Need a premium bike cover. Recommendations?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BW-Vmax

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm a new VMax owner and new to the forum so I'm hoping I can get some suggestions on getting a cover for my bike.

The bike is stored outside (1 car garage and the Supra has seniority) and I'd like to get a fitted, high quality cover that will offer as much protection as possible.

I found a great one from Yamaha with the logos and VMax name emblazoned on the sides but it is only available for the 2008- present models. Any suggestions?

You might upgrade to this:
Steel building 2.jpg

Please let me know if you can get a group buy deal going. I might like one as well.

Haha I've looked into it. They're on "backorder" until I can double my salary.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cycle Gear has a good premium fitted cover which will entrely-protect your bike, and it's vented. It goes on sale several times a year for much less than its regular price.

If you have never been to one of their stores, it's worth the trip, tires, helmets, leathers, tools, boots, and more.

Cycle Gear has a good premium fitted cover which will entrely-protect your bike, and it's vented. It goes on sale several times a year for much less than its regular price.

If you have never been to one of their stores, it's worth the trip, tires, helmets, leathers, tools, boots, and more.

Thanks for the insight. I'm coming from the sport bike world so I'm not yet attuned to where I can find good products for the VMax. I appreciate any guidance I can get. I'm definitely in the market for upgrades but I'm having difficulties seeing what's a true option for my bike and what's a gimmicky add-on. I mean, the V-Max is a pretty small community.

Thanks for the insight. I'm coming from the sport bike world so I'm not yet attuned to where I can find good products for the VMax. I appreciate any guidance I can get. I'm definitely in the market for upgrades but I'm having difficulties seeing what's a true option for my bike and what's a gimmicky add-on. I mean, the V-Max is a pretty small community.

Well the Vmax is kind of an "odd" small community. You really dont see many of them, but the Gen 1 was produced from 1985-2007 with only minor upgrades. It was a VERY POPULAR bike.

There are 11000 members on this forum.

Please dont hesitate to ask any question though. If you want to keep your bike stock, to have a notched and braced swing arm with a 6 inch stretch and a 1570 with nitrous, somebody on this forum has done it.

Best thing you can do is read EVERYTHING you can here, lol. Seriously though, damn near everything you can do toa vmax can be found here asked in multiple ways. Youll find nothing but quality info and help. As a friendly tip, Sean Morley has or can get whatever the mod monkey demands and provide you with top notch service and a willingness to work a deal to make your dreams for your bike come true. Ask questions, watch the for sale section and save [email protected] to your address book.

I no it's cold out now, and not sure if you have room around the house for this. But I made a little garage at the townhouse for the winter. Sometimes when it's warmer out I will go out and work on the bike. The pictures or when just about finish it. It's now painted and heat trips install up in the top on the inside and clear plex-glass side. Just me mind you if the bike is being out side over the winter i spry wd40 on my bikes for years. Some people my not like doing it though. Never had a problem with rust build up. And the vent tubes on top of the carbs all 4 a spry a little wd40 through tubes mix the gas in the carbs - helps keep them from gumming up the carbs and float from sticking to - now this just me doing this it works for me. My cars that sit with double pumper carbs i do the same to.

I had some pics of the vmax little garage completely finish with sides on but for got the file name on the computer.

"O" a little in my vmax gas tank around the filler neck.

Sometimes I will keep the bike at the farm house and work on it there to.

Attachments

• Picture 112.jpg
    Picture 112.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 21
  • Picture 113.jpg
    Picture 113.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 20
  • vmax update side covers 120.jpg
    vmax update side covers 120.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 20
Thanks everyone for the info and the suggestions.@adambweird, I definitely agree with the wealth of knowledge in this forum. I'm also a member of SupraForums for my car but interacting on there is risky. They also have a ton of professional knowledge and experience but there are so many elitist a-holes on the threads so I just read the threads but never participate. I haven't gotten that feeling here. Everyone's been pretty cool and respectful. I'll definitely keep Sean Morley in mind as I already have his site bookmarked.
@jagco1 that's a great setup you've got! I'm still renting a 3/2 in Florida so I'm not in a position to take on a project like that until I buy a house again. Hopefully I'll be able to buy a place with enough garage space to not have to build one but appreciate the help.
@vmax1968, that's my exact situation. I'm renting in Melbourne, FL and need something to protect it until I can get it stored inside permanently. Pretty surprised that Yamaha doesn't have a cover specifically for the Gen 1 like they do the Gen 2. I'll probably go with your Dowco suggestion. Do you remember if the cover was heat shielded on both sides for the exhaust? Thanks again!

Yes, it is shielded on both sides. However, I never covered the bike till it was cool down (just my preference)

I have a dowco that has been used only once. I bought it for the weather in los angeles
and move to palm springs less than a week later- now have a 3 car garage so i don't need it. It is in perfect shape and i believe it is the same as the one on the dowco page
that is listed starting at $81.99. It is a large all weather with the complete heat shield surrounding the bottom that covers the pipes and radiator. Pic sent. I will take $55 plus what it cost to ship to fl.
It is covering the bike on the video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ_dzj_xRe4

jpg.gif SANY3795[1].jpg (44.4 KB)

Attachments

• SANY3795[1].jpg
    SANY3795[1].jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 13
Just wanted to add that it is the one showing on dowco page as $81.99 but it is $87.99 for the large with $13.99 shipping.
I personally would not buy a motorcycle cover telling what it is underneath as i did that with a gsxr and it will get a lot of attention if you know what i mean.:bang head:

Just wanted to add that it is the one showing on dowco page as $81.99 but it is $87.99 for the large with $13.99 shipping.
I personally would not buy a motorcycle cover telling what it is underneath as i did that with a gsxr and it will get a lot of attention if you know what i mean.:bang head:

GSXR branded cover says gift wrapped already, just toss in back of truck and go!

I have a Dowco that works well for my 85. I only use it once or twice a year when on annual motorcycle trip.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

Dowco MC cover large.JPG
I picked up this one from my Motorcycle Mall in NJ.. It fits perfectly with my larger extended mirrors. I used the Large size.. XL is too big.
They have them on Amazon for $30.00 cheaper than what I paid.
I found that you cannot trust Amazon's sizing scheme on their website to be 100% accurate because it says it would not fit my 91.. Well its on the bike right now fitting perfectly, and I have longer mirror stems than stock.

http://www.amazon.com/Dowco-50003-0...888&sr=1-1&keywords=dowco+guardian+weatherall

Thanks for the offer blaxmax, but I ended up going with the Weatherall Plus for the added durability since it's going to be living outside 24/7 for the foreseeable future. As far as the motorcycle cover telling what's underneath, I had a GSXR cover on my 2006 GSX-R 600 for all 5 years I had it (sold that bike to buy the 2007 Vmax) and never had a problem with theft. Neighborhood cats peeing on it, yes. But no real threats.

Back