New member with bad wristpins

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glenn aycock

Reaction score
Hello all

New member to tho board here and want to start off by saying thanks for having me here. I have ridden bikes a lot when I was younger, and always wanted a Vmax. Recently I came across a fairly clean 2001 model max with only 8,000 miles on the odometer. The bike was put in a barn 6yrs ago with fuel left in the carbs. The owner told me he had parked it due to an engine knock that his mechanic diagnosed as a bad bearing. The bike was priced right, so I brought it home.
Long story short, I cleaned out the carbs and got her running. (Thanks for all who post in the carb sections!!)
The engine has only slight noise at above idle speeds, but on the road there was definite lower end knock when given throttle, worst in high gear 40mph rollon when accelerating.
I tore the engine down and the rear cylinder wrist pins are loose in the rods. There was some fine copper colored deposits in the corners of the oil pan, but really did not look like bearing material. Rod bearings, pistins, rings cyl walls and crank endplay all look great, just two very sloppy wrist pins.
My question is, what is the recommended fix for this problem? New rods or can these rods be bushed for repair? While I am in there, would 12/1 pistons be a worthwhile upgrade? I read a post where member one2dmax mentions reconditioned rods.
I do not have a lot invested in this bike yet, and do plan to add a Kerker 4-1 pipe and jet kit.
Your help and opinions on the matter are appreciated.

Sean Morley can recondition your rods.
Ordered one set from him someday an owner have no problems till today.
They working fine.

Aftermarket rods are always a good modification but if you do not plan to get extra power from engine its not worth of it. Same with pistons.

You can upgrade the pistons, bore the engine, bigger cams, port the heads, and do a number of things. We do sell Carrillo rods as well as recondition/upgrade the stock rods ($240 exchange).

It really all depends on your budget. I've even got a 1500 engine we can sell you if you really want to up the power. We do a lot of 1300 conversions and that is a nice enhancement that still gives good reliability. Overdrive transmissions, HD oiling, ARP head studs, ect.....

Sean

Im thinking getteing her back running with a basically stock engine. The pistons need replacing to get new wrist pins I think, so higher comp slugs may be an option if head gasket reliability and future wrist pin failure is not increased with more compression. I always wanted a Vmax even when I rode sport bikes years ago. This is the carbon fiber bike which I was always fond of and now that I am older (38), I am past the corner carving and insane top speed riding. A stock bike with good looks, sound, and decent power is all I am looking for.
You guys can even quote me on this, even after I get her running and start on the mods...

Im thinking getteing her back running with a basically stock engine. The pistons need replacing to get new wrist pins I think, so higher comp slugs may be an option if head gasket reliability and future wrist pin failure is not increased with more compression. I always wanted a Vmax even when I rode sport bikes years ago. This is the carbon fiber bike which I was always fond of and now that I am older (38), I am past the corner carving and insane top speed riding. A stock bike with good looks, sound, and decent power is all I am looking for.
You guys can even quote me on this, even after I get her running and start on the mods...
Duly noted on the quote part Glenn, but we are a forgiving bunch in regards to modding as we know how hard that dang mod monkey can bite! :biglaugh:

Attachments

2.5 KB · Views: 65
Back