Need some suggestions please..

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rebar

Reaction score
I just received my strapless trailer restraint system and it fits both my bikes nicely. Super sturdy and great design when bolted to the trailer frame. Only problem I'm seeing is how close it's to my exhaust..:damn angry: If I remove the black T handle, its still about 1" away

How much will my rear suspension compress while trailering? Will it hit even with out tiedowns?

Any suggestions on how to limit the travel?

Attachments

• vmaxpitbull.jpg
    vmaxpitbull.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 52
You're screwed. The only way is to put struts in place of the shocks. I want to say the OEM have 2.5" minimum or more travel.

Sean

You're screwed. The only way is to put struts in place of the shocks. I want to say the OEM have 2.5" minimum or more travel.

Sean

Iv never compressed the rear 2.5" even at speed. Im going to bet, since I removed the T handle. That I should be fine. Close but not to close. Looks like about 1 1/2" of travel before it hits
The front end is hung from the rafters and I jumped while my daughter watched. Barely moved. How much could it compress without anyone on it with a top speed of 70?

BTW.. Ill send your axle out soon.

Attachments

• vmaxpitbull 001.jpg
    vmaxpitbull 001.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 28
  • vmaxpitbull 002.jpg
    vmaxpitbull 002.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 25
Man, i'm not sure so myself that it won't hit. If the preload is set to a high amount that may be why it's not traveling all that much.

No problem on the axles.

Sean

Man, i'm not sure so myself that it won't hit. If the preload is set to a high amount that may be why it's not traveling all that much.

No problem on the axles.

Sean

I hear ya.. I could take the custom instead, since the kerker clears the pitbull easy. But its never been wrecked. :biglaugh: The stock bike's exhaust has a nasty dent from my drunk friend anyway. And I planned on letting my son ride it on the gunflint trail.

There's got to be a easier way to limit the travel.. Just haven't though of it yet.

Maxing out the preload adjustment seems to be the easiest thing to do.

Maybe also wrap the tops of the bar with an old inner tube? So if it does contact it's not likely to leave scratches?

I suppose you could get a 4x4 block or wood or something and cut it just so that when you lift up on the back of the bike, you can slip it in between the tire and the rear grab bar. Get it to rest on the two bolts connecting the fender to the subframe, so when you release pulling up on the back the weight pinches it in there......would keep the suspension from compressing at all.

Maxing out the preload adjustment seems to be the easiest thing to do.

Maybe also wrap the tops of the bar with an old inner tube? So if it does contact it's not likely to leave scratches?

I suppose you could get a 4x4 block or wood or something and cut it just so that when you lift up on the back of the bike, you can slip it in between the tire and the rear grab bar. Get it to rest on the two bolts connecting the fender to the subframe, so when you release pulling up on the back the weight pinches it in there......would keep the suspension from compressing at all.

I'm afraid the pitbull would leave more than scratches if it hit. I like the 4x4 idea.. But when I briefly looked at that, it looked like it would be difficult to hit frame, and not only the fender. Airbag?

I figured I could wedge something between each spring coil.. Like rope or something.. :confused2:

I'm not giving up on this. Nor am I screwed just yet.

With the front wheel secured you could use a scisser jack under the bike just in front of the rear wheel, maybe under the centerstand.

With the front wheel secured you could use a scisser jack under the bike just in front of the rear wheel, maybe under the centerstand.

Thanks, But front wheel isn't secured. Owner of pitbull assures me its not needed.

Just a thought, but you could try cutting a 2x4 or 4x4 to the necessary lengthg to sit on top of the tire to keep the shocks from compressing ?

Just a thought, but you could try cutting a 2x4 or 4x4 to the necessary lengthg to sit on top of the tire to keep the shocks from compressing ?

Thanks guys but I got it figured out using some hard rubber.. Not pretty by any means, but it stiffened up the rear dramatically by locking up about half of the coil spring. I bounced around on it and it compresses 1/2" then stops.

Next project.. Beef up my trailer joists and weld in 4 coupling nuts to mount the pitbull.

Attachments

• vmaxpitbull 004.jpg
    vmaxpitbull 004.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 9
Back