Please help my Max (aka Guzzler)

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rollin thunder

Reaction score
Just got back from a short ride .I filled the tank e few weeks ago and at 75 on the trip odometer,my reserve light comes on .I normally get 90-95 before the light comes on.The only thing I have done this year is C.O.Ps and plugs .I havent touched the carbs ,but I am running some seafoam thru it right now and I am getting sputtering and backfiring between 3-6 grand.It idles and starts up fine.Any ideas?.

With COP's did you gap the plugs at the right spec? .026 is what is Recommended for COP's.

With COP's did you gap the plugs at the right spec? .026 is what is Recommended for COP's.

So I have never been very good at making sure gaps are set correctly. I am currently running iridium plugs with cops. Is this suggested gap plug specific or does it go for any plugs when running cops?

Thanks

I grind parts for a living to thousandths and I woild think that a gap that is big by 10 thousandths would not be a big change in how a bike runs.

Davesax36 posted on a thread that he put the COP's on, didnt see a difference, got worse gas mileage...etc...and generally wasnt pleased with COP's. After he took out the plugs and gapped them to .026...he was completely amazed by the difference. I will try to find the thread.

I had terrible mileage and didn't see a difference when I put on the cops. I didn't read the directions, though. When I followed the instructions, everything worked great.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I'd run a few more tanks thru it before making any decisions. One tank isn't a very big sampling.

Also you said its not been ridden for a few weeks?
What about staring and idling till warm? I do that quite often when I don't have time to ride it and if done a few times on one tank it has a very noticeable affect on mileage....

Just thinking out loud....

Got a new problem .I set one gap at 40 thou jsut to see what it would do and it idled fine and started right up.I went for a ride and noticed my seat was burning a little took it off quickly and saw my resistor melted the underside of my seat a little and came right off. Is this ok to still ride ?.It seems to run better.Now I am worried about the other ones melting something.Should I remove al the resistors so they dont melt somthing also.

Back