"P" setting

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chargerman426

Reaction score
So this might be a dumb question but I just notices a P on my ignition switch and was wondering what it's for/denotes. I haven't been able to get my key to go over to the P no matter which way I have the handle bars or if I push down on the key. I'm hoping that its some extra security in case you park on a hill and can't turn the handle bars to the right so you can use the bar lock. Any help would be greatly appreciated

I believe it turns on parking lights. Front turn signals and brake light. I think you have to push and turn the key.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you push in and turn counter clockwise pass off or clockwise pass run? What your saying does make sense as it would almost be like an accessor setting.

Parking lights are pretty common on euro bikes, they're like 1/4 power running lights for if you were going to park and run in somewhere and wanted to find your vehicle easily.

Parking lights are pretty common on euro bikes, they're like 1/4 power running lights for if you were going to park and run in somewhere and wanted to find your vehicle easily.

The bike or car, can be seen easily by night when parked at the edge of the road. (avoid crashes with running cars)

Push and turn backwards.

+1 . This is how it's supposed to work. Push in and turn to align the key to the "P", then pull the key out.
But you're bike's ignition switch is probably like mine was- and still is - the detentes and/or contacts inside are not aligning or sticking, causing difficulty when trying to put the switch in the P position.
I've taken apart the switch to clean it, but didn't bother fixing the sticking problem, since I don't use it. I have parking/emergency flasher lights on a separate dash-mounted switch, operable either directly from the battery, or only with the ignition on.
There is an excellent "how-to" regarding ignition switch reconditioning on this forum.
Cheers!

Latest posts

Back