Noobie question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I only use about 1/4 of the throttle
In the right gear, 1/4 throttle can have you breaking the speed limit.. :rofl_200:

Be careful and take it slow. BTW, congrats on your new bike.. :clapping:

I'm sure he must mean riding dirt bikes and NOT riding a V-max in the dirt when he says its great experience. Riding a V-max in the dirt to help a newbie gain experience would be the worst advice I've ever seen on this forum, don't do it. The type of bike has nothing to do with how or where you learn, but don't ride any bike amongst traffic until you can use all of the controls confidently. Also keep in mind that unlike the old days, almost any modern car with abs will out stop a V-max Gen 1. keep your distance.

Matt

Most definitely a dirt bike and not a vmax in the dirt! :biglaugh: Its a great way to learn control and falling is much cheaper and less painful!

I moved to Australia back in 1996 and couldn't believe that you had to start with a 250cc or less here in Western Australia. I rode up to the license center when my ZX-11 rolled off the ship and they said I couldn't ride it here until I rode a 250 for a year. It took about an hour to explain that I'd been riding since I was six and my first road bike back in 1979 was a 400cc. they said o.k. at the end. Now you still have to start on a 650cc with limited H.P. for a year before you can go bigger. I hate that rule and think it sucks but they think it saves lives??? I think you are correct when you say there is a big difference between the average 16-17 year old (kid) and a responsible adult with there head on straight.

Matt

My first bike was a maximum 650 great beginner bike. One thing that happened to me as a beginner rider was when I first took a long sweeping curve I tried to turn the handle bars like a pedal bike and I nearly ran out of road and hit the curb. To me when you're riding slow you can steer like a pedal bike but when you get to faster speeds you actually turn slightly away from the direction you want to go and the bike just leans over and you go around the turn no problem just keep that in mind when out on your first rides. I sold that bike a year later. 20 years after that I bought a vmax so I think you will be fine.

I moved to Australia back in 1996 and couldn't believe that you had to start with a 250cc or less here in Western Australia. I rode up to the license center when my ZX-11 rolled off the ship and they said I couldn't ride it here until I rode a 250 for a year. It took about an hour to explain that I'd been riding since I was six and my first road bike back in 1979 was a 400cc. they said o.k. at the end. Now you still have to start on a 650cc with limited H.P. for a year before you can go bigger. I hate that rule and think it sucks but they think it saves lives??? I think you are correct when you say there is a big difference between the average 16-17 year old (kid) and a responsible adult with there head on straight.

Matt
I had a similar situation in North Carolina they required a motorcycle road test even though I had a NY State Auto and MC license I traded in for a NC License
When I went to take my motorcycle road test on my Vmax,
the tester saw it and then asked how long I'd been riding.
I explained that I'd been riding since I was 6 years old and on the road since I was 16.
He didn't even make me take the test, he just filled out the form and signed it so I could get my MC stamp on my license.

Personally, dont think a VMAX will be a great beginner bike. Just because they tend to need a bit more maintenance, have low range due to tank, and since your on the big side, may not be comfortable.

Also, what do your buddies ride? If sport bikes, I would definitely not ride with them for a long while. Biggest risk is they will ride a bit fast through the twisties, and you will try to keep up and likely ride through the corner. Happens all the time and the VMAX is not known to be a good twisties bike.

Take it easy for a long while. Let the other riders know you are beginning.

My son took exactly two rides on my wifes Suzuki Burgman 400 scooter. He went from the scoot to my Vmax.. Not a problem, though he about spoilt his drawers when he hit the boost the first time. Never had a problem, and took a Gen2out for a test ride at Thunder last year. You'll be fine.

The one big difference I can tell going from the RF900 to the 'Max is torque; on the 'Max I just twist the wrist for a little burst of speed. I'd have to tap down two gears to get that burst of speed on my RF900....

Personally, dont think a VMAX will be a great beginner bike. Just because they tend to need a bit more maintenance, have low range due to tank, and since your on the big side, may not be comfortable.

Also, what do your buddies ride? If sport bikes, I would definitely not ride with them for a long while. Biggest risk is they will ride a bit fast through the twisties, and you will try to keep up and likely ride through the corner. Happens all the time and the VMAX is not known to be a good twisties bike.

Take it easy for a long while. Let the other riders know you are beginning.

They are a good bunch to be honest, they would do all they could to look out for me until I'm comfortable. No sport bikes, a combination of V65, boulevard 109 and a few harley davidson's.

Just to clear something up here...I don't as of yet own a V-Max. But when making my profile it would not let me continue till I added a Bike.

It was a red Max that caught my eye at first, so i just added that....For now :p

You can get used to it. The main problem is that even stock, it is a bike capable of low elevens to high tens, and for a new rider thats not careful, it will get away from you. That being said....the first time that you disrespect what the bike can do, it can kill you.

But, except for being high hp for a beginner, there is NOT any reason that it cant be a first bike. Just take it easy, and not too much throttle in the beginning. Riding around town, I only use about 1/4 of the throttle.

Great advice, and thats what I'm going for. Having a Max for a first bike will give me all the more reason to take things slow.

Back