PAJ2 question.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

99 MAX

Reaction score
I just had the DJ stage 7 installed, was noticing off idle stumble and random carb pop when lugging, I pulled the filters, all slides working good but I see the PAJ2's have the #90 on them, shouldn't they be 190s, am I missing something?

i"ll go look at my notes......are air correctors installed? what jets and a/f screws turned out too?

PAJ1's are on top and are 90's. PAJ2's are behind slides and are #170.

PAJ2's are 'under the bellows.'

PAJ1's are on the top of the carb.

Not sure about Stg. 7 but these are the oem jets,

PAJ2....170
PAJ1.....90 (CA carbs are usually 100)

it has correctors, I guess I'm looking at PAJ1 on the top not too far from the correctors?
IMG_1951.jpg

The shop had the needles clipped 5th down, I moved it to 4th, sharper throttle response but it started the stumble off idle and at 4-5k rpm AGAIN, a/f screws 3.5 out, wishing I had bought an unmolested Max, Trade?

Stg 7 usually works fine without bothering with changing PAJ 1 or 2.
The DJ190 jet that comes with the stage 7 is for PAJ 2 spot if needed. The instructions mentioned something about surging in mid range as a symptom for changing Paj2 to the DJ 190. You can download them of thier site if you don't have them.

Plus 1 on the stock sizes, paj1 90, paj2 170

lol thats right :bang head: sry im in vmax withdrawal as im out of town working.

No problem, I'm the one that didn't know which jet I was looking at, duh, also I found one of the manifold boots was loose while i had the slides out yesterday, did a little cleaning, moved the needle clips to 5 down, a/f screws 3.5 out, noticed she fired right up with snappier throttle response, rode to the store and she purred like a kitten but got one quick pop on a throttle blip while down shifting but she wasn't warm yet, will ride to work tomorrow for the traffic and light to light test in the heat to see if it is still wanting to pop.

you do a wide open cut to see how the plugs are or do you know what main jet your running?

Main fuel jet? DJ170, I've taken it for three 10 mile rides and it ran flawless, still haven't been in light to light traffic since changing the needle clips, what is a wide open cut?

Also called a 'plug chop'....4th gear @ 4K rpm, whack it WOT to redline, pull in the clutch, roll off the throttle and hit the kill switch....then pull & read your plugs.

dannys got it, point being seeing carb wide open not at any other phase like idle up to the house. that wont give you the same reading on the plugs to help determine main jet size.

Also called a 'plug chop'....4th gear @ 4K rpm, whack it WOT to redline, pull in the clutch, roll off the throttle and hit the kill switch....then pull & read your plugs.

That's the right way to do it but plugs are damn hard to read on these bikes for some reason... I gave up and put a wideband O2 sensor on mine and I love it, chances are your probably too rich..

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Latest posts

Back