New VMAX windshield from factory???

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trent7276

Reaction score
Have any of you seen or have the Mini III windshield that comes from Yamaha? Is this something new this year I wonder? If you have it, please post or send me pics of it on your bike if it's not too much trouble. I think I've decided on that one with the "wings" graphic. Can anyone estimate the height? The pics I've seen don't have it on a VMAX.

Thanks!
aba42h050130-500.jpg

Trent

Go to my garage and look at the pictures of my bike under "this is what she looked like when I bought her"
or something like that.

Last edited:
Well, I went to the dealer and bought the Mini III windshield. Looks very nice on the bike! Only one problem, on the 20 mile highway commute this morning, my head was vibrating my fillings out! Wind buffetting on the helmet was almost unbearable.

I've never ridden with a windshield in my life so maybe I just need to get used to it. I tried moving my head up and down, forward and back, and the only place it wouldn't do it was about 12 inches from the windshield top (or closer), eye level or below. I normally sit about 18-24 inches back from it, so not sure what I can do since lowering isn't an option and raising 2 inches doesn't seem like it would help in this case.

Thinking of the flyscreen now since it blocks some wind off the torso and keeps the head in the breeze (hey, at least that will be smooth, but loud).

Dealer won't take the windshield back unless perfect condition and then 20% restocking fee...I could be stuck with this one...minor scratch while installing and I'd lose 20%.

Looking for advice...What do you think??

Trent

Well, I went to the dealer and bought the Mini III windshield. Looks very nice on the bike! Only one problem, on the 20 mile highway commute this morning, my head was vibrating my fillings out! Wind buffetting on the helmet was almost unbearable.

I've never ridden with a windshield in my life so maybe I just need to get used to it. I tried moving my head up and down, forward and back, and the only place it wouldn't do it was about 12 inches from the windshield top (or closer), eye level or below. I normally sit about 18-24 inches back from it, so not sure what I can do since lowering isn't an option and raising 2 inches doesn't seem like it would help in this case.

Thinking of the flyscreen now since it blocks some wind off the torso and keeps the head in the breeze (hey, at least that will be smooth, but loud).

Dealer won't take the windshield back unless perfect condition and then 20% restocking fee...I could be stuck with this one...minor scratch while installing and I'd lose 20%.

Looking for advice...What do you think??

Trent

Can you adjust the height of the windscreen? It sounds like it is too low for your height.

I can, about 2 inches max up. Gonna try that when I get home...but when i duck 2 inches in my riding position it doesn't seem to help much. Only when I lean forward towards the shield does it help.

I can, about 2 inches max up. Gonna try that when I get home...but when i duck 2 inches in my riding position it doesn't seem to help much. Only when I lean forward towards the shield does it help.

Windshields cause a "turbulence zone" (for lack of a better word) behind them. Moving the windshield higher should move that zone further back on the bike, hopefully behind where you are sitting.

Well, I moved it up 2" and it's definitely better now. But it's right at that point where I look at the highway so I'm kind of half and half through the windshield and not which feels a little weird, but I expected that. I do notice air coming under the bars on the sides and giving me small little punches of air on the torso, but overall, less noise, warmer in the morning, less bugs and rocks hitting me, and I was treated to something never before discovered...riding with my helmet shield fully open on the highway!! Man is that great!!

Glad it worked out!:clapping: I believe there is a market for a good windscreen/semi faring for the VMax. It would have to be designed for the VMax, not one of the "fits all models" styles. I hate long highway runs where you feel like a sail on the bike. I haven't seen any screen that I liked the look of and they all bolt to the handlebars and/or forks. I have a tin foil hat theory that this causes handling issues, I haven't proved the theory either way.:whistlin: I believe an add on like that should fasten to the frame. A half fairing, like on the SVs, I think, would look good if it was designed right. Where are all the graphic artists on this forum??

have the same shield on a 06 and sounds like your doing 200 mph going down a side road or highway,,tryed it up and down dont help..stand up on the pegs and its nice and quiet..do alot of cool weather riding mostly every nite so i put up with it till it warms up...if anyone trys a fly screen please let me know how it works out....mini 111 as far as handleing at highway speeds or beyond is no problem steady as a rock

have the same shield on a 06 and sounds like your doing 200 mph going down a side road or highway,,tryed it up and down dont help..stand up on the pegs and its nice and quiet..do alot of cool weather riding mostly every nite so i put up with it till it warms up...if anyone trys a fly screen please let me know how it works out....mini 111 as far as handleing at highway speeds or beyond is no problem steady as a rock

Sorry to exhume this old thread, but I just put one (mini III) on my '92 and took it for a test run. It took the wind off my chest and head, which was great, but when I got it over 100 I got a high speed wobble. Without the shield I've had no wobble since I did the Furbur fix, so I was a bit disappointed with the shield. It comes off quickly, so I guess I'll just use it for times when I don't care about top end speeds.
Too bad the angle on it isn't adjustable so I could tilt it back a bit more and use it at speed.
Also, I agree with Buster's tinfoil hat theory that the shield shouldn't mount to the bars or forks where it passes aerodynamic forces right to the steering hardware. Don't know where it could possibly be mounted to the frame, however.

Also, I agree with Buster's tinfoil hat theory that the shield shouldn't mount to the bars or forks where it passes aerodynamic forces right to the steering hardware. Don't know where it could possibly be mounted to the frame, however.

I have a Slipstreamer Spitfire windshield on my Max, and the nice thing about it is that it's very adjustable. However it does mount on the handlebars, which, I agree, isn't the best idea when it comes to high speed stability. I'm going to change the handlebars anyway as I'm not happy with the stretched arms seating position - I want more of a relaxed sit-up with arm bent and low cruiser-type stance.:robot000:

I'm considering adding a steering damper to compensate - has anyone done this and have any details for a suitable one and the best anchor points? :ummm:

Naughty,
Any pics of that Slipstreamer ? Right now I'm debating
the mini III or the fly screen.
Thanks,
Chris

Any pics of that Slipstreamer ?

