New quarter mile times....

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rusty McNeil

Reaction score
After losing 32 lbs and putting in a new clutch with double D I finally went to the strip. I got in 7 passes in all

Running 16lbs in the rear on an Avon 180/55-18 Radial and the front end strapped down....47lbs in the front tire...

With full gear, Full leathers, helmet, gloves and boots I weigh 232 now,

The bike was showing 585 on the scales last night...

Bad news, my launches still suck, best 60' time was .178, worst was .189..I'm gonna wear this thing out before I cut a decent 60' time.....I need a coach...or a wheelie bar, this "loft" method of launching sucks, to much bog, I just want to dump it and go.....

But I was launching hard enough and getting enough traction to spin the wheel in the tire a total of about 1/4 turn, I could tell because I used a ball paint marker on the wheel/tire since I haven't run the pressure down this far before and was curious if that was going to happen, which it did...

Good news, all my passes were between 11.28 and 11.37

My traps were all between 118-121, which was the first time I broke 120 in the 1/4, my 1/8 mile traps were all just shy of 100mph, being 99.xx every time, 1/8 et's were in the 7.30's

I also reprogrammed one of my two shift lights to use the yellow one as a luanch light in order to hold 6500 RPM's consistently on the line without looking down at the tach since it was pointed out to me by Sean Morely that my rational behind a two stage shift light was flawed, which it was....

Thanks especially to Lankeyyankee for the advice on shifting a while back, I tried it and it works a hell of a lot better than using the clutch.

His advice was to not touch the clutch after launching and simply load the shift lever and slightly blip the throttle....it worked much better for me than trying to fan the clutch lever...it was good advice and well appreciated, I was hesitant since I thought it would be more abusive but it feels like driveline shock is a hell of a lot less since the engine RPM's are not "getting away" during shifting like it did with using the clutch when I broke my driveshaft..........on one run I didn't blip the throttle quite enough and didn't get it to shift into 3rd on the first attempt and still pulled off the 11.37.....nice thing about a missed shift with this method is it doesn't over rev, it just makes you look dumb, but I leave my pride at home when I go to the strip....

On another note, there was a ZX14 out there last night, with no nitrous, stock swingarm and no forced induction. I don't know if it was internally stock or not but it was running consistent 8.80's with a guy that was probably 160 in full gear.

There was also a Turbo Hyabusa with stock swingarm running 7.95-8.05's
Rusty

How much a difference did the 30lbs make? All in all sounds like some decent times and not bad 60' times at all. Roy

How much a difference did the 30lbs make? All in all sounds like some decent times and not bad 60' times at all. Roy

I don't know exactly what to attribute the improvement to, since several things changed along with the weight.

It was the first time I've run the tire pressure down that low,
The first time I shifted like Yankey suggested,.
I've run it strapped once before but on that occasion the clutch was going soft on me in a hurry, so I would consider this time to be my first legitmate runs with the front end strapped.

It was also the first runs with the Double D mod in place as well.....

In all tho the runs were generally .10-.15 better than what I used to get, and the traps were about 1-3 miles better....and I would guess the weight loss and shifting method were mostly responsible.....

I have found that around 18lbs is about a tenth in the VMAX ET's

60ft is everything with that wide of a tire and strapped you should see 1.50's no problem if the track is prepped

I am on a 170-80-15 60ft out of the hole around 1.55's

I have found that around 18lbs is about a tenth in the VMAX ET's

60ft is everything with that wide of a tire and strapped you should see 1.50's no problem if the track is prepped

I am on a 170-80-15 60ft out of the hole around 1.55's

Our track is extremely well prepped judged by the times some of the other cars and bikes are pulling, we see an occasional 6 or 7 by some of the test and tune crowd....

I need some seroius coaching I guess, as you described in another post I think I'm releasing the clutch way to fast, even tho I'm holding at 6500 I'm still letting the clutch out quick enough to bog and then GO........for sure the RPM's are dropping well below 6500 after clutch release...

I've had the front wheel in the air before so many times that I think I'm going for a full release and the bog to avoid the wheel lift...Maybe it just boils down to a whole lot of practice..as well as the fact that I don't really have any "peers" to learn from.....

Nice work Rusty, I think we are in about the same situation.... "Working on those launches"
I have found that slipping the Double D clutch is very hard, but can be done. I bog almost every time! I think for me it is all mental... I must think that revving the engine and dumping the clutch will allow me to get into the throttle sooner... basically I think I'm pussing out....unknowingly. I may have a wheelie bar coming soon, so that is going to open up a whole new can of worms for me:biglaugh:.

We are about the same weight, and our times are very close to being the same, so it will be interesting to see what mods you do and what the improvements are.

Jeff

Went back today and ran another 7 passes under same temp and humidity...WITHOUT the cans in place on my UFO pipes....

That got plenty of attention, lucky I didn't pass any cops on the way to the strip.....which is about 3 miles away...

I lost MPH in both 1/4 and 1/8 mile and about .10 off ET on average...

Don't think this motor likes open headers I guess....

My 60 foot times did get a little better tho..not much but a little....

