using my cell phone.

I plan on getting familiar with her for a month, then I'll start learning to do all the maintenance on her myself. Definitely plan on tinkering and modding.

Okay, here is a video walk around of my bike. I've found the following things:

1. Right front running light has a short. It works as a blinker but the running light goes off at times.
  2. Low tire pressure. Front had 8 psi and rear had about 20. I pumped those up to 31-33 ish.
  3. The front brake lever has part of the end broken off. Will fix that soon. Think its a 10 buck part.
  4. The ignition when turned fully clockwise, does not power the bike. I have to turn it only partially clockwise to get it turn on. The key doesn't feel like it is resting in a groove in this position.
  5. Had to clean the air filter.
  6. The after market high way pegs need to really be tighten down. May have to replace the bracket for them as no amount of tightening thus far has yielded any real results.
  7. Dents on right muffler and scratches on sissy bar.
  8. Braking is not as crisp as I'd like it but it does brake fine. I'll see if that can be tweaked.
  9. There are two switches I have no idea what they do. They may be after market additions. I'll have to reach out to the original owner because I can't find them in the service manual.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wE9EwxNfXi4

Can you tell from the sound if my carbs need to be tuned?

Attachments

• IMAG0009.jpg
    IMAG0009.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMAG0005.jpg
    IMAG0005.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 15
  • IMAG0010.jpg
    IMAG0010.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 14
judging from the craigslist ad, it has an aftermarket vboost controller of some sort. id bet thats what one of the switches are for. 1 for on/off and the other for the 3000rpm/6000rpm setting

One switch is probably the 3000-6000 vboost switch and the other is the fan switch...makes sense...

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

is one of the switches a 3 position switch? if so, id agree with jwood

They both only have two positions. I tried flipping then into every combination and nothing seems to happen. The fan never turns on. I'll try again with the bike in the run position. Should I hear anything if there is a change to enable/disable the V-Boost?

I would think that if the correct switch was in the off position you woul dbe able to turn the key on, but not hear the vboost servo move. as far as which side of the other switch works the 3000 and which side works the 6000 goes, only way to tell that is by riding the bike. ( you would have to find which one is the on/off switch first though) only reason i keep mentioning the on/off is he mentioned that setting in his craigslist ad.

Back