my first harley ride

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My wife saw an XR the other day and liked it, and she normally doesn't like HDs. She asked me if it was a Buell, and when I told her it was HD she said she might actually ride one of those. I wouldn't turn down an XR in my stable, but I am not rushing out to buy one either.

Well, they have a nice museum, I saw it a couple weeks ago!

One of my friends has an '80 80 cu.in. Lowrider he bought new. We have gone to Daytona 18 times together. I have brought my various bikes over the years, but the two I have ridden the most are two which I still have, an FZR1000 & my VMax. We used to like the ride back into town from the Fri. night short track races at the Daytona Municipal Stadium on LPGA Blvd. because you could keep it turned-up out in the countryside. He was limited to 85, as he said anything after that was a strain on the bike, it didn't feel good after that. That's what, about second gear on a 'Max? Still, since he is the original owner of the bike and it is an occasional use bike, it's in good shape, and he can sell it for more than he paid for it new. I can't say that about my 'Max!

He lives in Wellington, a tony part of Palm Beach Co. in FL & there are a lot of H-D Evo & Twin Cam 88 owners around there. He had one of them tell him, "we don't like letting you ride in-front of us because when we get home, our bikes and our clothes both have to be washed because your bike throws oil out the exhaust!" it's nothing like pools of oil collecting beneath the bike when he stops, but it is an original Shovelhead with 20K+ mi. on it, the heads have never been off, so it has been pretty-reliable for him since he bought it new. I have experienced the gratis "oil shower" myself.

I would buy a Ducati before I bought a H-D. I like the Multistrada, but I don't want to be stuck in a racer's crouch in traffic as I would be on a more-racing inspired Ducati.

Spent half of Saturday on a '02 883 xl. My max is under the knife so my boss let me take it out so we could do some riding. Solid mount engine, so it vibrates like crazy. Slow as balls.

Still had a good time being out on the road with the wind in my face and that is what its all about.

I rode an 08 sportster custom. At the time (last year), I was being stupid, decided that cheap shipping and free winter storage were worth it to trade my v-max.

I had all kinds of problems when I went out on it, I was forgetting to upshift, Blinker buttons were weird as hell, and I couldn't properly brace myself against the wind. First time I went full throttle on it, I gave it an extra twist just to make sure I was full open.

Long story short, they tried to screw me, and wouldn't budge on the price of my bike, or theirs at all, I got up, and left a nice black snake on their entrance.

EDIT- Actually, I don't really mind the motorcycles, even with how high priced they are, nor do the riders bother me, since I know, statistically speaking, most are doctors, lawyers and the like, and are looking for the same weekend release everyone else does.

What really burns me up, and makes me never want to buy one, is the dealers themselves. They are assholes, pure and simple. Only once before did I ever deal with a dealership that was that stupid, and outright dishonest.

Last edited:
I really get amused with all these Harley bashing posts I read here.

My '93 Vmax (miracle bike) is sitting here leaking oil from the shift shaft seal, stator wires, and cover 2 crush washer. I have to order everything online because my local yamaha dealer has nothing in stock (including an oil filter). I just replaced the front brake lines yesterday because both lower ones were leaking above the banjo fittings. I found Russell lines online because no one could possibly afford the stock ones.

I like playing with the Vmax but the ONLY thing it does well is go really fast in a straight line. It handles like a pig, rides like shit, has marginal brakes, and needs gas every 100 miles. I didn't buy it to ride from coast to coast, just to blow off steam and it does that well.

On the other hand, I can ride my '08 Harley ElectraGlide Classic 500-700 miles a day, stopping for gas every 225 miles, doesn't leak oil, rides like a dream and makes me smile just like the Vmax and costs about the same as a new Vmax. I have put 36,000 miles on it with only fluid changes and engine mods(my choice, not needed mods). I just put my third set of tires on it at 36,000 miles. It won't go 150 mph but it will go plenty fast to get me in trouble.

As far as dealers, my local HD dealer is competent, honest, orders after market parts for my Vmax for me at a discount, and treats every customer with respect. Harley parts are MUCH cheaper than Vmax parts and almost always availble locally.
Go to a Harley forum and tell them you bought a Vmax and you just get congratulations, not a bunch of insecure guys picking it apart because they once rode one that had problems so they are all junk.

I can certainly understand not liking a particular brand of bike but I sure can't understand the crap I see written here.

Now that I'm done ranting it's back to trying to solve my oil leaks.

I think HD has some of the most beautiful bikes made. I love the look of the crossbones springer, but I need more than that. For a 1500+cc engine, it's a dog. My VTX 1300 will outrun it stock to stock, and is way smoother. The only thing harley does better is gas mileage. Most harleys get 54-56 mpg. That's nothing to sneeze at.

I rode an XR1200. It didn't impress me at all. On a first gear rolling start, I went WOT to see what it do. Not much. Tried to pull the front wheel up. Not happening. Went for a hard launch at a red light, and fried the clutch. POS

I think HD has some of the most beautiful bikes made. I love the look of the crossbones springer, but I need more than that. For a 1500+cc engine, it's a dog. My VTX 1300 will outrun it stock to stock, and is way smoother. The only thing harley does better is gas mileage. Most harleys get 54-56 mpg. That's nothing to sneeze at.

