MPG question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sirgijoe

Reaction score
Okay, so I have owned my 2005 vmax for several weeks now, and have about 4 fuel ups. Each fuel up has been at 80 miles, the fuel light doesn't come on, but the bike starts to stall out causing me to switch the gas over to reserve and find a gas station.

here are my main concerns.

I know the fuel light works, as it comes on when I am starting the bike up, so what would cause it to not light up?

Also, I have yet to ride the bike hard, and the bike sounds and runs great. the only time it isn't 100% is when I first start it up and its cold, and it warms up in literally 10 seconds, I barely have to use the choke when its cold, most times < 70 plus degrees > choke isn't needed.

I think I have heard maybe 4 or 5 pops total so far from the bike, and they are all when they bike is cold and I try to give it some throttle to soon, never when the bike is warmed up.

as far as I know, the bike is stock, shouldn't I be getting better mpg? at 80 miles, give or take a mile to get to a station, I'm adding in 3.2 gallons of fuel.

any thoughts?

Is this highway miles or in town miles?

Sent from my SCH-R890 using Tapatalk

That does seem low. Having owned my max just over a year I tested my light last week and it came on at 120 miles (I had a gallon gas can in my tail pack). When I filled up it took 3.2 gallons. I just filled up after a 46 mile ride (highway and back road) and put in 1.2 gallon (38 mpg). If anyone can help you it's the guys in this forum.

Since you don't have to choke the bike when starting cold, I'd say either it's way too rich or your choke plungers aren't closing fully.
Is this Vmax stock OR do you have a jet kit and aftermarket exhaust installed ?
If it's jetted what exact jet kit, jet sizes and pipes do you have ?

I get normally 36-38 mpg from my stock 2000 with stock jetting and Supertrapp slip-ons when riding on mostly twisty back roads and getting into the VBoost a few times.
The best I ever got was 39-40 mpg on the highway and the worst was around 25 mpg when hitting the VBoost like a mad man.

^^ yep 25-28 in town. with stage 7
hwy i've seen 34-37 mpg

rule of thumb, I get gas every 75 miles.
And ALWAY RESET MY ODOMETER when fueling.

You might have a problem with the low fuel sensor thingy in the tank. That pretty bad fuel economy though, I'm getting 35mpg with a Marks 4-1 pipe and stage 1 jet kit. Have you ever had the carbs sync'd or serviced?

I have stock exhaust, don't think there is any stage kit on it, how would I tell without taking it all apart.

It's a good mix of town driving and country roads ( 55 mph) I haven't even took it on a highway yet.

You might have a problem with the low fuel sensor thingy in the tank. That pretty bad fuel economy though, I'm getting 35mpg with a Marks 4-1 pipe and stage 1 jet kit. Have you ever had the carbs sync'd or serviced?

Nope, maybe I should look into that

In town when the bike was stock, I would only get 30-33. Your not far from that. I wonder when the bike was last tuned up.....or even if your running the right air pressure in the tires? Low air pressure by itself can decrease mileage by 10-20%.

In town when the bike was stock, I would only get 30-33. Your not far from that. I wonder when the bike was last tuned up.....or even if your running the right air pressure in the tires? Low air pressure by itself can decrease mileage by 10-20%.

it has pirelli tires, they call for 42psi cold max, i have both tires at about 35 psi < is this okay? >

i figure i will go through it really good and clean and tune everything this winter.

I have stock size tires so I use 36 psi in the rear tire and 33 psi up front as recommended in the manual.

Attachments

• Recommended-tire-air-pressure.jpg
    Recommended-tire-air-pressure.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 16
it has pirelli tires, they call for 42psi cold max, i have both tires at about 35 psi < is this okay? >

i figure i will go through it really good and clean and tune everything this winter.

Yep....thats fine. Just using that as an example that sometimes it can be the little things that are over looked that make a big difference.

Just as a point of reference, I get 38 mpg with stock everything, proper tire inflation and a 50 mile ride which includes country roads and 6-7 stop lights in town.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

25 MPG for me due to:

full Dale Walker Holeshot exhaust
K&N filter
unknown carb mods
T-boost mod
Lots of VBOOST

well,, i was looking at the carbs after watching how to do the peashooter cleaning, and it looks like someone has done this already as the brass plugs are gone already.

which to be honest isn't an issue with me, but as I looked into each hole to look at the a/f screw I noticed that there isn't one in the rear left side.

it just looks like a shiny bowl shaped hole, i don't even see threads where the screw goes,, the screw is present in every other hole....

should I start to worry now? i find it kinda hard to imagine that a/f screw is missing, as the bike runs great and idles fine...

well,, i was looking at the carbs after watching how to do the peashooter cleaning, and it looks like someone has done this already as the brass plugs are gone already.

which to be honest isn't an issue with me, but as I looked into each hole to look at the a/f screw I noticed that there isn't one in the rear left side.

it just looks like a shiny bowl shaped hole, i don't even see threads where the screw goes,, the screw is present in every other hole....

should I start to worry now? i find it kinda hard to imagine that a/f screw is missing, as the bike runs great and idles fine...

Unbelievable!!!! You need to pm dannymax and you will need a/f screw, metal washer , o-ring and spring.
I would take them all out and see that all these parts are on each one.

Back