My Test Rides....

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpecOps13

Reaction score
Over the past week and a half, I've done 3 test rides. Here's my thoughts....

Suzuki VStrom 650: Great little bike, handles well even when you get the tires loose in a sandy turn. I had Mary on the back, holding on to the grab bars for her life. She refused to hold onto my jacket. Luckily, I felt the bike was underpowered. 2 up may not have been a fair test.. We did way too many miles as this was an open ended test ride. I liked the bike but with it's lack of power, Not really hot for it.... Top speed we achieved on the ride- 90 mph.

Yamaha VMax, Gen II: Holy Moly. It's like sitting on a Clydesdale Horse. Feels very well balanced. I felt the handling was great. Power was tremendous. This was a supervised ride but just me and the Yamaha Ride Master. Restrictions were: No Tire Smoking, No Wheelies, No, No, No. Within those restraints, I did hit 90 in a big hurry and almost overshot the lead bike. Oops... I'd own one of these if not for the price tag. Yamaha did give me a $200.00 Coupon....:rofl_200:

Yamaha FZ-8: This was a ride with multiple other riders and bikes. Cluster F..k... I almost stalled the bike as soon as I started letting out the clutch. Way tall gearing. We rode for about 5 miles and I avoided collisions with other riders about a dozen times... Once we got onto the open road, I had the opportunity to tweak about 1/2 throttle. Sweet...... When we made a U-Turn, we lost the back half of the pack. Yamaha had a bike following so he took over those riders. For me and the guy on an R-1, we slacked back with the same intention. I don't know what he ended up doing but I hit an indicated 101 mph pretty quick. Had to drop off so I didn't come screaming past the couple bikes still in front. This bike has an enormous wide tank so it feels like the scoops on the Max.. I sure wouldn't mind taking one of these on a ride around Tampa Bay.... I need way more input on this bike......

I wanted to ride the FZ-6 but figured I'd probably stretched my luck far enough with the guys running the show......

It's been a fun week and a half.......:clapping:But this FOG is worn out.... Oh, I did a lot of shooting in this time too.... About 20 hours worth in 3 sessions... My trigger finger hurts....:rofl_200: Watched millions of OP Rounds go bang too.

At Daytona this yr I sat on the FZ8 & it was the only bike I really felt comfortable on among the Yamaha streetbikes. Everything else had me on the tips of my toes & I am not quite 71". I did not bother doing any of the test rides as I figured it would not be any fun to be chaperoned. That stuff stopped 45 yrs ago.

Something I recently saw was a BMW R100RT, a '79, for <$2K & w/some desirable mods-twin plug heads, & suspension mods. I had a R100RT, an '83, I bought it w/7K mi on it & modded it like the VMaxes here, it was a lot of fun. I don't need another bike. It looked in good shape for the vintage, dunno the mi it has.

So Dave, are you gonna go try a 1000 cc VStrom?

I'm afraid I might like it,,,, too much... Too many V Engines around here.

Hey, guy on the RD 350 told me there's a guy on the East Coast of Florida who's got 3 Kawi 250 Triples for sale.....

Dave, just to stir the pot:
http://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/mcy/2642548227.html

2009 Suzuki V-Strom, DL 650, bike is in excellent condition, always garaged, never in a rain with 6500 miles. Looks and rides as new, no accidents, never down, not a single dent or scratch. I have added Givi side cases and mounting hardware. Adult ridden. Bike comes with a helmet (new visor) (XL) and an orange mesh riding jacket (M). If you are interested I can send more photos. Please call: 561-693-7206 .

http://images.craigslist.org/5T55W45P63k43m63ocbaadcec9de6069919b2.jpg

And another:
http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/mcy/2622619017.html
2005 ducati multistrada s 1000 ds

new tires new battery
italian seat ,oly suspention
open dry clouth
terminioni exaust
top case ducati performance

this bike have more than $6500 in accesoris and only for $5800 reduced price you can ride this

call me 305-951-7634

Of the two, I would get the Ducati, "but, that's 'just me.'"

Thanx Fire-medic, I'm really straining my brain looking at all the naked bikes. Right now the Yamaha FZ-8 has an edge but only comes in Black. The FZ-6R is in second by quite a ways but I have found one in Red Orange.... They say the FZ-6 doesn't compare to the FZ-8 in power so it's quite a Dilemma for me.... :bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head: Suzuki's not far from the bottom of my lsit...

I know I can cut the prices some with a straight up cash deal but I'm bouncing off the walls between the 2. I could always have Kyle paint the FZ-8 and I already have a good red on hand....

It would be so easy if the Gen II were $15,000 new... But, It's Not....

I'm giving it a rest and going to work on my Mega Scoops for one of the Max's...:clapping:

If you want to split the difference between the FZ8 and a gen 2 maybe look at a Kawi Z1000......135hp at the tire(yeah...they're fast), sweet handling, and if you look around a bit you can find them in the $9k range easily, even seen a couple in the $8's for leftovers.

Thanx for the thoughts guys, Heard the Z1000 had a serious recall this year...? Someone told me they had 215 hp at the
engine, that's gotta be BS if there's only 135 at the tire. I'll check out the GSR but I was really impressed with the ZX-8...

They probably meant the new "big bang" ZX-10 engine, which I heard was in the 200+ range at the crank. That's an entirely different plant than the Z/Ninja 1000 motor. The ZX one is a 998 or something, the Z/Ninja is a 1043 and tuned for "everyday" use rather than a track.

I sure wouldn't mind finding one like the new member here got. A 2010, under 1,000 miles for a loan pay off of $12,500...:clapping:

Back