New 1986 yamaha grips install questions w/pics

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rebar

Reaction score
Iv had these grips for quite some time.. left side 20mm, right 23mm.

Will they work?

What kind of glue sets the quickest? Locktite gel superglue?

How about removing them?

Never done this if you cant tell:ummm:

Thanks

Attachments

• vmaxgrips 001.jpg
    vmaxgrips 001.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 45
well the bars are 7/8" so the left i would expect closer to 22mm?

i could be wrong tho

i use hairspray or soapy water usually so i don't have to cut them off.

Those are not OEM grips that came on the bike. They may have been an accessory offered by the dealer though. Usually a dab of superglue is what some people use but if they aren't snug enough to stay on their own you can use hairspray like Garrett mentioned.

Sean

well the bars are 7/8" so the left i would expect closer to 22mm?

i could be wrong tho

i use hairspray or soapy water usually so i don't have to cut them off.

They are harder rubber sleeves with foam over and chrome caps.

The left is less than 21mm (yes 7/8" handle bars are 22mm) so it will be a tight fit and Im guessing tap it on with a rubber hammer with hairspray?:confused2: Does the hairspray lubricate sliding it on? The rubber is old but never installed or left in the sun.

The right has the throttle sleeve and Im guessing its way over the 23mm . Stealership told me they would fit.

Those are not OEM grips that came on the bike. They may have been an accessory offered by the dealer though
Sean

They were for another model ... the salesman talked me into them. I was only a teen.

Yes, the hairspray will lubricate it a bit until the alcohol evaporates. You shouldn't need to hit it, just grab a hold of the bike and put some ass into it. It really shouldn't take a whole lot of pressure to slide them on.

Looks like the throttle side wont fit. The stock sleeve is like 25mm.

WHATS THE CATS MEOW FOR GRIPS LATELY?

I gotta stop buyin bottles...

I sell both Kuryakyn and a new grip we just started carrying from Driven Racing. I do sell other grips but not anywhere nearly as nice. Go to both of their websites to see pics.

Sean

Looks like the throttle side wont fit. The stock sleeve is like 25mm.

WHATS THE CATS MEOW FOR GRIPS LATELY?

I gotta stop buyin bottles...

I bought these from Sean

http://www.kuryakyn.com/index.cfm/go/Home.ProductDetail/IMID/1585

I got the throttle boss also for both sides. Sean said he would ship them this past Monday and I got them this past Monday..............pretty good and fast shipping if you ask me.............lol He obviously was able to ship them sooner than he expected but my point is you get it quick and he is always here to help you if needed so I would buy them from him.

I haven't put them on yet but they look very cool, I read about them before buying them, Sean didn't talk me into them he just happen to sell the ones I decided on.

Ron

Sean said he would ship them this past Monday and I got them this past Monday..............pretty good and fast shipping if you ask me.............lol He obviously was able to ship them sooner than he expected

I'm thinking Sean actually has this molecular transporter thing in his shop. He told me when he shipped my pipes and they showed up the following day.
So it's eather some Star Trek shit going on there or he's figured out how to harness the power of the Kansas tornado.

I'm thinking Sean actually has this molecular transporter thing in his shop. He told me when he shipped my pipes and they showed up the following day.
So it's eather some Star Trek shit going on there or he's figured out how to harness the power of the Kansas tornado.

Yeah he has something going on there but whatever it is I like it. It's refreshing to get stuff you order quick and cheaper than you can buy it retail. You can't say enough about the help he gives you too.

There are many on here who have helped me a lot so I try to keep my money in the circle of people in this forum...

Ron

Sometimes everything works out fine. BUT, i'm not always that fast but I do try and tell you up front when that's going to be an issue.
Sean

One quick tip about installing the ISO grips. Because the rubber inside the grip is actually 2 separate pieces you really don't want to use hairspray as your bonding agent. If you get any water in there (i.e. you and the bike get rained on), the hairspray can get wet and slippery again.

I used hockey tape on the bar and built it up so it requires quite a bit of pushing and turning to get it to slide on. Sprayed it down with electrical conctact cleaner (CRC CO Contact cleaner). The glue on the tape gets pretty slippery and the grips slide on with a little effort. Let the bike sit at least overnight to allow the contact cleaner to evaporate (sitting in the sun for a couple of hours also works). Now the grips are tight AND waterproof. If I need to remove them, another shot of contact cleaner under the rubber with one of those little red spray tubes and they should slide right off.

For a one piece grip the hairspray works great, I have used it on my mountain bikes for ages (plain old Aquanet works best), and you can really wrench on them and they don't budge.

:oops: Yea... I feel like a reel turd buying a set of bars from Python and not Sean... This forum has been a life-changing experience when it comes to owning a Vmax. Hands down, both of mine would be collecting dust or having fallen molested in some stealership or worse, one of them " I can fix anything" hack shops. I have learned ALOT just reading new posts EVERY morning over my bowl of mini-wheats. Faithfully... I too will support "The Man". Sean. Feel bad dude:confused2:

Not a problem. Tom is a good guy too a cycle one off and I haven't ever had any big issues with the guys at Python so it's all good. I'm sure i'll be able to help you out eventually.

Sean

you really don't want to use hairspray as your bonding agent. If you get any water in there (i.e. you and the bike get rained on), the hairspray can get wet and slippery again.

Is that why one rainy day I was left standing with a grip in my hand and my H2-750 on the ground?:biglaugh:

What I still dont understand is how the throttle side grip hole at 23mm could ever fit over any throttle sleeve at 25mm. I mean,, these grips have allot of meat and stretching the hard rubber that far just seams to much for any throttle sleeve unless it was steel.

Hell what do I know.. One piece grips.. two piece grips...:ummm::confused2:

Sucks getting screwed.

I have yet to order anything from Sean but I do run his carbs. Nice...

oh... you guy's have helped me more than I can say ! See iffin' ya can help me out locating a leather or pleather tank bra or bib as one would call it. I've seen them on the Vmax in several picture forums, most looking the same, leading me to believe they weren't custom made... Somebody's gotta know something here. Man, they know everything else !!! Seriously ... I not kid.............

Directions..

Remove old grips from bike

Dispose of Used motorcycle(by donating parts in my thread)

Buy new max that ha no grips

Install new grips.

Eat Pie...

You can thank me later.

Latest posts

Back