Mechanical help NM, TX area

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dshaw

Reaction score
Hello, I bought my first vmax, 1985 model about 2 months ago. I put a 1000 miles on it and started having problems. I cant get the bike to start at all now.:bang head: Is there anyone around Clovis, New Mexico area that can assist me if I get the bike to them? I will go help and can pay someone but hate to take it to a bike shop, they charge so much and seems like they just guess until they get the right part.:confused2:

With the help from this group and some basic metric tools you probably already have you can do the repair yourself I am sure. Needed to describe the problem in much more detail though.

Does it crank but not fire, does it crank but make lots of rocks grinding together noises and not turn the engine over, Does it not crank at all, Battery condition (voltage measured - age), Fuses good, and so on. Give us something to help you start with.

Sean

First started with a hot start problem. I rode it about 60 miles shut it off and returned about an hour later to leave but would not start. Tried starting fluid in the carbs but no help. Went back about 10 hours later and it fired right up. Rode it home 60 miles and shut it off. Went back out in about an hour and it started right up. Did this several times and no problems again. A few days ago i started it up and it started fine but was running real rough and I could hear a popping out of one maybe two exhaust pipes (have four). I ran some sea foam in it and it started running better. Shut it off and now it wont start. Cranks fine and its getting gas. I think it was you that told me to check the crimp fix thing. I did this today but I could not get any of the soider to flow into the crimp but I crimped it down real good and retaped it but still just cranks over. I have nevedr messed with a bike, cars im ok with but never bikes. Guess its time to start.

First started with a hot start problem. I rode it about 60 miles shut it off and returned about an hour later to leave but would not start. Tried starting fluid in the carbs but no help. Went back about 10 hours later and it fired right up. Rode it home 60 miles and shut it off. Went back out in about an hour and it started right up. Did this several times and no problems again. A few days ago i started it up and it started fine but was running real rough and I could hear a popping out of one maybe two exhaust pipes (have four). I ran some sea foam in it and it started running better. Shut it off and now it wont start. Cranks fine and its getting gas. I think it was you that told me to check the crimp fix thing. I did this today but I could not get any of the soider to flow into the crimp but I crimped it down real good and retaped it but still just cranks over. I have nevedr messed with a bike, cars im ok with but never bikes. Guess its time to start.

Larger -hotter soldering iron, sweat it like a pipe.

How can you tell it's getting gas? Did you remove the spark plugs to have a look? That's your next best bet, because then you can also check that you're getting a good strong blue spark.

There are a few silly little things that go wrong on '85s, most common being a little square relay under the left scoop and behind the electrical panel under said scoop, which controls the safety devices such as clutch lever switch, neutral switch and side stand switch and will stop the motor from running if any condition isn't met. When that relay fails the symptoms can be what you're experiencing.

How can you tell it's getting gas? Did you remove the spark plugs to have a look? That's your next best bet, because then you can also check that you're getting a good strong blue spark.

There are a few silly little things that go wrong on '85s, most common being a little square relay under the left scoop and behind the electrical panel under said scoop, which controls the safety devices such as clutch lever switch, neutral switch and side stand switch and will stop the motor from running if any condition isn't met. When that relay fails the symptoms can be what you're experiencing.

well after trying to start it numerous times I could smell gas and I sprayed starting fluid righ into the carbs before. I guess I can tests the switches with a meter before and after the switch.

You still aren't saying if it cranks over but no fire or if it doesn't crank at all. What's the battery voltage when cranking? A cheap meter will tell you. If it doesn't crank when hot that's common on the early engines since there was a heavier duty starter put on them starting in 1990.

Sean

You still aren't saying if it cranks over but no fire or if it doesn't crank at all. What's the battery voltage when cranking? A cheap meter will tell you. If it doesn't crank when hot that's common on the early engines since there was a heavier duty starter put on them starting in 1990.

Sean

He did say it cranks fine and is getting gas (can smell it).

I think it's the lil' relay that controls all the safety switches, I've seen this fail on a few bikes with exactly those symptoms.

Yeah it cranks over great, brand new battery and I even had a battery charger on it helping out when I was trying numerous times to get it started. I will see about the switches today. I HOPE it fires up. I need a good long ride.

Ok pulled a plug wire and no spark. I have the left scoop off and see the small relay, I think. With the key in the off position I get no wires with any power to them. With the key in on position I get full power to the red/white, the grey and the blue wires. The red/blue striped wire shows .53 volts with the key on. The black and the blue wire never show any power to them. I did not crank the engine while testing any. Is this right? What now? AND THANK YOU for everyone's help.

Does anyone know if that relay is working with the info I posted? Im not getting any fire to the plugs. What else should I look at?

I'm not much of an electrician so can't help you much with diagnosis. It could be a number of things but as noted you can start bypassing components and eliminate them from the situation. I can send you a number of electrical parts to test with if you want. I'd just need you to email me directly with your request and what you would like to borrow. If you find and fix the problem you can then buy the part you need from me or get a replacement and send my parts back. See the electrical loaner program in the Morleys Muscle section.

Sean
[email protected]

I got fire. Not sure what happened or why but she fired up. Running like crap. Cant get it to rev at all. It will idle ok but when I go to gas on it it falls on its face (out of gear). I can play with the choke and get it to rev some. Getting strong smell of exhaust and some smoke. Im going to try a fuel filter, any other advise? Man sure glad to hear it run at least. getting closer

Took filter off and blew it out for now. After putting it back on I started it and same thing. there is never very much fuel in the filter is that normal? I can hear the fuel pump running but dont see but a little fuel in the filter, maybe the bottom 1/4 of the filter has fuel in it.

If the pump is clicking rapidly then it may have a displaced diaphram (look for that on the forum here). The bike will not rev without the airbox in place if you are trying that.

Sean

Sorry but I could not find a link for the displaced diaphram using the search on here. Feel like a dummy and a pain in the rear. :ummm: I did ahve the air box off also. Live and learn.

Where can I find the displaced diaphram link? I entered it in the search but only one return that did not help any. Thanks

Also if you suspect the sidestand relay just unplug it, we had one bike that was not firing on all cylinders and unplugging the relay cured the problem.

Back