new max owner

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shorthair88

Reaction score
:eusa_dance:Hi all,
Life long goal of owning a 85 max achieved, Fantastic condition w/ 10k on it, well 12+ k on it now, I need new tires and want to go w/ 170 on back, preferably w/ out washer relocation mod, ( need ideas ) what effects does this have? i noticed tire height changes w/ 170 tires? any changes there? I already soldered famous crimp and incresed voltage by 9/10ths of a volt. talk to me.

Shorthair.......

I just put a 170/80 15 on my '86 no mod needed it fits just fine didn't even move washer.

The height is pretty much the same maybe a tiny bit taller. That's because it's a lower profile (80 vs 90 for OEM) but a bigger tire so it balances out.

For the best deal check out bikebandit.com - I got a pair of Shinko Tourmaster 230 tires delivered to my door for less than $150 (both!). I believe they also have the best prices on Metzeler ME880 which is another (more expensive) popular choice.

First off, welcome to the forum and the world of the VMax owner!!! Now to your tire questions. There is a very strong chance that you will have to do the washer swap to go to the 170. You can try to loosen the pumpkin and move it slightly to the left to get clearance. Moving the washer doesn't affect the handling or reliability and lots of people do it. The biggest effect will be a rounder tire profile which you will definately notice. Mr Max likes a round profile tire for sure, as a matter of fact people will start to have handling issues as the tire "squares off" when it wears. If you go to an ME880 you will have a slightly smaller contact patch with the 170 vs 150 due to the fact that the 170 has to be coaxed into fitting a narrower wheel than it is designed for. Again lots of folks run this with no problems. Whatever your choice I hope you have lots of fun riding your Max and keep the rubber side down...... oh yeah and run from the mod monkey, he gets expensive LOL.

The last two 85's we had in the shop did not need the washer swapped with the 170/80 metzler (widest of the bunch). it is still possible you will need it.

Sean

I put a 170 on my '86 with no swap or any other modification. I did have to put it up on the centerstand and unbolt my shocks (11.5 Progressives) to drop the swingarm down far enough to sneak the sucker in place, but once bolted up, it has been rub free...

Back