Oil cooler for '89 Max?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elimax

Reaction score
Hi all:

Any of you know if an oil cooler product exists for the earliest Maxes? I've seen them advertised for later models, but couldn't find 'em for the very first generation. (I have an '89.)

Thanks!

Elimax

Hi all:

Any of you know if an oil cooler product exists for the earliest Maxes? I've seen them advertised for later models, but couldn't find 'em for the very first generation. (I have an '89.)

Thanks!

Elimax

Anything that fit on an 07 motor will fit on an 85 motor so an oil cooler will fit all years of the 1st Gen.

Go to www.exactrep.com, look under "Engine Enhancements", scroll down to "[SIZE=+1]Curved Oil Cooler in Silver 1996 Models onwards[/SIZE]"

I sent them an email asking why this would not work for a 1989 Max, because if you look at the description for the mod, it says "Please State Year of Engine when Ordering (as for Paper Element Type or Thread on Type Oil Filter) ."

Do you understand why this would be?

Anyway, I'll letcha know when I hear back from them.

Elimax

I was going to try and adapt one to the 95 and older engines using an oil cooler from my old seca turbo. It is basically a spacer behind the oil filter housing. The 96 and up blocks use a spin on filter so it would need to be different.

Sean

Okay folks:

I heard back from Exactrep this a.m. about their oil cooler. Here is what they say:

"The Oil Cooler will only fit models 96 -> the type with the Cartridge/ cannister oil filter.

I have now amended the wording.

Regards
Tracey"

So, my questions are these to you Maxers:

1) Does a mod exist to make an old '89 Max take a cartridge/canister filter?

2) Do any of you have images of it so I can ask Exactrep if it the oil cooler might THEN work on the older Maxes?

Thanks!

Elimax

Yes Cycle One Off makes a kit to make it a spin on filter but that doesn't mean that this Exactrep item will fit it.

96 and older or 96 and newer. The 95 and older are cartridge type. The 96 and new are spin-on.

Sean

96 and older or 96 and newer. The 95 and older are cartridge type. The 96 and new are spin-on.

Sean

I want an oil cooler so my Max stays cooler in this billion-degree Arizona heat. (I already use Engine Ice coolant and I have a Muzzy's fan and a manual fan switch.)

Elimax

Take off Muzzy's fan. It's metal and actually doesn't move as much heat as a stock fan motor. Try Toyota Factory Red coolant and a Borg Warner TFS545 fan switch.

Thanks for the info, Maleko89. So, why is the Toyota coolant better than the Engine Ice?

Also, where's a good place to buy the Borg Warner fan switch?

Thanks again.

Elimax

Red is made for aluminum engines and is very clean. I'm not familiar with Engine Ice so I can't comment.

Borg Warner can be ordered from Nap, O'Reilly's or probably any other autho parts store.

Back