only put maybe 500mi on my vmax and think I want a CBR1000

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't sell the MAX they are a legend and a cult type of a motorcycle. I have always had street bikes and over the years always wanted a Vmax. I had a friend who owned My 1989 Vmax. He said he got tired of all the power it had and decided to get a HD so when he said he was selling Max. I said don't bother putting a for sale sign on the bike This bike is in mint alot of extras and it's bored out pushing 165hp. I love this bike and really think it's the best POWER bike I have ever owned. Keep your Max you will regret selling it. Older max's are hard to find and new ones are alot of cash. Mad-Max turnes heads everywhere I go on it....And the sound of a small block will get people looking for sure...Ha. Good Luck!!

If you want a sportbike go for it, but I wouldn't sell the Max right away. They're two totally different bikes and you might find yourself in a "mood" for one bike or the other. If you find yourself never riding the Max after a few weeks, then make the choice to sell it.

I don't agree that fast bikes=speeding tickets. You get ticketed, not the bike. You can get a speeding ticket on a 500 if you want, so if you're "prone to speeding", having a faster bike just makes it easier to lose the fuzz. Right Tim?

While I ride my Max in a "spirited" fashion, it just takes a little "road sense" to know when and when not to speed. I have yet to be stopped on the Max....my only speeding ticket was on the Magna a couple years ago now...for a whopping 72 in a 55. To me, that's not even speeding.

I've found cops don't really bother you if you're much above 100, especially on a bike. Riding in a group of 3-4 pushing 130-140 on highways, we've blown by troopers countless times and not once has one even pulled out. They're looking for the luxury SUVs and riced-out Civics doing 85 in the left lane, not a Vmax doing $1.35 in the right lane, carefully adjusting speed so there's always a car blocking the line of sight to the upcoming u-turn hideout. :biglaugh:

If you want a sportbike go for it, but I wouldn't sell the Max right away. They're two totally different bikes and you might find yourself in a "mood" for one bike or the other. If you find yourself never riding the Max after a few weeks, then make the choice to sell it.

I don't agree that fast bikes=speeding tickets. You get ticketed, not the bike. You can get a speeding ticket on a 500 if you want, so if you're "prone to speeding", having a faster bike just makes it easier to lose the fuzz. Right Tim?

While I ride my Max in a "spirited" fashion, it just takes a little "road sense" to know when and when not to speed. I have yet to be stopped on the Max....my only speeding ticket was on the Magna a couple years ago now...for a whopping 72 in a 55. To me, that's not even speeding.

I've found cops don't really bother you if you're much above 100, especially on a bike. Riding in a group of 3-4 pushing 130-140 on highways, we've blown by troopers countless times and not once has one even pulled out. They're looking for the luxury SUVs and riced-out Civics doing 85 in the left lane, not a Vmax doing $1.35 in the right lane, carefully adjusting speed so there's always a car blocking the line of sight to the upcoming u-turn hideout. :biglaugh:

Recently the FL Highway Patrol has taken to the streets in a crackdown on 'exhibitions of speed,' including packs of bikes riding at triple-digit speeds, deserted expressway street racing, and even popping wheelies. Look at 'specialops' & 'captainkyle's' remarks about the fines we face down here (FL).

My personal experience is that sportbikes attract a type of rider who is more-likely to speed excessively. The H-D's cannot generate the 100+ mph w/the ease of a 750 or > sportbike. They putt-along, ignoring everyone else because they have their circle of owners and don't need anyone else. Now, there are some H-d riders who have other bikes and are more sociable, some guys here...

I've come to the realization I have as fast a bike as I need, and am not likely to buy another unless I blew one up or wrecked it. (own > 1). Besides I dunno how to keep a car between me & the median u-turn patrol car while doing 135, & I'm too-scared about people doing stupid things in-front of me to generate such speeds.

My take.
I'm 42, Ive had my share of bikes over the years, went through the sport bike phase and I miss some of it, but now a days I would rather be on a unique bike that's more than capable and stands out than be on a machine that melts into the back ground and most people don't pay any attention to. Its hard enough for bikers to tell one from another while passing direction let alone the general public. I see more people pass right by a sport bike to gawk at mine and ask questions. And it certainly goes fast enough to put you in jail or the morgue. If its just for the sport thrill then get both. :clapping:

I just wanted to pipe in to commend all the thread contributors for their varied and well thought out contributions. You guys obviously take time and consideration in forming your replies and bring in your "real life" experiences to provide a broad and valuable info that our brother can chew on make an informed decision. This in't the first time you guys have come through and it makes me proud to be a part of this Forum. Thanks Buster and all who participate!
PATMAX

Only you can decide whether to get a sport bike, but in any case don't sell the Vmax. I can't say it any better than it's already been said but the vmax will remain a desirable bike with a cult following that draws attention away from other bikes forever, a sport bike won't do that for more than about a year and then only to those "in the know"

I put 1000 miles on a borrowed Hayabusa two weekends ago, on our annual run to Bandera, Texas to enjoy the twisties....I have to say the instant speed and incredible handling could EASILY make me go over to the "dark side" of Sport Bikes......They are competent machines at all times, I never realized how incompetent a Vmax really was in some areas until spending time on a sport bike.........How nice it is to take the twisties at speed without being in fear at all times........my Max handles great...For a Vmax.....But I had no idea what REAL handling was until the 'Busa............