No, you will loose HP and torque with no baffle in the exhaust. I forgot where the post went but they discussed this. I also tried this setup with my Kerker 4-2-1 and yes it attracts attention street / strip!! The only way I could see this setup allowing you to run 101+MPH in the 1/8 mile is if you jetted is rich and ran indvidual air filters, but why bother.
I have even heard of burning valves from running a stock setup with open exhaust, I did it when I was younger to make self think I had a bad ass high HP motor.
To get the VMAX in the 1.50's 60 ft times you have to SLLLLLLLLLLLIDE the clutch out the first 20FT revving the engine around 8500-9500 (I am sure its up there I have never looked due to hanging on)
If your bracket racing for money and trying to run a dial in than do what your doing holding the RPMS at 6500 and letting the clutch out to make it fall on its face than dropping the throttle. Its consistent but makes for a slow launch 1.69+
ET in dragracing is all in the launch the first 60FT.
If your scared you shouldnt be on the dragstrip with your motorcycle.
There is a big difference in fear and respect. I respect my VMAX for what it can do if I go past my abilities on it, but I hope I have learned them. If I am scared to ride or just get an easy feeling I turn around and park it.

Thanks, for the info,...It'll help.

What your'e saying I SHOULD be doing is basically what I AM doing, except I'm still figuring out the clutch release rate....

If your scared you shouldnt be on the dragstrip with your motorcycle.
There is a big difference in fear and respect. I respect my VMAX for what it can do if I go past my abilities on it, but I hope I have learned them. If I am scared to ride or just get an easy feeling I turn around and park it.

:ummm:

Why would you say that?:confused2:

Not scared, just learning...Never said I was scared, just don't wanna be doing wheelies down the track like an amatuer (which I AM) We can't all be ex-professional motorcycle drag riders........

while i was in texas on leave i took my zx14 to redline raceway in caddo mills tx. It was my first time to ever run a bike down a dragstrip, so i thought that i did pretty well. 60 ft times were pretty consistent 1.71, and after i got my first run jitters out i ran 6.76, 6.78, and 6.77. On another note, my dad managed to run a 6.05 @ 122 on my bike ( bone stock) and a 7.41 @ 94 mph on his bone stock M109R. Mind you, He's 5'6" and weighs 148 lbs in a jacket, jeans, and boots lol, but the little bastard can ride. Sean, he's the guy that talked to you at the PMRA finals last year. I can't wait to get my max running and take it to the track. The way i see it, if i can get it down into the 6's i'll be able to embarrass EVERY 1000 that runs here lol.

while i was in texas on leave i took my zx14 to redline raceway in caddo mills tx. It was my first time to ever run a bike down a dragstrip, so i thought that i did pretty well. 60 ft times were pretty consistent 1.71, and after i got my first run jitters out i ran 6.76, 6.78, and 6.77. On another note, my dad managed to run a 6.05 @ 122 on my bike ( bone stock) and a 7.41 @ 94 mph on his bone stock M109R. Mind you, He's 5'6" and weighs 148 lbs in a jacket, jeans, and boots lol, but the little bastard can ride. Sean, he's the guy that talked to you at the PMRA finals last year. I can't wait to get my max running and take it to the track. The way i see it, if i can get it down into the 6's i'll be able to embarrass EVERY 1000 that runs here lol.

You can run 6's on the VMAX with a good header, carb settings, and a sticky tire. I have ran many 1/8 mile passes in the 6's and I am about 240 dressed and ready to run.
If you can launch your VMAX in the 1.5's than you will run 6's.
If you cant launch than you will need to be able to make enough hp to run 102+mph which is hard to do on a stock motor / stock carbs. unless your 150lbs LOL

i'm 165 lbs, and just started a cutting diet. By cutting red meat out of my diet, not eating anything that ends in ose, running a minimum of 12 miles a week, and swimming 2,000 meters a day it shouldn't take me too long to drop down to a good racing weight. I used to cut down to about 145-150 when i was sand dragging in high school. I've got no doubts that i can handle the max. I'm guessing that 2 more trips to the track and i'll have my 14 in the mid-low 1.5's at stock wheelbase with stock gearing.

Yankee...

Unless you posted an old picture, or gained 60 lbs since that album photo...you're 180 soaking wet at best.

:confused2:

Your are lankeeyankee and not chunkyyankee...correct???

:rofl_200:

Neil

Not really sure which pic your talking about, but as of yesterday the scale tipped at 221 in khakis and button down shirt. I would guess my leather jacket I wear for racing is around 7lbs, gloves 2lbs. these are guesstimates not actual dead on NHRA offical weigh in's at a national event in a stock class:rofl_200:
I am 6ft 7 though.

http://www.vmaxforum.net/album.php?albumid=13&pictureid=53

Why arent you playing ball at 6' 7" and skinny???

Damn boy....

Neil

Shit white boys cant jump! Since your a short man do you play minature golf:ummm:
Do you go up to fat people and say damn your fat do you sumo wrestle:ummm:
Or go up to a short guy and say Wow your short are you a horse jockey:ummm:
WOW your old did you fight in WW1:ummm:
List goes on and on.......:confused2:

Shit white boys cant jump! Since your a short man do you play minature golf:ummm:
Do you go up to fat people and say damn your fat do you sumo wrestle:ummm:
Or go up to a short guy and say Wow your short are you a horse jockey:ummm:
WOW your old did you fight in WW1:ummm:
List goes on and on.......:confused2:

Actually, my dad played for the Cincinnati Reds from 48-54, and 2 of my nephews are the sons of a UK Wildcat National champ from 1996.

I played college BB and just bowl now ;(((( You do get to see me on Sunday during the winter every once in a while on ESPN :eusa_dance:

Just busting your chops and seeing how you deal.

Neil

Actually, my dad played for the Cincinnati Reds from 48-54, and 2 of my nephews are the sons of a UK Wildcat National champ from 1996.

I played college BB and just bowl now ;(((( You do get to see me on Sunday during the winter every once in a while on ESPN :eusa_dance:

Just busting your chops and seeing how you deal.

Neil

I hope you're wearing your VMaxForum T-shirt when you are on camera! :biglaugh:

Back