my 96

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kboonhower

Reaction score
ran my 96 on the dyno for the first time to day. It has kerker exhaust, stage 7 jet kit and has had the vboost removed so its on all the time. Im posting my run i was a little dissapointed but yall tell me what you think

Attachments

• VMAX DYNO.JPEG
    VMAX DYNO.JPEG
    171.8 KB · Views: 126
I'm sure a little tune and tweak can bring those numbers up some 7-15 hp (not all that low for the mods). Looks like the dyno place was a little on the hot side where you had it done at 85+ degrees during the pulls.

What altitude are you at???

Theres alway room for improvement no matter how high the numbers :biglaugh:

:cheers:

Neil

Well i am in columbia SC so close to sea level. the dyno guy said my air/fuel was spot on so what kind of tuning could i do.

Like I said, your numbers are not out of line with what most get with the stage 7 and a kerker style pipe. Some get a little more from that setup, others not as much:

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Speedway/2476/dyno6.htm

http://www.ufocycles.com/120+club/120+ members/rick.htm

Are you running the main DJ175 or DJ165 jets? Do you have a good sync on your carbs? What baffle configuration do you have in that kerker...competition...none??? I have heard people complain that the Kerker systems give more torque on the bottom, but, lose HP above the midrange. :confused2:

More fuel, more air, more fire, and more flow is about all you can do.

Maleko89 is one of the ones to talk to with carb tuning questions. Maybe he will chime in soon?

Some bikes just run better than others. Your's is no slouch by any means putting out 111 RWHP!

Neil

I pulled 121 hp ,stage 7 and HMF exhaust then 127 after porting and big cams.Horse power does not come easily.I am going to race mine before going to the dyno to see how much the flatslides added.

I pulled 121 hp ,stage 7 and HMF exhaust then 127 after porting and big cams.Horse power does not come easily.I am going to race mine before going to the dyno to see how much the flatslides added.

Exactly...I think the Kerker might be his problem? Still don't know the fuel flow setup on this one or main jet size.

That Kerker would make a nice boat anchor I'm betting :biglaugh: . Drop the cans/can and run her full open for the first test. Learn what the curve does, then modify.

I've got a few stock wide open videos vs. 2" full flow around here. Hint Hint...your exhaust is not helping...go with Marks, Dale's, HMF, or God forbid UFO and see what that does.

If nothing else, they'll look better than a 4-1 on your Max!

Neil

My stock 99 (before engine went) with Kerker, 2.5" comp baffle, and stage seven made 127.1 rwhp with stock jets (it was 124 rwhp setup like they recommeded). With our jet kit it made 125.8rwhp but more torque. Since then it has made up that power difference with a simple addition to the kit we made.

Most make over 120 with that setup but not all. Production variences are the reason. Possibly clutch slip though the graph did not show that at all. Weather conditions don't make much difference since the dyno corrects for that.

Nothing wrong with that exhaust. I've tested about every kind out there and there is NO correlation between HP and the pipe (a full header that is). I've run Kerkers for years (with carious cans) and am consistently the fastest stock engined bike at the track (which a lot of that is the rider).

Tuning is near perfect. Main and needle setting are very good. I would take another look at the A/F screws and maybe turn them in a bit. Most of the time you can set them with an A/F ratio closer to 17-18 which is what we see on bikes from the factory (helps pass emmissions).

Don't read too much in the numbers. Torque curve is great and will make the bike feel very nice all around. The second fastest bike that races with me has NEVER made over 120rwhp though he consistently is running 11.30's-11.40's and right on my heals (it helps he is 40lbs lighter then me too).

If you wanted to get a slightly higher number (maybe 3-4 hp) you could lean it out just a little bit with one size smaller mains. you'd loose a bit of torque and gain a bit of HP.

Sean Morley

I agree with what Sean said. Don't live by the numbers the dyno says. I'm not sure what the archiving is like on the Yahoo lists, but if you look up the posts by Phil (vmax321) on the vmoatech list, he is huge into racing with a couple of Long Rod motors. He found that he was slower! in the 1/4 when he tuned to higher HP numbers on the Dyno.

I too will say that there is nothing wrong with Kerkers.Actually a lot of the big numbers have been made with them.

I am actually considering going to a kerker or other 4-1.They scavenge the best and can make the most power.I also am thinking about mounting a nitrous bottle where the left can used to be.

Hope I didn't offend anyone with the Kerker jab :confused2: . Just doing my Chevy vs. Ford debate via VMax exhaust systems (GM Wins) :biglaugh:

Like I said earlier, a lot depends on the baffle configuration being run in those things. Comp baffles would be the only way to dyno that setup I would think.

I respect any company that took the time to develop an exhaust system for Mr. Max!

:punk:

Neil

ran my 96 on the dyno for the first time to day. It has kerker exhaust, stage 7 jet kit and has had the vboost removed so its on all the time. Im posting my run i was a little dissapointed but yall tell me what you think

Your A/F seems to be perfect. One thing that I do not like is they always set the dyno on smoothing 5.It kind of averages what is really going on.Next time I am there I am going to try turning it down some maybe 2 or 3.

What can-baffle are you running? The only reason that I didn't go with a kerker is because I like the 2 can look better.BUT If you look at the bikes at the drag strip they are all running 4-1.Way better scavenging and power.I gotta have one! LOL!

the bike feels good when you ride it i was just thinking it would be a higher number. I'll have to take the carbs apart to see what size they are. I had it dynoed at a hp shoot off at the local honda dealer. I was the highest powered crusier there closest compition was a Valkarie 1500 V6 had mod carbs and full exhaust only put down 96 hp.

Buy a can of this and follow the directions and I'll bet your numbers go up.

Attachments

• et.jpg
    et.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 42

Latest posts

Back