Looking for a specific website..

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Theemax

Reaction score
Anyone know of a good website, that would have ideas, and or photos of custom, unique shop benches, and storage ideas? I am finishing out my new garage, and want something other than standard bench....looking for some great ideas.

Google seems to just get me generic how-to type stuff, even on Google images. Somewhere out there, has to be a site showing some more innovative ideas.

I know I want to update my bench's with a layer of stainless. We are going to also weld a small "J" channel to the front of the bench as well as a small retaining lip around the edges. Then drill a small hole and weld a fitting in place. Route this down to a catch bucket. Then you can easily drain and squeegie any fluids to the front (or rear if put on the backside), and have it drain into the bucket.

Sean

we had a guy build a bench out of 2x4's and steel angle iron. We took 12' 2x4's and screwed them togather and this gave us a 4' thick bench top. Then we welded up a strong frame that could hold up to the top. than we through bolted it to the wall. The bench hung from the wall so you could clean under it. we also put a few 4x4's in place to help hold the bench up. When he got done all three of us got on it and jumped up and down and it dident move. We had a big vise on it and you could beat the hell out of anything and the bench just asked for more.

I have one bench that is currently under utilized. It weights around 2500lbs! it's 5' x 10' with 1" thick steel top! No moving that sucker!

Space & $ are your only limiting factors . Build it yourself based on what you have & need.

griotsgarage.com : for ideas & not cheap tools , shelving , etc .

I work at a cabinet shop and used to be a designer/draftsman. We do commercial buildings and such. We have done extensive work for Richard Childress Racing and others. Also, I managed the millwork/casework at Kevin Harvick's own race shop which turned out real nice.

I could help you design or fabricate anything your mind can dream up. It's all just time & money...or is it money & time? Anyway you slice it my wife ends up with most of mine...bummer. Let me know if I can help.

I work at a cabinet shop and used to be a designer/draftsman. We do commercial buildings and such. We have done extensive work for Richard Childress Racing and others. Also, I managed the millwork/casework at Kevin Harvick's own race shop which turned out real nice.

I could help you design or fabricate anything your mind can dream up. It's all just time & money...or is it money & time? Anyway you slice it my wife ends up with most of mine...bummer. Let me know if I can help.
What brand of cabinets/ storage systems do you typically work with? Is there a website you would recommend for us to go to work up some ideas? My shop which is still in the planning stage is going to be 36' w x 40' l with 12' side walls.

What brand of cabinets/ storage systems do you typically work with? Is there a website you would recommend for us to go to work up some ideas? My shop which is still in the planning stage is going to be 36' w x 40' l with 12' side walls.

The dream and necessity of every MI guy:

"Pole Barn!":biglaugh:

The dream and necessity of every MI guy:

"Pole Barn!":biglaugh:
Not for me, I'm a stick built kinda guy. Nothing against pole barns, just not what I want. It will be insulated w/ infloor heating, lots of storage, and will eventually be completely finished on the inside.
I designed the structure, will install the infloor heating system/ plumbing (yup for the washing machine and bathroom) Also I will be running electrical/ compressed air distribution system and build the office/ bathroom / clean/ paint room and storage mezzazine, and putiing in a couple of septic infiltrators.
I'm also going to make provisions so I can install a 2 post lift ( first 24' is going to have scissor trusses and the rest are going to be attic trusses). I'm building this around the idea of a motorcycle shop in ~1/2 of the area, 1/4 parking and 1/4 storage.

Last edited:
Butler or Heritage buildings are popular here on rural plots, but generally aren't allowed by code in most residential areas of single-family dwellings, unless it's acreage & zoned agricultural.

hey redbone, we generally build euro style plastic laminate cabinets although we do custom cabinets also. I think a euro style box would work great for a garage and plastic laminate countertops are pretty inexpensive and durable to chemicals and such. I will do some research on where to purchase these as I remeber one place you could order online and they would send the boxes shipped flat for "some assembly required". I can help design what you are needing given some input from you and a few field measurements.

I know I want to update my bench's with a layer of stainless. We are going to also weld a small "J" channel to the front of the bench as well as a small retaining lip around the edges. Then drill a small hole and weld a fitting in place. Route this down to a catch bucket. Then you can easily drain and squeegie any fluids to the front (or rear if put on the backside), and have it drain into the bucket.

Sean

Your late! I have had my work bench at my moms house bent up like that about 18 years ago. I have a 1 1/4" wide gutter and about 3/4" deep slopes from one end to the other. Works awesome , just put a bucket under one end and catch all the crap. I picked up the idea from my uncle that had a mechanics shop years ago. :punk:

G

Latest posts

Back