K&N pods vs stock air filter question?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

99 MAX

Reaction score
My new to me 99 has the 4 K&N pod filters with the 4 into 1 Kerker, don't know what main jets, has adjustable slide needles, if I wanted to put a stock air box back on, would I need to rejet? also, are these K&Ns pods safe in the rain?

It depends on the main jets. I have stock jetting so if you're running stock jets then no. Filters are perfectly fine...never had a water issue.

Thanks, do you know by chance what the stock mains are? I'm betting mine are bigger than stock, I'll know in a week or two.

The air box is a PITA to get on at least for me, can't wait to have the money to upgrade pipes/jets to get rid of it.

The airbox is more beneficial with it on then off. Also, if it won't go on easily then you need new airbox to carb boots.

Sean

Remember that if you look at DJ (DynoJet) jets the numbers may be higher for the same jet size. There's a chart somewhere here (I think Sean posted it - or maybe it's on his website) that shows equivalent DJ and Mikuni sizes and numbers.

The air box is a PITA to get on at least for me/QUOTE]

Have you tried using a smear of silicon lube around the inner lip of the rubbers?
Works well for me.

I also replaced the thin-wall breather tube with thicker heater hose (same i.d.) as this does not collapse when you try to get the air-box breather spigot into it.

The air box is a PITA to get on at least for me, can't wait to have the money to upgrade pipes/jets to get rid of it.
I'm assuming the breather hose is causing your grief? Remove the coolant overflow tank, just let it hang. I replaced the clamp with a hose clamp and stick a 1/4 drive socket and extension in to tighten or loosen the clamp. I also lengthened the hose a little when I put the tee in to run an extra breather line. This has made it easier for me. I lube the boots with a little CRC or WD-40 to get the box in place without a struggle.
Steve-o

also if it was set up with std 7 you should have air correctors in the carbs that you will need to remove if going back to stock airbox....

The air box is a PITA to get on at least for me/QUOTE]

Have you tried using a smear of silicon lube around the inner lip of the rubbers?
Works well for me.

I also replaced the thin-wall breather tube with thicker heater hose (same i.d.) as this does not collapse when you try to get the air-box breather spigot into it.
Yes, that damn breather hose :bang head: The boots went on fine, it was just a little hang here or there on each of them. But that damn hose, will replace that too the next time I'm in there.

My friend Steve at Under Pressure in Dania Beach FL and who has lots of experience w/both VMaxes & other non-H-D performance bikes, recommends KY Jelly to ease installation woes. There is also the trick of removing them & tossing them in boiling water to soften them, & placing them onto your carb bellmouths when hot. Me, I think the KY trick is a lot easier.

I also posted up awhile ago how I got my airbox to finally seat by straddling the forks w/my legs and using my butt, sitting on the complete airbox. First I stood on the pegs & then eased my legs forward. I heard & felt a satisfying little drop as I eased my bulk onto the airbox lid when the boots seated themselves as nice as can be.

I installed new boots on an old airbox. It drops right on the carbs with VERY minimal effort. Amazing what a difference fresh rubber makes!

I used to struggle with the airbox too. Until we started putting new boots on boxes that had hard ones. They should be very soft and pliable. Then the box will slide in place with finger pressure.

Sean

My '86 had decent rubber on it, and with the puke tank off and a finger holding the breather hose from underneath I never had any trouble getting the airbox on. I would never go with the pod filters.

If your going back to stock make sure the vboost servo and butterflies are still there too, some people remove them when going to a stage 7 like you have...

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Also if you hook up with Sean he can sell you a modified stock lid for your airbox with a big K&N filter in it and that way you don't have to try to get the air correctors out of the carbs...

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

I dropped it off this morning at a trusted shop to get the carbs cleaned and tuned, someday I will go into them myself, done many a thumper but no carb banks for me thankyou, I will see how she acts when I get her back then decide on the air box, Thanks for all the info.

Latest posts

Back