losing one cylinder, gas leaking

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naughtyG

Reaction score
So today I'm riding along, in town and a little highway, maybe 30-40mns altogether. I stop for lunch, get back on 1/2 hour later and ride on. It's really hot and sunny, and everything's fine. Then I stop for ice cream and the engine just dies off idle. :ummm:

After my ice cream I get back on, and it's really difficult to start. It does eventually by giving it a wristful of throttle, but it's idling really low (<700) and keeps dying unless I keep gassing it. I can smell gas a lot again. Riding off, it's really lumpy (typical of running on 3 cylinders) until it gets up in revs (maybe 5k ish) at which point it picks up and flies.

When I get home, I disconnect cylinder #1 and it makes no difference. I knew this is the culprit because I've been having this problem intermittently and the #1 plug has looked most fouled last two times I pulled them. I think maybe I have a mad COP, so I swap it but it makes no difference. I also start noticing the fuel pump is clicking an awful lots, even after just stopping the bike and starting it again.
After trying to start it on 3 cyl. a few times, I notice a leak under the left side. It's coming from the left exhaust, where the headers meet the slipons, and it smell like gas, but it looks a tiny bit creamy. I just changed oil recently and it was fine, and the coolant level hasn't moved in ages.

So to me it sounds like the #1 cylinder is getting flooded. I couldn't troubleshoot any more as I ran out of time today, but I will check if I have a decent spark next. I assume it's there because the motor seems to go great once up in revs. Consistent with flooding, right?

Now, how can a needle valve suddenly start sticking on a hot bike? Is that even possible, or should I look somewhere else? I have a feeling I'll need to tear into the carbs again, what does anyone think?

Plug is brand new (one month old), and I rechecked all gaps when I adjusted valves a couple of weekends ago :confused2:

What puzzles me most is that it runs just fine for a good while, then (always so far) when hot and after a while of running it starts doing this.

Is it maybe more likely electrical? Bad TCI? :ummm::ummm:

So today I'm riding along, in town and a little highway, maybe 30-40mns altogether. I stop for lunch, get back on 1/2 hour later and ride on. It's really hot and sunny, and everything's fine. Then I stop for ice cream and the engine just dies off idle. :ummm:

After my ice cream I get back on, and it's really difficult to start. It does eventually by giving it a wristful of throttle, but it's idling really low (<700) and keeps dying unless I keep gassing it. I can smell gas a lot again. Riding off, it's really lumpy (typical of running on 3 cylinders) until it gets up in revs (maybe 5k ish) at which point it picks up and flies.

When I get home, I disconnect cylinder #1 and it makes no difference. I knew this is the culprit because I've been having this problem intermittently and the #1 plug has looked most fouled last two times I pulled them. I think maybe I have a mad COP, so I swap it but it makes no difference. I also start noticing the fuel pump is clicking an awful lots, even after just stopping the bike and starting it again.
After trying to start it on 3 cyl. a few times, I notice a leak under the left side. It's coming from the left exhaust, where the headers meet the slipons, and it smell like gas, but it looks a tiny bit creamy. I just changed oil recently and it was fine, and the coolant level hasn't moved in ages.

So to me it sounds like the #1 cylinder is getting flooded. I couldn't troubleshoot any more as I ran out of time today, but I will check if I have a decent spark next. I assume it's there because the motor seems to go great once up in revs. Consistent with flooding, right?

Now, how can a needle valve suddenly start sticking on a hot bike? Is that even possible, or should I look somewhere else? I have a feeling I'll need to tear into the carbs again, what does anyone think?

float needle can stick any time if it gets a piece of dirt in it. now maybe its stuck open and flooding out the bike. how is the fuel filter? have you done recent work on the carbs or float adjustment? is there gas in the oil?

float needle can stick any time if it gets a piece of dirt in it. now maybe its stuck open and flooding out the bike. how is the fuel filter? have you done recent work on the carbs or float adjustment? is there gas in the oil?

I tore into the carbs last year and properly cleaned everything and renewed a bunch of rubber, but anything's possible as it's been a while and the bike sat for 6-7 weeks twice since.
Fuel filter's always looked clean, but I'm gonna replace it soon anyway just in case.

I just changed oil a few weeks ago and didn't smell any gas in it - I guess I could pump some out of the sump tomorrow and check.

I will check compression and spark tomorrow, if both are good I guess the carbs are coming off to check the bowl and valve..

Latest posts

Back