New Shinko

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srk468

Reaction score
Just ordered my new tires, they finally are making the Shinko verge in 200/50-18 and I ordered a 120/70-18 for the front, I'll have to move my fender down some but I already measured and it will look good I think. Now its time to tear the bike down and start on the swingarm, sent an email to Sean with my grocery list but I'm gonna hate to see the price tag I bet! LOL

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt

i hope you don't have a stock front rim or that tire won't fit.

Why wouldn't the tire fit? I have a 120/90-18 Shinko bias ply on the front now, I realize its shorter but it should fit I would think? It's going on an 85 front wheel...

the problem is the damn vmax stock wheel is too narrow. the problem with the shorter sidewall is it pinches the tire so it cups too much. makes the handling kind of squirely. i ran about 1000 miles like that before i (i know it was cheaper to change the tire) upgraded the front to a cazz wheel. Sorry to be a debby downer. i attached a pic of it on my bike. maybeit wont' bother u but it sure didn't seem safe, and didn't handle right. also when i took it off and put it on the new rim there seemed to be the beginnings of stress lines where it was cupping.

looks like you'll have quite a few options in the 110 size:

http://www.bikebandit.com/front-110...ires/c/a642336a5a622987a327a14a634723a344a351

that *should* work altho i'd ask someone like bill k for sure. i think hes running one.

Attachments

• 2010-10-28 16.34.17.jpg
    2010-10-28 16.34.17.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 47
Well it's too late now, I'll give it a shot at least... If it doesn't work out I'll use the Michelin Pilot Road 2 but really would like to keep the same tread pattern front and rear.

Well it's too late now, I'll give it a shot at least... If it doesn't work out I'll use the Michelin Pilot Road 2 but really would like to keep the same tread pattern front and rear.

I hear ya, but at least u could return it now if u don't mount it. Or even cancel the order.

Just got the rear today, damn that thing is huge!! LOL I called bikebandit and they sent me a return shipping label for the front and I even caught the ups man as he was delivering the rear, so he even took the front back with him! :clapping: I went with the Battlax 016 for the front in a 110/80-18 I went with that one cause it was about the same money and the tread pattern isn't all that different.

very good man. what rim/swingarm are you running? the only problem with fitting a 200 is offset has to be pretty good. ask bill k.

Just got the rear today, damn that thing is huge!! LOL I called bikebandit and they sent me a return shipping label for the front and I even caught the ups man as he was delivering the rear, so he even took the front back with him! :clapping: I went with the Battlax 016 for the front in a 110/80-18 I went with that one cause it was about the same money and the tread pattern isn't all that different.

Just put a set on the Blackbird in 17 flavor . Still breakin' 'em in , but so far , they handle & stop very well. Smooth at 125 in a straight line. :clapping:

Attachments

• 7-19-11 1144.jpg
    7-19-11 1144.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 7-19-11 1146.jpg
    7-19-11 1146.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 15
very good man. what rim/swingarm are you running? the only problem with fitting a 200 is offset has to be pretty good. ask bill k.

I'm doing my own swingarm, I'm buying the 3" extension for the driveshaft from Sean so I can still run the stock shaft (I'd rather keep that as the weak link anyway) but I'm sure I'm gonna have to put that tire right next to the shaft and still offset it just a tad. On my bike at least visually it looks like I'm offset to the LEFT just a bit so going right about an 1/8" will make it look right and measure right anyway but I'm thinking I'll have to go about another 1/8" but it still should look pretty good I think, seems in how I'm extending the swingarm anyway I've got some room to play. I'll post some pics of the new tires..

Attachments

• IMAG0266.jpg
    IMAG0266.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 10
  • IMAG0267.jpg
    IMAG0267.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMAG0268.jpg
    IMAG0268.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 9
  • IMAG0270.jpg
    IMAG0270.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMAG0271.jpg
    IMAG0271.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 12
Here is what the bike looks like from the rear now (I have straightened up the plate some so it's not as bad looking now) but like I said it actually sits left some.. I thought it was weird and an optical illusion but I measured and it is to the left a little so like I said I'll have a little room to play, it's still gonna be fitting 5lbs of shit into a 1lb bag I know but I'll make it work and look right I promise you that! :punk:

Attachments

• IMAG0008.jpg
    IMAG0008.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 22
very cool man. look forward to the progress. what rim are you using?

