Need some ideas

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had some time to mess with the bike, and now I think it is carb, not electrical related. I installed 177.5 jets in the PAJ2 just because I had them in the muscle kit. It made it some better, not great but the bike is ridable. It still falls flat around 6K if you twist it. If you gradually climb up the revs, it goes pretty good. I tried covering the K&N partly with a towel while revving it up, and when around 6K it was falling all over itself, I covered about 3/4 of the filter surface, and it would shoot up to redline. That tells me it is carb and not electrical, doesn't it? Adamax, when I can afford it, I think I will try stage 7 needles. Currently I have 160 mains installed. Maybe some day I will get there and this will run right. I have more hope today than yesterday anyhow.

my muscle kit wouldn't run right without stage 7 needles. i also ran vboost always on. stock mains.

+1 gamorg02. Stage 7 needles were not very expensive. I bought them from Sean Morley so I suggest contacting him for exact price. I feel they will make a huge difference, I read "me" in your posts struggling with the bike tuning few months back :)
Good luck...

yea even with vboost stock my bike didn't like the cruise without a stage 7 needle. stage 1 maybe would have worked too but with vboost always on it was closer to a stage 7 setup.

I wanted to revive my old thread with an update. I got the stage 7 needles from Sean, and that helped tremendously. The bike now pulls strongly to redline and pulls the front wheel up in first and second gear, it never did that before. I have 155 mains in and 177.5 PAJ2. I am not completely there yet though. At cruising speed where I am not giving it much throttle, it still runs unevenly. It runs so good under throttle though. Any suggestions as to what I should change? Maybe go down to stock on the mains? I have messed with the a/f screws without success. Any ideas?

When you say uneven, can you describe it a little better?
if it seems rough, like the bike is stuttering and wants to go but can't till you get up to 4K rpm or above you may just need to adjust the needle. I had a similar problem to what I described and it cleared right up by raising the needle/lowering the clip one notch. I am also running a Morley kit with 155 mains and stg 7 needles.

I had a 2000 vmax that started going to shit above 5000 rpm amd i replaced the vacuum advance and that cured my problems. Checking this might be worth a try.

Latest posts

Back