Need some best guess directions...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hypocycloid3

Reaction score
My 94 Vmax Stalled today leaving a stoplight. Felt similar to running out of gas. On a full tank directly following that, it cranks but wont start.

Been running a little off lately too. Idle circuit seemed kinda sputtery... just enough to notice so I was going to shotgun and synch the carbs as soon as I could make the time but this happened first.

Haven't done anything yet. Just wanted some second and third opinions on where to start.

Thx!

Doing the shotgun is a great idea. Running a little Seafoam (coupla onces per tank) for a tank or two can help too.
Before you do that though, make sure you're getting a good spark, as if you're not you'll need to get that sorted first. There's a little relay that controls the sidestand/neutral/clutch lever switches that can sometime fail. Also the kill switch and the ignition switch sometime get corroded and can wreck havoc on starting.

But, check for spark first as that's easy, and if good do the shotgun.

May not be carb related.

Check voltage, voltage, voltage.

Mine did that same shiite. Battery seemed fine - but wouldn't crank forever to restart, but voltages checked out at battery. Stalled from idle, or while sitting at a light idling. Would not restart for shiite. Would come out of it after accelerating up around 2K rpms. Found out that while suffering these symptoms, the spark was bouncing off plug wires and onto places it didn't belong. New wires. New plugs. Charged battery. New battery. Same f'ing symptoms. Only did this while warmed up and outside temps in the 80's or above & the fan kicked on.
Cleaning R/R connections, improving idling voltages, and the large battery box mod = NO MORE stalling out at idle, and no more errant spark.

Worth a look see.

Also, with the mention in another thread about the carb boots to airbox. It would be a simple check to ensure that the box is still fully bolted in place (all the way down on the carbs).

Sean

Back