My '85 VIN...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Recall it was 'the hot bike' that year. They sold over five times what they expected to.

As to bikes per state, places w/low populations & short riding seasons won't sell as many as Sun Belt states with top-15 in population rankings or someplace like MI which has high sales for things like bikes, boats, and trailers. Dealers buy what sells. And where it sells.

Also recall in the USA market there was no '1987' Vmax Left-over '85 & '86 models filled the demand and as they got scarce, the market was primed for the 1988's. The other manufacturers also didn't bother trying to contest things: bye-bye Madura, Sabre/Magna, Eliminator.
You are correct there was no 87 model imported to the USA, but Canda and Europe got the 87, not many were made arounf 640 that year, how do i know? I own an 87 Vmax same color as your 88, but a few differences
1- different needle jets
2- Chrome Tach/Temp cover ( only 87's came with it)
3- Speedo reads in Kilometers only
My VIN ends 0105 Fourth one made in 1987

Last edited:
You are correct there was no 87 model imported to the USA, but Canda and Europe got the 87, not many were made arounf 640 that year, how do i know? I own an 87 Vmax same color as your 88, but a few differences
1- different needle jets
2- Chrome Tach/Temp cover ( only 87's came with it)
3- Speedo reads in Kilometers only
My VIN ends 0105 Fourth one made in 1987
No Vmax emblems on the side covers.

1985 Vin 1385
Inherited from My best friends widow after he passed
He bought it late 86 as the second owner
with 2k miles 155k now

That's the most miles I've heard anyone lay claim to. Post some pics of that veteran.

Back