Odyssey Battery Died

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m-cman

Alien Abductee
Reaction score
Well, looks like my Odyssey battery finally died. It has a build date of 12/04 so it lasted over 9 years. Trying to charge it right now but have my doubts it will take.

As much as I like the battery, I need to find something less expensive but still maintenance-free. It is just too much of a pain to remove, add water, etc to the old type battery. Some of you guys have found cheaper replacements. Need some info on which are doing well (lasting for a reasonable length of time, holding a charge) and where to get the lowest price. I did a search but what I found may be obsolete by now.

Any recommendations?

OK, did find some info on a Panasonic LC-X1220P. Found one for about $46 shipped. Is this the battery everyone was talking about and if so, is this the best price?

I am also happy with my shorai after 3 years it never failed or required charging.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

9 years is really good lifespan for any battery.
I have the UB12180, 283CCA 18Ah battery (a Panasonic LC-X1220P replacement).
Read this post:
http://www.vmaxforum.net/showpost.ph...&postcount=146
Currently $47 including shipping.
It's maintenance free (SLA/AGM) and mine is still going strong after 6 years of use.
And there is also a UB12220 that is 420 CCA 22Ah battery that is about $52 including shipping.

One of my Odyssey's is 6-1/2 years old and still holds a charge of over 13 volts for nearly a month without being run. My next battery will be an Odyssey, I hate getting stuck when I'm out on a ride in the middle of nowhere. No matter the price....

I too, am in need of a replacement battery and have been watching these threads for info. So I was just looking at the Panasonic #UB12220 as recommended above and noticed it has a different terminal connection from OEM. Did you guys do anything special to adapt to the stock terminals w/o cutting or modifying? I haven't checked the dimensions yet but no one has said anything about any mods needed to fit the battery so I assume it's the exact same size?

I too, am in need of a replacement battery and have been watching these threads for info. So I was just looking at the Panasonic #UB12220 as recommended above and noticed it has a different terminal connection from OEM. Did you guys do anything special to adapt to the stock terminals w/o cutting or modifying? I haven't checked the dimensions yet but no one has said anything about any mods needed to fit the battery so I assume it's the exact same size?
It's the almost the same size as the OEM Yuasa battery, so it fits the stock battery box.
Here are the Dimensions for both:
YUASA YB16AL-A2 Dimensions: 8.125" x 2.8125" x 6.4375"
UB12180 Dimensions: 7.13" x 3.01" x 6.57"
Mine slid right in, it was a little tighter than the Stock YUASA but not much.
As for the Terminals, they just use nuts and bolts and I didn't have to do anything but bend the wires to it and connect them.
I even have a Battery tender plug added on to the posts.

I replaced my Odyssey (with another PC680) after 5 years but I think I might have signed it's premature death by leaving the ignition key on and the headlight set to high beam for about 10 days. DOH! :bang head:
I purchased my replacement Odyssey PC680 from Apex battery for $101, shipping included. On my last battery I started using a Battery Tender on year 4 and will continue using it as a matter of good battery maintenance for any long term storage (month or longer).
The Panasonic is a great battery from the reports and it's price is hard to beat. The Shorai is a high performance battery for it's weight, an option for those watching the amount of weight they put on their bike, the price is steep so the lighter weight comes at price.

OK, did find some info on a Panasonic LC-X1220P. Found one for about $46 shipped. Is this the battery everyone was talking about and if so, is this the best price?

I have the equivalent of that battery, and love mine. That seems like a good price.

I run the Shorai in my Max as well...

I never have ANY slow start problems, and it's light as hell. (Note: make SURE you buy the Shorai charger that's designed for the lithium battery. They're also incredibly light, and it's easy to keep the battery on a trickle charge whenever you're not running the bike.)

Elimax

I'm sorta confused in that you are looking for and alternative to the PC 360 after 9 years of life? That's a testament to just how good a battery it is. I've seen them as cheap as $119 shipped as posted by some forum members. Just working the cost per year of service out, that's super cheap for what you get I think.

I agree, I'll never buy another battery other than the Odyssey, I'm on year 6 so far and cost per year is already way the hell less than those Yuasa Junkers.

Well, decided on the AGM UB12220 22 amp battery off eBay. $42.49 shipped. Exact same picture and battery sold by APEX but cheaper. Don't like the terminal setup. Required a lot of twisting and bending to get the cables to fit but started sure spins the starter fast and lights are BRIGHT! No problem with fit.

Link - http://www.ebay.com/itm/190952081823?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
You won't be sorry. That battery last a long time and at 22 AH it has great capacity. I think I'm on my 4th year with the same. I never trickle charge it, and my bike sits all winter. Good deal too, I payed more. Good luck with it Don.
Steve-o

I bought a TMS AGM battery from amazon for wifes SV650 two years ago she does not ride it very often and it is not hooked up to a tender. That bike will start every time like it is new. I have the odyssey in my Vmax, and I love it. I would buy it again without thinking twice. I have had different brand batteries over the years trying to save a little money, but so far the Odyssey has been the most reliable one so far.

I run the Shorai in my Max as well...

I never have ANY slow start problems, and it's light as hell. (Note: make SURE you buy the Shorai charger that's designed for the lithium battery. They're also incredibly light, and it's easy to keep the battery on a trickle charge whenever you're not running the bike.)

Elimax[/QUOTE

But, how about when the ordinary charging system on the bike is doing the work?

But, how about when the ordinary charging system on the bike is doing the work?

I've never had to put a tender on mine and even after it sat for about 3 weeks it still read 12.8v at the battery and started right up. The shorai lithium batteries are awesome. I will talk to the ducati dealer here in my hometown and see if he would give you guys special pricing on them. He sold me mine for about $100 because it had been installed for a week and returned, so if he would be willing to go below $140 shipped for other VMAX guys that would be pretty sweet.

Latest posts

Back