I rode an XR1200. It didn't impress me at all. On a first gear rolling start, I went WOT to see what it do. Not much. Tried to pull the front wheel up. Not happening. Went for a hard launch at a red light, and fried the clutch. POS
A good friend of mine lives in rural Missouri and after a lot of research decided that he wanted to buy a used VTX1300. I found him a really clean '09 with 3,000 miles on it. He sent me the money and I picked it up for him. I rode it 50 miles home and didn't care for the way it handled. Not bad, just different than I was used to. The thing that really made an impression on me was how cheaply it was made. Everything was plastic or chromed plastic. The chrome on the "dash" panel was bubbling up all over. The Honda dealer told him that it was a common problem and not to replace it as it would just happen again. As far as Harleys running rough, mine idles rough (like they all do) but off idle it is as smooth as silk. Most of my riding is above idle. Of course, you can get a Softtail and they have the balanced engine that idles smooth.

If Harley wanted to build a smooth running, water cooled bike, they certainly could but that's not what their market wants. They have been building bikes since 1903 and know what sells.

As far as the XR1200, I haven't ridden one but the local dealer has a salesman that loves to wheelie every bike he can and has no trouble getting the XR up. Google "XR1200 wheelie" and you'll find several videos.

As far as the XR1200, I haven't ridden one but the local dealer has a salesman that loves to wheelie every bike he can and has no trouble getting the XR up. Google "XR1200 wheelie" and you'll find several videos.

I bet if you googled "unicycle wheelie" you'd find something also. I've seen M109's wheelie, HD baggers wheelie, hell, even a Rebel 250 with an enormous rear sprocket. The Vmax with a stock diff and decent rear tire will haul the front end up no problem.

I rode an XR1200 at Americade at the HD demo area. Seriously, a total piece of shit. This was supposed to be the "hot" Harley, the Sportster that finally approached being "sporty". Still, I wasn't expecting much seeing as I'm used to a Vmax. Of course there's the horrendous massively shaky idle, which I was expecting. Off idle it cleared up as you said. But "hot"? Puh-leez. It couldn't break the rear tire loose without holding the brake, even snapping it WOT-closed-WOT in first. Not even a hint of burnout or front end lift. Held it at like 4000RPM and dumped the clutch in first....IT STALLED...which would result in a massive smokey burnout on a Vmax without the motor so much as hiccuping. Since the nice thing about HD demos is they let you take the bike and do with it as you please, I got on the interstate....it absolutely maxed out at 113mph, which was just shy of redline in fifth, and that was giving it like two miles to wind out. Anything much above 85 required Jeopardy music, fifth gear was totally gutless at any speed. I'd rate it's performance about on-par with my '85 V30(500cc) Magna, except not nearly as fun since the motor falls on its face at about 5500rpm, whereas the Magna screamed to 11,000. And if you think the Vmax handling sucks(which is does in stock form), then don't even think about taking corners on an XR. It wobbled and shook and pogo'ed off bumps like crazy. Couldn't believe they were trying to pass this off as a performance, hot bike. What a joke. A bone stock Vmax would eat this thing alive. Keep trying Harley, maybe one of these days you'll catch up to a 25 year old Japanese bike.

I've even seen a 1200 Goldwing wheelie, as in standing straight up and clicking through the gears fully balanced wheelie, almost every day when I was in tech school up in Ok. one of my clasmates....You can wheelie just about anything if you got skills, just got a have the balls to do a clutch dump at a low enough speed your chances of looping it are higer than a cat's back..

Guess I'll go ahead and get my two cents worth in here. Let us not forget that the HD is an American icon....an American Heritage thats famous around the world.....and was made in the USA for years and like most everything else, due to manufacturing costs, may have moved to other countrys.......still an icon. The reason I don't own one ( and wouldn't buy a new Vmax ) is because of the cost. Motorcycles are fun, but I just can't justify 15 or 20 grand for something that only 2 people can ride and cannot be comfortably/safely ridden year round ( I live in East TN ). OK, ready for my beatin'. :biglaugh:

I'm about to go out for my first Harley ride.....of the year anyway. Takin' the wifes Vrod for a ride.

If she had a VTX, I'd ride that too.

I would pretty much ride what ever has two wheels, I don't rip on other brands of bikes, because truthfully I don't give a shit what you ride!!

I love MY bike and will jump at the oppertunity to ride anybody elses bike no matter what it is.

The "Hardley" bashing is, as far as I can tell, all in good fun, and I read it all and laugh along with the rest of the croud.

My 2cents, whatever

...Blinker buttons were weird as hell...
Push the left button to indicate a left turn, push the right button to indicate a right turn - yeah, I can see how that could easily confuse some people.:ummm:

Push the left button to indicate a left turn, push the right button to indicate a right turn - yeah, I can see how that could easily confuse some people.:ummm:

I don't understand it either. Every other bike on the road has one switch to control both turn signals, Harleys have to have two. I guess they haven't got around to upgrading to three position switches yet.:confused2:

I don't understand it either. Every other bike on the road has one switch to control both turn signals, Harleys have to have two. I guess they haven't got around to upgrading to three position switches yet.:confused2:

I HATE the turn signal switch on my max. After I turn, I go to push the switch over to the middle (off) position and ALWAYS end up turning the blinker on in the opposite direction that I just turned.

IMO the HD ones are nice. Turn left, tap the left button. After you turn, tap it again. I find them easier to operate when your trying to hold on than the vmax ones.

Push you button "IN" to cancel. Not just slide it in the opposite direction.

Sean

I HATE the turn signal switch on my max. After I turn, I go to push the switch over to the middle (off) position and ALWAYS end up turning the blinker on in the opposite direction that I just turned.

IMO the HD ones are nice. Turn left, tap the left button. After you turn, tap it again. I find them easier to operate when your trying to hold on than the vmax ones.

That's the problem I think, you just push the vmax button in to cancel the turn signal, pushing it back the other way just turns the other signal on. It pissed me off at first until I realized you just push the button in to shut off the blinker.

Latest posts

Back