Here are some pix of the Spitfire windshield on my max. These are only about $55 all inc.

Pretty good, but I'm still wondering if a bigger one would be better for real cruising comfort. My commute is 90 miles each way :bang head:

Attachments

• spitfire 1.jpg
    spitfire 1.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 69
  • spitfire 2.jpg
    spitfire 2.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 57
  • spitfire 3.jpg
    spitfire 3.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 58
  • spitfire 4.jpg
    spitfire 4.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 59
Here are a few pics of the Slipstreamer Hellfire shield on the Max. Is is bike specific but I had to fabricate some bracket extensions to get it to fit. I also removed the Hellfire decal from the bottom front.

Attachments

• WS Front 1.jpg
    WS Front 1.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 51
  • WS Front 2.jpg
    WS Front 2.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 39
  • WS Front Close.jpg
    WS Front Close.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 34
  • WS Back.jpg
    WS Back.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 36
  • WS Brackets.jpg
    WS Brackets.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 34
Here are a few pics of the Slipstreamer Hellfire shield on the Max. Is is bike specific but I had to fabricate some bracket extensions to get it to fit. I also removed the Hellfire decal from the bottom front.

Looks like it would be nice to tour with. Is it tall enough to deflect the wind over your head?

It actually stops almost all the wind, including over the top. I am 5'9" and it clears the top of my helmet easily. There is some turbulence coming up from underneath the screen. You can hear every noise the motor, trans and exhaust makes though as the wind noise is considerably reduced. It does seem to be hot behind the screen when I used it last weekend in 96 degree weather. The wind coming up from under the screen brings up some engine heat with it. Would be great in cooler or cold weather though! Got the bike up to a little over 100 with no adverse handling effects.

Just bought a Rifle Superbike Fairing off eBay to see how it works. Had one on my 85 Suzuki GS1150E and it worked great on a trip to the Florida Keys in 1990. Will report on it when I get it and have a chance to install. Will probably have to order some parts from Rifle to mount it since it was not off a Max and mounts are bike specific.

I have tried many different combinations of windshields and luggage on many different bikes. I have found that what works on one bike may not work on another. Just have to experiment and try different combinations. For example, on my Suzuki Bandit, I had 3 different fairing screens plus a Laminar Lip, two different sets of handlebars, two different sets of bar risers and 3 different seats. Anytime you change one thing, it affects the setup. For example, different risers, bars or seats change the windshield coverage due to different positioning of the rider. Sometimes it can be a PITA but if you get it right, the results are great for long trips.

Thanks for the pics.
Naughty does the screen keep the wind of
the helmet ? I like the looks of your slipstream and the price is right.
Seems like most of the screens, ( Flyscreen
or mini III) are compromises. Either torso or head turbulence.
I will be riding deep into fall / early winter. Temps into the 20's.
Any recommendations on any other shield that might keep the
wind off the hands ?
Thanks,
Chris

My Spitfire deflects wind just over my helmet when adjusted high. By high I mean its top edge is just below my line of vision when looking straight ahead. It deflects enough air so that it's a lot more comfy to ride at high speed for a long time. I believe it would also help in staying warm quite a lot in cold weather, and I get plenty of air from underneath it, so that keeps me reasonably cool here in the FL heat.

Because of its shape though, (and I'm 6'2" in that lowered Corbin) while it deflects just over the helmet, there's still quite a bit of turbulence to the sides, which makes for a lot of wind noise.:damn angry: Even with the Schuberth C1 lid and 30dBa foam ear-plugs, I still get some ear ringing after an hour of 75+mph highway riding. There's also still plenty of air pressure on my arms, but I don't mind that much - it makes 100+ speed feel like I'm going somewhere. :eusa_dance:

Because of the noise (I make music for a living) I am interested in something maybe slightly wider, but don't like the looks of those much..:bang head:

I've seen 135 on the speedo in a straight line without any adverse effects,
rant.gif
although I'm quite unhappy with how my bike is currently sprung and handles but am hoping new tires and head bearings and races will help some. It's fine in a straight line line since doing the Furbur fix, but I wouldn't dream of trying to make any kind of turn above 75mph, and it also twitches horribly over every bump or lane change at high speed. I have a feeling the suspension is shot 'cos I've never had a bike where I can feel every pebble on the road like on this one. I was told it has 'progressive springs' front and back when I bought it, but feel I need to service the forks and trash those shorter shocks with no damping adjustment.
rant.gif

As far as keeping your hands warm, forget about windshields - they don't do much about chill factor (I should know I lived and rode in UK for 20 years!).
What I can really highly recommend though, is heated grips!
You can get a decent set for about ?30 ($60) on eBay (look in ebay.co.uk) and fit them yourself no problem. The good ones come with an on/off knob that's also a temp control. The last ones I had on my Aprilia Pegaso I could never have higher than the third click (out of 8) or it felt like my gloves were about to melt :angry flame::angry flame::angry flame:
You can't beat having the heat inside your hands in cold weather rides! :punk:

Thanks for the info naughty. Not sure if it's your suspension though.
I have an 89 with 17,000 original miles and I feel the lines painted
on the asphalt. When I change the fork seals I'll be trying a set of
progressive springs. Maybe some progressive's for the rear also.
Maybe it's just the old technology. I'm a musician also though I never
got to the point where I did it as my sole source of income. I'm used
to the ear ringing. :band:
Thanks again,
Chris

Back