Pictures of marks systems?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RaWarrior

Reaction score
I'm looking to pick up a Marks 4-2 system this winter(personally I think these bikes look weird with only one can...enough I'll spend an extra $100 for duals).

They're listed as coming in full stainless, or ceramic coated (black or silver). I'm cheap, and am somewhat tempted by a "blacked out" exhaust.....does anybody have this? Curious to what it looks like on the bike. The only picture on the site is of the stainless.

Or should I just quit being cheap and spend the extra $90 for stainless?

I'm looking to pick up a Marks 4-2 system this winter(personally I think these bikes look weird with only one can...enough I'll spend an extra $100 for duals).

They're listed as coming in full stainless, or ceramic coated (black or silver). I'm cheap, and am somewhat tempted by a "blacked out" exhaust.....does anybody have this? Curious to what it looks like on the bike. The only picture on the site is of the stainless.

Or should I just quit being cheap and spend the extra $90 for stainless?
Quit being cheap & go stainless. I will probably never buy another exaust that is not stainless. I am not super happy with the way any ones ceramic coatings hold up in the elements. If your bike is always inside they might be ok but my bikes get out in the elemetns & rode in bad weather no show bikes for me. Just my 2 cents.

Stainless is the king - alsmost indestructible.
Coatings like coatings - somethimes they strip and you need recoating.
Thats why I hate chromme etc.
However some do not like gold color - the biggest suprise to me here!

I have 4-2-1 from Mark(slightly modified) and Im happy.
Suprisely I have found one BUG in the can which Mark should be extremely shame off
but I will keep that to myself.

I agree about stainless. I have Holeshots . I like the symetry of two seperate exhausts. Jet coated steel looks good for about one summer. I have to send them back to be recoated every 3 years or there is rust. Steel sounds better than stainless( deeper tone ) but I would like to remove mine and go stainless. I'm into riding and not polishing.
Dave

i have never been unsatisfied with a first class product that cost more:eusa_dance:. i have been dissatisfied numerous times trying to save a buck on a cheaper product:bang head:. Go stainless, it looks better, and you will never have to worry about it.

i thought about it but the look i wanted was to black out the bike so. it all depends on what you like i guess. in no way is the cheaper coated pipes 'cheaper', they just may needa bit more maintenance is all.

peace,
evan...

Dan-o should have some pics for ya. Black pipes with black cans, back pipes with stainless cans, and stainless pipes with black cans. He has posted pics of all three setups

I like the look of the black pipes but I don't think they stay nice for a lot of miles. Im another stainless fan.

I have to agree with the stainless crowd, having had Mark's stainless 4-2 for 3 seasons, they still look great and are easy to take care of.

Those big open cans sounds pretty nasty, though call me a wuss I'd prefer to keep the noise level to at least "moderate" so I'd probably pass on the short wide-open ones. I also like to think that a lot of power doesn't require a ton of noise to go with it, a sleeper if you will, though a vmax "sleeper" is kind of an oxymoron I guess, at least to anybody who knows anything about bikes.

I put a MAC megaphone open can on my first GS450, it was awfully loud, and I got tired of listening to my own noise when making my common 88 mile highway commute between Schroon and Troy. Granted, that little 22hp parallel twin didn't have the greatest sound to start with, but I found the volume just annoying. Sounded cool for the first couple rides, then I got tired of it.

My stock headers and Holeshot cans have a nice rumble, good sound without being obnoxiously loud i.e on the highway with an enclosed helmet I can't really hear the bike. Been hearing the dual holeshot cans for 3 years now and still think they sound great.

I like the look of the exhaust on his site, with the little downturn tips at the end of the cans. I assume you can get your exhaust made pretty much any way you want it....different cans, different finishes, ect?

i've definately landed on a set of Marks'. Going balls out and getting his stainless dualies. I just haven't figured out how long of a can, size of outlet, and whether or not to get the turn down tips. I heard some 14-inchers on a youtube vid. I think I like the stretched-out look and the easy-going, thick, beefy sound it made.

what are the benefits of the altering the outlet?
what are the benefits of the turned down tips?

i've definately landed on a set of Marks'. Going balls out and getting his stainless dualies. I just haven't figured out how long of a can, size of outlet, and whether or not to get the turn down tips. I heard some 14-inchers on a youtube vid. I think I like the stretched-out look and the easy-going, thick, beefy sound it made.

what are the benefits of the altering the outlet?
what are the benefits of the turned down tips?

I spoke with mark on all this before buying a set of pipes.

The larger the outlet, the louder the noise. Outlet size has a big impact on noise. 2.25 is popular. I went with 2.5. Nice and loud.

Can length also has an impact on loudness and tone. Longer is quieter. Length does not have as much impact as outlet size. 12" and 14" are the most popular lengths.

Turndowns help direct noise away from passengers on the bike. They make it a little more quiet for the rider and passenger. Plus, they change the look.

I spoke with mark on all this before buying a set of pipes.

