New here

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine are the ones off of ebay. I will definitely have to pick up another set of grips and cut up the stock grips to fill in the gap between the bar ends and the end of the stock grips.

I just removed my left grip, then reinstalled it flush with the end of the handlebar. Then I slid the switch assembly over against the grip. On the throttle side, the tube was longer than the grip and was exposed once the bar end was removed. I just cut the thottle tube flush with the grip. No need to cut up a donor grip if you go this route.

I just removed my left grip, then reinstalled it flush with the end of the handlebar. Then I slid the switch assembly over against the grip. On the throttle side, the tube was longer than the grip and was exposed once the bar end was removed. I just cut the thottle tube flush with the grip. No need to cut up a donor grip if you go this route.

Thanks for the input. I might do that. Don't have much time right now but over Christmas I will probably give your method a shot. :thumbs up: Any tips on how to cut the tube nice and flush/clean?

Thanks for the input. I might do that. Don't have much time right now but over Christmas I will probably give your method a shot. :thumbs up: Any tips on how to cut the tube nice and flush/clean?

if you don't have a miter box, try a piece of PVC large enough to accept the end of the grip & use that to guide a cut w/a new single-edge razor blade.

I used a dremel with a cutting wheel. I cut it just a hair longer than needed and then lightly ground it down flush with the grip. I used the cutting disc to grind. Worked great. Just have a little patience, you don't want to dig into the grip.

Can someone please send me the link on how to take off the stock seat? I tried the search function but couldn't find anything. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Damn :bang head::bang head:, I was hoping you were getting readt to replace it with a Comfortable one :biglaugh:.Oh well........What kinda battery you going with?

Damn :bang head::bang head:, I was hoping you were getting readt to replace it with a Comfortable one :biglaugh:.Oh well........What kinda battery you going with?

Haven't really looked too much into new batteries yet. I'm probably going to call around the local shops to see if they have a battery that fits. I will probably go for the lightest one possible too. What would you recommend?

As for the seat, the bike only has 4000 miles on it and I find it fits my body very nicely. Then again I have never sat on an aftermarket one. Right now I'm saving up for some wheels from Sean.

SPX38, regarding batteries, forget going to the dealers. They'll just srew ya. Order an Odyssey PC680. It's a gel-battery that can be shipped to you in the mail. Had one in my 06 Vmax and it worked great.

And if you don't want to spring far an odyssey )best battery ever) still stay away from the dealer. Most auto parts places can get the standard lead acid battery for about $40 bucks

Haven't really looked too much into new batteries yet. I'm probably going to call around the local shops to see if they have a battery that fits. I will probably go for the lightest one possible too. What would you recommend?

As for the seat, the bike only has 4000 miles on it and I find it fits my body very nicely. Then again I have never sat on an aftermarket one. Right now I'm saving up for some wheels from Sean.
The lightest battery is a Ballistic or a Shorai. I sell them both there around $ 170 bucks the Ballistic weighs 2.5 lbs

That takes care of the battery issue. if you ever want to try a MAXGASSER,let me know!

I have 2 Ballistics in 2 different bikes, installed both this past year. I like them for the power and the CCA in-excess of the stocker, almost twice the stock CCA! Plus, a smaller frame for the battery and 2.5 lbs!

I have an older Corbin which I like but lots of guys on-here either spring-for the Morley's Muscle modded stock seat or the Maxgasser. Any way you choose, if the choice is wheels and a seat, by the time you buy tires too, you just burnt >$3K! That's probably a fair-market value for my VMax, so I am going to be happy w/my used Kosman 17" rear wheel & a pair of Bridgestones I bought on-sale w/one to fit the stock front wheel, & a used Corbin. I still probably spent ~$850 doing it the 'cheap-shot' fashion.

Attachments

• Li-ion battery weight.jpg
    Li-ion battery weight.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 10
  • lead-acid battery weight.jpg
    lead-acid battery weight.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 9
  • Li-ion battery box.jpg
    Li-ion battery box.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 9
On the subject of batteries, get a sealed one regardless of type. Maintaining the water level on a normal battery is way too much trouble on a V-Max. You have to remove the battery to check the water level properly and that is a giant pain. (Remove seat, brackets, etc just to get to the battery). A sealed battery, all you have to do is add the charger connectors once and you are good to go. I have an Odyssey battery and have had it for years with no problems. Doesn't even need charging very often. Holds a charge better than any battery I have ever had.

I ended up buying a ballistic batter, one dunlop for the rear and front and rear mitzlers for middle of next summer. My front tire has tons of tread left on it right now so I will use the dunlop tires and then switch over to two Metzlers later.

Thanks for the help guys!

Latest posts

Back