Might have found my problem....

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shane_desselle

Reaction score
Ok, so I was outside tinkering with my bike again today and I found what I think might be the problem I've been trying to solve. The bike is way down on power and has a backfire from the left side pipe. When I hammer down on the throttle it feels like part of the power is cutting in and out. I've been thinking it was a carb problem. So I pulled the plug out of #3 and I noticed that the rubber boot is torn. As far as I can tell, the hard plastic under the rubber isn't cracked. The plug was good and black and the metal below the ceramic (the part that's like a nut) had a weird whit color like corrosion. I pulled the plug wire off and the wire on the coil side had a chunk of green corrosion in it. The coil also had green corrosion inside of it. I cleaned them both real good, swapped the plug wires on #1 and #3, and swapped those 2 coils around also. As far as I can tell there's no change. I think I'm going to put new plugs and wires and see if it changes anything. Do yall think plug wires could be causing these problems I've been having? If I'm riding down the road I hear a intermittent backfire from the left pipe. I'm thinking that the wire is bad and causing it to fire intermittently under load.

If you swapped the wires and got no change, wires probably not the problem.

Have you tried swapping the plugs? I have discovered bad plugs that appear good with this method.

I would get a set of COP's from Gannon on this site and pitch the coil setup, then your spark question is solved. It sounds to me like your carbs are most likely the issue here, as a plug that isn't firing will be wet with fuel when removed and checked.

swapped the plug wires on #1 and #3, and swapped those 2 coils around also. As far as I can tell there's no change. .

Based on what you said above, it sounds like the problem may be somewhere else.

Did you test to see if you have spark on all 4 cylinders? If not, my first step would be to trim the plug wires to get rid of corrosion. Clean the coils. Replace the plugs and re-test.

If you can verify good spark I would move on to carbs and fuel delivery.

I thought you were going to send your carbs to Sean for a proper cleaning & verification of parts inside...then go from there.

I was just tinkering around with it because it bothers the shit out of me. I swapped the coils AND the wires around and there was no change so I guess its gonna be a carb problem after all. This weekend I'm going to take them off and send them in.

Well, it never hurts to get rid of any green oxidization found in your plug/coil wiring. It ain't helping anything, that's for sure.

If you haven't already, plan on a new fuel filter before re-installing those freshly cleaned carbs when you get them back. It's way too easy to get teeny weeny specs of Shiite back down into the jet blocks on the OEM carbs, even after they've been properly cleaned.

Latest posts

Back