That being said, my 'effin wrists, back, neck and shoulders hurt like hell by the time I got home Sunday.......I'm 48 y.o.

The only thing that hurts after a long ride on the vmax is my ears:punk:

Rusty

You need to ride a modern Liter bike or 600 sportbike. That's handling. The busa is too big and heavy but that's also why it's the drag racers choice too.
Sean

You need to ride a modern Liter bike or 600 sportbike. That's handling. The busa is too big and heavy but that's also why it's the drag racers choice too.
Sean

Oh Yeah, I kinda realized the Busa's a fat pig in the sport bike world from what I've heard, but coming off a vmax it handled fantastic....

Even a small wheelie in Michigan will/can get you a SIX point ticket called recklasss diving! Its up to the cop pulling you over,but they can impound,or let you ride home with the ticket. imho,sport bikes only shine on the race track or under a hot chick. I cant imagine riding around all day on the street bent over like that. just sayin.

there is a zrx 1200 for sale one of these---- http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2003models/2003-Kawasaki-ZRX1200Rb.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2003models/2003models-Kawasaki-ZRX1200R.htm&usg=__5CCg36LteIE4v6rC3S5UiDYpKBg=&h=768&w=1024&sz=152&hl=en&start=5&zoom=1&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=hNCFiYQRvUY5DM:&tbnh=113&tbnw=150&prev=/search%3Fq%3D03%2Bkawasaki%2B1200%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Dactive%26biw%3D1003%26bih%3D914%26tbm%3Disch&ei=4X7DTZqkL-SE0QGmyL3MBg

which is almost like my old GPZ 550 and not a bent over rice rocket seating position so would that bike be lighter faster and handle better than the Vmax ?????

I wish the Vmax just had 1 more gear

oh well i think i should be spending my time rebuilding the 3.8 turbo engine in my 89 TTA, i drove that thing maybe 10 times and it has rod knock so its been sitting in the garage being neglected, its no show winner but has tons of aftermarket parts--the previous owner was running high 10's with it--he had the same heads and camshaft but a smaller turbo --I'd be happy with low 11's--never raced before so the number doesn't really matter although it would be nice to have a dyno sheet with 500+ HP on it

just gotta get off my lazy ass and turn wrenches and spend some more money---which I don't mind doing since the wife makes more than double my salary

there is a zrx 1200 for sale one of these---- which is almost like my old GPZ 550 and not a bent over rice rocket seating position so would that bike be lighter faster and handle better than the Vmax ?????
---

Yes, Yes, & Yes.....awesome bike....that would have been my next choice if I didn't get my FZ1........even the Honda CBR 919 sits more upright and runs pretty strong.

Just watch out for the mod monkey on these bikes......my FZ1 puts out 122 to the wheel stock, 100+lbs less than the Max, and I already have a Factory Pro jet kit, ported boots and a pipe ready to put on that will take it to 140 to the wheel.

Those ZRX's are hard to find though...they stopped making them a couple years ago.....get the 1200 and not the 1100.

They also have a huge cult following.........

I would look into insurance, Sportbikes will triple your insurance over what your paying for the Vmax. Your not in your 20's so it wont be as bad till you get that first ticket. I have a Soldier that was paying $275 a month for a ZX10 and his insurance was $250 a month. He got a speeding ticket for 100+ his insurance dropped him. Now he washes it weekly because he cant ride it waiting for someone to buy it.
Vmax is considered a "crusier" and I pay $250 a year for full coverage.

Which states require insurance?

In Florida we do not require insurance......only if payments are being made on a brand new bike....If payments are on a used bike, we still do-not require it.

We just need to carry personal injury protection if riding without a lid and with flip-flops:rofl_200:

On the books, my bikes aren't worth squat anyways......only bad is if they get stolen....then I have nada.

BTW:
Just kidding about the flip-flops.

I just added my 89 VMax to the existing Florida Policy on the 94. I dropped road service and they don't offer collision on bikes over 20 YO. With multi-bike discount the premium went up $12.00 and change a year for both bikes.. It covers passengers $100,000-$300,000 and any damage I'm at fault for up to $50,000.. If I wreck the 89 and live, I'll have parts.:biglaugh:

V-Max Forum Members,

I hate to say this...and I know I may get flamed, I'm new to the forum...and this is my first post, but here it goes....I recently bought a pristine condition 85 Max with 18k miles, and tons of mods, chrome everywhere, Barnett Clutch, Holeshot exhaust, jet kit, Corbin seat, progressive shocks, crash bars, highway pegs, low profile widshield, sissy bar, bored motor, you get the picture. The previous owner kept a bike diary that is 2 inches thick (no joke, he has every single oil change logged, and every reciept for 15 years).

