Oil sensor Unit

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gamorg02

Reaction score
So on my new v-max the wire got clipped going to the sensor unit so the oil light doesn't work. It is clipped so close to the unit it looks like i'll have to replace it (no way to rewire).

If so, what is your guys suggestion? Looks like around $85 or $90 for a new one, unless someone has a spare one they wanna sell (used or new as long as its working and has the wiring).

a. Leave it in and say screw it, its only a level not a pressure sensor, my old one usually kicked in at 7000rpms anyways at full throttle.

b. leave in old one and add an oil pressure setup:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/V-ma...6489785QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

c. replace the sensor and do the oil pressure setup.

any thoughts?

anyone ever do a level sensor change? Looks pretty easy, just re-do the wiring and take out the two bolts and put the new one in...

I would replace it. I have done this before. Just two bolts and twist it free. Rather than oil pressure gauge would do the o-ring saver kit from vmaxbitz or something like that.

hmm, maybe Sean has a spare one lying around...

I'd say don't worry too much about it as long as you keep an eye on your oil level window regularly.

For peace of mind though, I'd add the oil pressure setup - definitely more important than oil level in my book. I've been considering doing this myself as I have an older engine.

Having said that the setup in your ebay link doesn't look that great to me.

whats the o-ring saver kit do? I was trying to get some info off this site but didn't see why that kit is needed, and what it does...

I was wondering if sean might have one as well... used or new.

whats the vmaxbitz link for the kit? I can't find a legit one.

Where would you get a pressure guage setup?

Personally, I wouldnt worry too much about the oil light as long as you check the oil before you ride. If it lights up and stays on, too late engine is damaged. If it does, like most, come on and then turn off under acceleration, no problem. I highly recommend a C.O.O. speedo mounted oil pressure gauge!! Gives you what you really need to know. He also sells the ones that mount on the water pump, but I don't like to look down at my foot while riding so I went with the speedo mount. I do believe he also offers a handlebar mounted one.

Personally, I wouldnt worry too much about the oil light as long as you check the oil before you ride. If it lights up and stays on, too late engine is damaged. If it does, like most, come on and then turn off under acceleration, no problem. I highly recommend a C.O.O. speedo mounted oil pressure gauge!! Gives you what you really need to know. He also sells the ones that mount on the water pump, but I don't like to look down at my foot while riding so I went with the speedo mount. I do believe he also offers a handlebar mounted one.

Thevmaxrider,

do you have a link for that? Also, the light doesn't turn on at all. The wires are completely cut. My old v-max used to light up under high RPMs so i'm definitely used to that (almost used it as a shift light)...

Thevmaxrider,

do you have a link for that? Also, the light doesn't turn on at all. The wires are completely cut. My old v-max used to light up under high RPMs so i'm definitely used to that (almost used it as a shift light)...

Here is a link to Cycle One Off http://www.cycleoneoff.com/ talk to Tom and he can hook you up with an oil pressure guage kit. Also he sells the o-ring replacement kit too I believe. You will have to drop the pan to do that, but the kit comes with a new pan gasket, if my memory serves me correctly. I understand that your light doesn't come on at all, my intent was to say that if you watch your oil level and have the pressure gauge, the light is worthless anyways IMHO. My light comes on occasionally under hard acceleration, but my pressure guage never wavers which tells me I have plenty of oil moving in the engine. If my guage were to show a sudden drop in pressure I would shut it down ASAP. Heck if mine shows lower than normal by 4psi or so at N.O.T associated to an rpm level, I change the oil.

yea i check the oil level via window every few times i go out. It never changes.

I honestly dont' see that high up on my priorities esp for $100!

i will see what they want for a pressure guage set up COO.

EDIT: nevermind, i found it: http://www.cycleoneoff.com/vmaxpag2.html

Also, what does the o-ring saver kit do, and which o-ring are we talking about?

Thanks!

Thanks for everyone's help. I can probably get one thru sean.

Here's a pic incase I was not being descriptive enough...

Attachments

• SSPX0065.jpg
    SSPX0065.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 44
I have 2 of these oil switches.... 40.00+shipping

Guys remember I have 2 engines sitting in my garage... All good parts except for cranks.

hey everyone..

so i ordered one from sean like back in november and have it lying around since i hadn't done an oil change..

i am going to try to do both this weekend.. heres a question for ya tho...

instead of taking off the middle gear cover n dealing w/all that i was thinking of just using the wire thats already hanging down and snipping off all of but 2-3" on the new(to me) unit. Then just putting a connector on there.

question is, will that part of the engine be too warm for that? The wire definitely has some good insulation on it, and i was wondering if anything i do would get melted by putting it next to the oil pan (basically the same where the wire runs now). is there some sort of insulation i should put over the quick disconnects that i want to move to under the oilpan?

thanks in advance...

When I replaced mine I didn't take the middle gear cover off. You can get to the clamp w/o removing the cover. The level sender hooks near the left side of the battery.

When I replaced mine I didn't take the middle gear cover off. You can get to the clamp w/o removing the cover. The level sender hooks near the left side of the battery.

hmm thats good news.. i tried tracing the wire a bit and it seemed like it would be a pain to feed the wire back up to behind the side panel, but it doesn't really seem like it should be that complicated!

jacking the bike up would probably help a bit instead of laying on my back trying to figure it out...

which clamp are you talking about?

I think there's a clamp somewhere that you have to bend out to get the wire free. It runs along the frame just after the middle gear cover and clamps a bundle of wires.

I think there's a clamp somewhere that you have to bend out to get the wire free. It runs along the frame just after the middle gear cover and clamps a bundle of wires.

ok, since i don't have to remove the middle gear cover and it should be a swap in, i will connect it where it should go.

thanks mark!

so got all my shit done today and the only problem left is the oil sensor. despite trying, the wiring ran behind the middle gear cover and there would be no way to snake it back in w/out removing it...

so i spliced it in on the bottom..

anyways my question to mark/sean whoever wants to answer, any idea why the oil light stays on? i definitely have enough oil in there, not an issue there, just did my change... before putting the used (new to me) sensor in, it showed continuity the correct way (yes when rightside up, since no oil, no when upside down)... and the same way the one I took out shows...

only thing i can think of, is that i let it sit since november and the float isn't moving properly in the new to me one?

thoughts? i let it run for a while today, warming up the oil, thinking it jus thas to penetrate... but it was cold out as well (40)...

thoughts?

Unplug the switch at the connector and see if it reads continuity. If not, there's a short between bulb and switch.

Unplug the switch at the connector and see if it reads continuity. If not, there's a short between bulb and switch.

i follow, since continuity turns the light on and typically means the oil level is low... i'm seeing if the level unit is misreporting or there is a short eh?

Back