I bought another stock wheel off of ebay and sent it to Kosman so now its an 18"x6" and I also got a screamin deal on an 85 front rim and that's what's going up front. I'm also switching to early style forks and taking off 1 rotor and caliper and just 1 wavy rotor (opposite side of rear) with one of Sean's brackets with a 6 piston Busa caliper, I have already had the lectures from a bunch of people on here about using a single rotor (not directed at you Gannon) so I really don't need to hear them again... I'm trying to lighten the bike as much as possible, also pulling the engine and going to solid mounts, gonna pull the heads and mill them .020" and use a thinner head gasket and do a little porting :)

i didn't think gannon was on this thread? anyways. hey man best of luck with the brakes, i bet i'll work fine. not my cup of tea, but as asked i'll keep my comments to myself. i'd honestly be more concerned about the smaller forks. whats the weight difference?

18x6 is gonna be big! since it will extend another .5" into the swingarm from a 17" wheel, u sure the clearance will be ok?

i didn't think gannon was on this thread? anyways. hey man best of luck with the brakes, i bet i'll work fine. not my cup of tea, but as asked i'll keep my comments to myself. i'd honestly be more concerned about the smaller forks. whats the weight difference?

18x6 is gonna be big! since it will extend another .5" into the swingarm from a 17" wheel, u sure the clearance will be ok?

Sorry bro I got confused cause I was out in the shop when I replied earlier... Yes the wheel will be fine, it actually lands perfectly into the stock notch and the tire is practically identical in height as the one I have on there now, that's why I went with the 200/50-18 because its less than a 1/16 of an inch taller than what I have now, I didn't want to add any more gear by going to a 200/50-17 because its a bit shorter than what I have now. I'm not positive on the weight difference on the forks but I know everything is smaller on the early forks including the triple trees and I need to rebuild mine anyway so I'm going to swap to the lighter set and I'll change the head bearings while I'm at it too.. I've got a blown seal on my current forks so the brake I'm removing is covered in fork oil anyway so it can't be doing much so I figure by going to the early forks I can run the Busa caliper with a wavy rotor and it should stop at least as good (probably better) than what I have now and I've never been in a situation where I couldn't stop in time yet. I do ride fairly conservative on the street though, I have a cdl so my license is how I make my living so I try to be careful.

Just ordered my new tires, they finally are making the Shinko verge in 200/50-18 and I ordered a 120/70-18 for the front, I'll have to move my fender down some but I already measured and it will look good I think. Now its time to tear the bike down and start on the swingarm, sent an email to Sean with my grocery list but I'm gonna hate to see the price tag I bet! LOL

No worries, just set it up so you send him money every 2 weeks or month like a payment. Once you are done the pain is over and you have a smile on your face with all your goodies....:clapping:

G

No worries, just set it up so you send him money every 2 weeks or month like a payment. Once you are done the pain is over and you have a smile on your face with all your goodies....:clapping:

G

I've got the money right now so I just assume get it all coming before I spend it on something else! LOL

I bought another stock wheel off of ebay and sent it to Kosman so now its an 18"x6" and I also got a screamin deal on an 85 front rim and that's what's going up front. I'm also switching to early style forks and taking off 1 rotor and caliper and just 1 wavy rotor (opposite side of rear) with one of Sean's brackets with a 6 piston Busa caliper, I have already had the lectures from a bunch of people on here about using a single rotor (not directed at you Gannon) so I really don't need to hear them again... I'm trying to lighten the bike as much as possible, also pulling the engine and going to solid mounts, gonna pull the heads and mill them .020" and use a thinner head gasket and do a little porting :)

Sorry didn't know I lectured you :rofl_200:

G

Latest posts

Back