The larger the outlet, the louder the noise. Outlet size has a big impact on noise. 2.25 is popular. I went with 2.5. Nice and loud.

Can length also has an impact on loudness and tone. Longer is quieter. Length does not have as much impact as outlet size. 12" and 14" are the most popular lengths.

Turndowns help direct noise away from passengers on the bike. They make it a little more quiet for the rider and passenger. Plus, they change the look.

I dunno anymore. I went on youtube to look at somemore. Just realized that it was your vid, mabdcmb, that first turned me on to Marks'. Anyways, I listened to everyone's systems, and now I just don't know. :bang head:. I definitely want to go louder, but not L-the-effin-O-U-D loud. I want something with a very throaty, beefy soothing purr that "floats" over the cylinder cycles. know what i mean? don't want something crispy or sounds like crackling foil.

I'm thinking 14-inch cans, 2.25 outlets, with turndowns. How's this in comparison to stock with 5-holes? or to cobras? roughly speaking dB-wise? how much dB is gained with 12-inchers? how 'bout 2.5 outlets? i'll ask Mark tomorrow I suppose when I place my order...or at least start the process of. but i value all y'all's opinions greatly.

sorry RaWarrior for the hijack.

Turn downs keep the rain water out. Not sure if you Florida guys have to worry about rain.

yea i had priced out a marks system at one point. 17" cans, should be nice and quiet for what you want ryan. take a look at any of my pics. they're holeshots full system but 17" cans are 17" cans. its also all blacked out.

I spoke in depth with Mark and had the same desires as you Ninjaneer. He suggested the 14 inch cans and 2&1/4 outlets with no turn downs. Mark stated that if it was too loud, he would swap me turn down ends to quite it down. I did not need to swap them, the open ends sound great, and only get nasty when I really crack hard on the throttle. Idle and cruising at 3-4k has a nice sound.... like a small block chevy! I installed a set of Marks 2&3/4 pipes on another members bike, and I gotta say it was LOUD! I couldn't even hear my bike next to his! I am happy with mine and I ride 2 up with the wife, and we enjoy conversations while riding. You will enjoy them, and Mark will make sure you are happy with your purchase.

I have a set of his 14 inch cans with 2 inch outlets with turn downs and a set of his "quieter" baffles and it is about the same db as my old cobras. But just a lot deeper and throatier if that makes any sense. I love them

I have a set of his 14 inch cans with 2 inch outlets with turn downs and a set of his "quieter" baffles and it is about the same db as my old cobras. But just a lot deeper and throatier if that makes any sense. I love them

I spoke in depth with Mark and had the same desires as you Ninjaneer. He suggested the 14 inch cans and 2&1/4 outlets with no turn downs. Mark stated that if it was too loud, he would swap me turn down ends to quite it down. I did not need to swap them, the open ends sound great, and only get nasty when I really crack hard on the throttle. Idle and cruising at 3-4k has a nice sound.... like a small block chevy! I installed a set of Marks 2&3/4 pipes on another members bike, and I gotta say it was LOUD! I couldn't even hear my bike next to his! I am happy with mine and I ride 2 up with the wife, and we enjoy conversations while riding. You will enjoy them, and Mark will make sure you are happy with your purchase.
thanks 06VMAXIMUS and shicks! :worthy:i owe y'all one. i feel better with the options that i'm thinking of going for now based on your descriptions.
you can have your thread back now, RaWarrior. :rofl_200:

Great thread RaWarrior. Everyone please keep us up to date with pics of what you all decided. I am also going to order from marks after Christmas and would like to get your feed back once your pipes are on.:banana:
E-MAX

ninjaneer are you going with 4 into 1 or 4 into 2. I like the looks of 4 into 2 the best. But i here 4 into 1 spools up faster. Damon has a 4 into 1 ufo dragstar slash cut and it sounds and looks killer. I like the look of the ufo slashcut the best. It copmpliment the nastalgic look of the vmax. call me old school but i like the sneaker pipe look of a old mopar with pipes coming out just in front of the rear tires. That being said marks exhaust is all ss and it looks great but i still havent found a better look for the vmax than ufo. Im waiting on a deal on a used exhaust and if this falls through i will have to pick from marks or ufo. marks has a killer h pipe sound and is a vary good quality pipe but i was told some of the welding for flow is not the best. (HEar SAY) Nothing bad just a vary small flaw. UFO is not ss. Well the baffle is but the pipe is ceramic. At idle both pipes are not to loud. but 7000rpms the UFO is bad-ass loud. I havent heard marks in person but i know he uses some kind off a cross over pipe like an aftermarket h-pipe for a mustang gt. thats why marks pipes sound so in tune. I wish i could get a full ss UFO. If i buy new I think UFO will hold up great so do to the clean nastalgic look Im thinking of going that way. Another good thing about marks you can keep your center stand with 4 into 1 or 4 into 2. UFo 4 into1 you have to take the center stand off when riding it but you can put it back on to work on bike. UFO 4 into 2 the center stand can stay on. Hope this helps you. Its alot of money.

Latest posts

Back