my first harley ride

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I guess I will have to try that :biglaugh:. I always move it back into the center position. Never tried to push it in.

haha noob mistake, when i first learned to ride i thought thats how you turn off the directional as well (since my yzf600r didn't have self cancelling), then someone explained it to me. ur gonna kick urself ina couple hours! haha

I think this sums it up:

" I don't hate real Harley Davidson (HD) riders. I hate the so called "REAL(tm)" HD riders who are nothing but a very large group of raisin brained panty wastes (yes, I know how to spell "pantywaist" but that is not the word that I am using so stop emailing me telling me that I misspelled it, ditto for "poseur") who think that a HD is the end all of motorcycles and who look down on other riders for choosing something different or having a different opinion. These are the people who will quote every tired old clich? from the HD line while prancing around in their full officially licensed and endorsed product gear yet won't be able to tell you where the oil goes in their bike or how much it holds. They are Americans(tm), and Individuals(tm), and they have the sales receipts to prove it. I look down on and ridicule the posers on the HD bikes, and apparently so do a lot of real HD owners. However, the real HD owners just aren't as vocal about it since apparently one HD owner bashing another HD owner is considered something of a cardinal sin and is punishable by banishment from the flock. I think this is pretty much a death sentence to most wannabe HD retards since they will have no one to interact with anymore or peacock and strut their brand new apparel and gear around to and import owners certainly aren't going to put up with their crap for long.
Since HD has started marketing to trend humping fashion lemmings (they had to in order to survive as a company since their technology base ran out sometime about the last part of the 1950's...), they've pissed in their own market pool and now they're having to drink it. It used to be where a Harley Davidson was a bike owned by an knowledgeable individual. You had to have a pretty thorough knowledge of motorcycle mechanics to own, work on, maintain, modify, and even just ride a Harley Davidson. There weren't a lot of dealerships, no parts lines, no customer service numbers to call in the middle of the night for a tow to a repair center. There were no Harley Davidson Boutiques, no Harley Davidson restaurants, none of the pop culture sugar topping that we see today. Your bike was like a horse was to the cowboys, you took care of it and if it broke down, chances were that the closest knowledgeable person who could fix it was you. Harleys were enthusiast bikes, owned by a very select few, the last of the true bikers.
Not any more.
Now all you need to own a Harley is a credit card or cash money in hand, no brains required, in fact, the fewer brain cells you have, the more Harley looks to you as a valued customer. The days of having to actually ride your Harley in order to be considered a biker are long gone, now all you have to do is own a Harley and you're considered a real biker. It's really a slap in the face to the original founders of Harley Davidson and for all of those who spent the first fifty years of HD's history building up the company only to have the last fifty years turn the company from a motorcycle manufacturer into a fashion empire. Harley Davidson died the great death, they became exactly what they once stood against. Harley Davidson was assimilated by the very type of culture abhorred. Where Harley Davidson used to be all about counter-culture, it has now become pop culture. The very types of people who used to look down on bikers on Harley Davidsons are now the very same people who are putting their names on waiting lists and standing in line to buy one of Milwaukee's products.
The days of Harley being a 'real' motorcycle company are long gone. The old, traditional Harley Davidson motorcycle company and all it stood for is dead, it died when Harley had to merge with AMF. It died when the British and Japanese imports came to America and instead of fighting them with better technology, Harley Davidson turned tail and ran into a long downward spiral into mediocrity and eventually a brain dead coma from which they have never come out of. Oh, there's signs of life all right, but it's a body with no soul. The contemporary Harley Davidson motorcycle company is more like Amway and is content to prostitute their sacred emblem on total shit ranging from flashlights to Barbie dolls, and they wonder why educated and informed people make fun of them. It is probably because smart people 'just don't understand'... and because the Motor Company has geared its marketing to the lowest common denominator in society.
Harley likes to sell its products under the "Ride to live, live to ride" motto. However, a more correct motto would be "Ride to pretend, pretend to ride.""

When the canned their V4 in the early '80's, they sealed their fate. It was the v-max before the v-max, even with functional scoops and a shaft drive. Instead, they canned it to focus on the evolution and became a posercycle.

http://www.bikerenews.com/AntiqueBikes/CodeNameNova.htm

If I ever get beat by a sportster I will sell my Vmax on Craig's list that same day. That will never happen. Unless the guy has 20,000 dollars into it. Then I will put 5,000 into mine and then beat his ass.
I like to look at harley's and usually see a lot of them on the side of the highway lmao. Just kidding ... I wave at all bikes on 2 wheels no trikes or mopeds though. For the most part they all wave back when they are alone. If you get them in a pack of harley's their attitudes multiply by 100 and usually don't wave back. lol but i love all bikes but don't think I will ever buy a Harley but you never know maybe when I am an old man...

I think this sums it up:

" I don't hate real Harley Davidson (HD) riders. I hate the so called "REAL(tm)" HD riders who are nothing but a very large group of raisin brained panty wastes ...blah, blah,blah....
I have yet to meet a Harley rider that couldn't figure out how to work his turn signal switches. :) Push ON, push OFF.

IMO it's the culture, not the bike it self.It was this dedicated Harley culture & a little government bail out that saved them.I don't want to see Harley fail.It would not be good for this country.Besides,there culture wouldn't be here to entertain us.:rofl_200: This NOVA concept is proof,Harley had the first Vmax type bike.:biglaugh:
78NovaHD.jpg

I have yet to meet a Harley rider that couldn't figure out how to work his turn signal switches. :) Push ON, push OFF.

Unless it's equipped with the 'intelligent' self cancelling feature, then you don't know if they're on or off...Push On, maybe it self cancels, maybe it doesn't. Push again and maybe you turn it off or maybe you turn it back on. Only way to tell is look down at your nuts to see if the indicator is still on. That can be fun while negotiating traffic, yeah?

Looking back, I'm pretty sure the shitty dealership is just a phenomenon that is here.

Push the left button to indicate a left turn, push the right button to indicate a right turn - yeah, I can see how that could easily confuse some people.:ummm:

I know it should be easy in practice, but I kept trying to slide the left button, since I had never ridden a bike that used anything but the rocker switch. So turning left was ok. Turning right, I activated the left blinker. Trying to cancel, I would either activate the left, or re-activate it, since they have a helpful cancel thing that isn't based on distance.

I also didn't have as much experience as I do now, so it was a bit overwhelming for me to go from the high and tight handlebars, mid-pegs, and brutal assault on the senses, to pullback bars a mile wide, forwards, and a soundtrack so quiet I could hear the tire roar.

If I ever get beat by a sportster I will sell my Vmax on Craig's list that same day. That will never happen. Unless the guy has 20,000 dollars into it. Then I will put 5,000 into mine and then beat his ass.
I like to look at harley's and usually see a lot of them on the side of the highway lmao. Just kidding ... I wave at all bikes on 2 wheels no trikes or mopeds though. For the most part they all wave back when they are alone. If you get them in a pack of harley's their attitudes multiply by 100 and usually don't wave back. lol but i love all bikes but don't think I will ever buy a Harley but you never know maybe when I am an old man...
If a stock sportster ever beats me I'm dumping mine in the canal!
Steve-o

Back