I picked the bike up for a great price because the previous owner bought a Hyabusa. I've ridden the bike twice and I am honestly unsure if I want to keep it. I've had a handful of inline bikes and loved them, but the Max is a completely different machine and not for the better...or so it seems. Other than the awesome sound and the excellent style, it's clunky and doesnt feel fast to me at all. I have a low 11 second 6 speed C5 Corvette with heads, cam, forged internals, upgraded slotted vented rotors and brakes, every "bolt-on" mod imaginable, and the car out performs the Max in every way possible. Never mind my late 90's ZX9R or ZX7R.

I too have been debating selling the Max and picking up a '05 or newer CBR 1000rr. The only thing stopping me is the wife (we like to ride two up), and the fact that I think I may regret selling the Max (for cool topic of conversation reasons, let's face it, the Max is one hell of a center piece in the garage).

I need help. Please V-Max cult members lend me your time and your feedback to help convince this 36 year old child to keep this legend in the garage. I felll in love with my vette 10 years ago when I bought it brand new. Now I've had it 10 years, and three engine rebuilds later, and wouldn't even sell the vette if I was homeless. I want to fall in love with the Max in the same way.

Am I asking too much?

Thanks,
Johnny

Well.....It does weigh 600 lbs, and it's definetely not as fast as most sport bikes even when in good tune, and wil never handle like a sport bike either.........

Think of it as a 69 Camaro with an original big block in it, handles like ass, isn't nearly as fast as "moder muscle".....

It IS way the hell cooler and will draw a crowd eveywhere you go, and will never lose it's coolness due to age and the advent of newer better bikes....In the end it IS a cult bike that in realitry does have its shortcomings.......

On top of that, and the mods you have, you might want to check into making sure the bike you have is "up to par" in state of tune and handling mods, .......I've seen some Vmaxs with tons of pretty mods that still handled and ran like crap since the basics weren't tended too.....Kinda like the "Diamond in a goats ass" syndrome.....Maybe your situation,...make it the best it can be and then decide???

V-Max Forum Members,

I hate to say this...and I know I may get flamed, I'm new to the forum...and this is my first post, but here it goes....I recently bought a pristine condition 85 Max with 18k miles, and tons of mods, chrome everywhere, Barnett Clutch, Holeshot exhaust, jet kit, Corbin seat, progressive shocks, crash bars, highway pegs, low profile widshield, sissy bar, bored motor, you get the picture. The previous owner kept a bike diary that is 2 inches thick (no joke, he has every single oil change logged, and every reciept for 15 years).

I picked the bike up for a great price because the previous owner bought a Hyabusa. I've ridden the bike twice and I am honestly unsure if I want to keep it. I've had a handful of inline bikes and loved them, but the Max is a completely different machine and not for the better...or so it seems. Other than the awesome sound and the excellent style, it's clunky and doesnt feel fast to me at all. I have a low 11 second 6 speed C5 Corvette with heads, cam, forged internals, upgraded slotted vented rotors and brakes, every "bolt-on" mod imaginable, and the car out performs the Max in every way possible. Never mind my late 90's ZX9R or ZX7R.

I too have been debating selling the Max and picking up a '05 or newer CBR 1000rr. The only thing stopping me is the wife (we like to ride two up), and the fact that I think I may regret selling the Max (for cool topic of conversation reasons, let's face it, the Max is one hell of a center piece in the garage).

I need help. Please V-Max cult members lend me your time and your feedback to help convince this 36 year old child to keep this legend in the garage. I felll in love with my vette 10 years ago when I bought it brand new. Now I've had it 10 years, and three engine rebuilds later, and wouldn't even sell the vette if I was homeless. I want to fall in love with the Max in the same way.

Am I asking too much?

Thanks,
Johnny

First off, welcome to the forum! Keep in mind, the legend of the VMax was created in 1985, a time where there was no other bike like it with that type of power. Now fast forward 20 plus years, and what new technology was put into the Gen 1 VMax...? NOTHING! Yamaha never put any R&D into the Max like it did with the R1 etc. A modern bike will handle better than the VMax and the SS are faster but that is the benefit of 20 plus years of technology. Compare a 63 split window Vette with a new Vette. The new one will obviously out handle the old one and be faster... but which one would you rather own. I also own a Busa, which obviously outperforms my VMax, but I prefer the VMax over the Busa, unless I'm going on a long road trip. The real issue is there is too much motor for the frame and suspension. It is like a wooden roller coaster.... which makes the VMax so much fun to ride! :punk:

Thanks for the warm reception guys, the Camaro analogy is spot on. My eldest brother has a 65 Chevelle and my car out performs it in every way possible, but parked next to each other the Chevelle has the edge. I feel the same about the Max next to just about any other bike. I just need to stop comparing it to race bikes.

My bike seems to ride fine. My buddy, a bike mechanic and former racer, previously had a Max and now has an 84 Magna V65 said the Max is spot on. Aside from the wobble (which it seems is common) on deleceration it runs and rides like it should according to him. Although he said his didnt wobble as badly as mine does. Loose bearing perhaps?

I'm going to hold on to her throughout this season. If the weather is nice and sustainable in the Northeast maybe I'll get the seat time it takes to make the right decision.

Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back