No brake lights front or rear

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duke86max

Reaction score
Just brought home my 86 and have no brake lights front or rear. I noticed it when I went to pick it up and the guy said "really they worked the other day" for what thats worth.

First thing I checked was the bulbs All filaments are intact.

On the front I took off the 2 wires going to the switch and put them together as was recommended in another post still no lights.

On the rear I pulled the switch off and worked it by hand and no lights. I do have another switch I'm going to try in the morning.

Anything else I should check for or am I just going to have to track wire?
Thanks
Duke

Yup. Fuse box is under the faux-tank, on the left, just in front of the seat. It's prolly what's gone, if both FR and RR don't work.

Otherwise, it's also possible that a wire or a connection are gone. There's a connector under the seat with all the wires going to the rear light and blinkers. Unplug, then do a continuity test between there and the rear.

I'd work my way backwards starting at the tail light then. Did you check if you have any power going to the bulbs using a voltometer when you have either the front brake or rear foot break on? Maybe the guy had the tail off and forgot to reconnet the wires back there. Does the running light work?

I'd work my way backwards starting at the tail light then. Did you check if you have any power going to the bulbs using a voltometer when you have either the front brake or rear foot break on? Maybe the guy had the tail off and forgot to reconnet the wires back there. Does the running light work?[/QUOTE]

+1, does the running light come on with the headlight? Pretty sure the running light circuit is the blue wire, and the brake light circuit is the yellow wire.

Even tho the filiment appears to be intact, I'd make certain...before going any farther...that it isn't the bulb.

Doesn't seem likely that both brake switches would be bad.

Not sure if there is a brake light fuse but it sure would be the next step after the bulb check.

Good luck, keep us posted.

Thanks for all of the replies. I found out what was wrong. The dumba$$ PO connected the wires wrong I also found that the connectors are pretty well worn so I think I'm gonna put on new ones while I've got it apart.
Thanks again
Duke

For a bunch of years, and until recently, I didn't realize my Max had self-cancelling turn signals.

And now I find out I'm suposed to have front brake lights too? :ummm:

I quit. I must be getting too old to ride.

For a bunch of years, and until recently, I didn't realize my Max had self-cancelling turn signals.

And now I find out I'm suposed to have front brake lights too? :ummm:

I quit. I must be getting too old to ride.

Can I have your Max???? :confused2:

Whut??? just sayin :clapping:

Can I have your Max???? :confused2:

Whut??? just sayin :clapping:

Yep.....you sure can. For a small fee of only $1,000,000.00 plus tax. Only way to replace it in my heart would be with a lot of money to travel - by trains, planes and fancy automobiles.

Yep.....you sure can. For a small fee of only $1,000,000.00 plus tax. Only way to replace it in my heart would be with a lot of money to travel - by trains, planes and fancy automobiles.

Hey....that's a great price!!! You just got the one.....?? :rofl_200:

Hey....that's a great price!!! You just got the one.....?? :rofl_200:

Ummmmmmmmmmm................well.......

If you got an extra Mil, I think I can find another Max around here some place. Lets see.......where'd I put that other one......

Or, I could maybe let go of one of the Maisto's for a bit less...make me an offer.

Oh, and don't forget the tax. Uncle Sambama's gotta have his too, ya know.

Back