Missing vent hoses?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mundmc

Reaction score
Okay,
So I shotgunned carbs 1 and 2 today. I had to run to the hardware store to grab a screw extractor kit for THREE of the carb screws, and then it started to rain, so I covered her up (I park on the street in Brooklyn, far from ideal shop).

Keeping in mind I know very little, here's the question: I noticed that I'm missing what I believe are "vent hoses", 2 from the airbox and 4 from the carbs. I don't know if I ever had them.
a) how bad is this?
b) my bike was knocked over by a car recently, might the missing vent hoses and it being sideways for a night, possibly in the rain, be contributing to my abruptly new bad idle and power loss?

Been reading about vent hoses about an hour, figured I'd just ask. Would a Stage 7 kit help? I dunno what it is, but I feel really cool saying, "I installed a Stage 7 air intake I my motorcycle." ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okay,
So I shotgunned carbs 1 and 2 today. I had to run to the hardware store to grab a screw extractor kit for THREE of the carb screws, and then it started to rain, so I covered her up (I park on the street in Brooklyn, far from ideal shop).

Keeping in mind I know very little, here's the question: I noticed that I'm missing what I believe are "vent hoses", 2 from the airbox and 4 from the carbs. I don't know if I ever had them.
a) how bad is this?
b) my bike was knocked over by a car recently, might the missing vent hoses and it being sideways for a night, possibly in the rain, be contributing to my abruptly new bad idle and power loss?

Been reading about vent hoses about an hour, figured I'd just ask. Would a Stage 7 kit help? I dunno what it is, but I feel really cool saying, "I installed a Stage 7 air intake I my motorcycle." ;)

There are 4 vent tubes that go from the carbs to the upper sides of the airbox. If you run without them you MAY get a surge holding the throttle steady around 50 - 65 mph. There is one large hose from the crankshaft that goes to the back of the airbox and the nozzle in the front bottom of the airbox is a drain and does not have a hose. I did put one on mine and ran it to the bottom of the engine. Stage 7 is not hard to install as it is a jet kit with 4 K&N individual filters.
I ran for the longest time without the 4 hoses from the carbs with no problems.
#54 & #53 is where the 4 hoses will go to to mount to the airbox from the carbs.
http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Yamaha/Motorcycle/2003/V-MAX - VMX12R/INTAKE/parts.html

I would avoid making any modifications (Stg. 7, etc.) until you resolve the current issues plaguing your carbs.

Roger that. Still raining today and I can't shotgun carbs 3 and 4, which is okay since my carb-sync-tool thing hasn't arrived yet anyway.

I read more about futzing with Stage 1/7 last night, and it's too over-my-head if I can't straighten out this one problem. Will follow up with updates.

AFTER you get the other issues fixed, there are some great recipes to follow that will get you close.

Back