VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, been a while since I updated this thread...
But the project is NOT dead!
(hey, that rhymes! I'm just that AWESOME!!!)
matteocafi.gif

Anyways, while browsing threads here, I found these gems.
$(KGrHqZ,!l4FBD)k3VtkBRd,zFdfu!~~60_12.JPG

Hard Bags that I want for the Tourmax
I checked dimensions, and they will fit nicely. I checked on the site for fitment. Says it will not fit the V-max...

BULLSHIT! I'll make them damn things fit!

Now, the price looks OUTSTANDING! $75 or so including shipping. HOLY EFFIN CHRIST JACKHAMMERING LUCIFER WITH A LAWN DART! Thats a deal in my eyes. Comes with built in turn signals too. Even better!!!

Don't know how the quality will be, but this is what I will be finding out.
I will be ordering these within the next two weeks. Watch for my post on that!

In my previous post here in this thread, I mentioned I would be ordering some hard saddlebags for Woona. Today, I woke up to find that FedEx had dropped the bags off at my door.

Opening the box, I see that the company I ordered these through did a thorough job of packaging these securely with plenty of padding. First good sign. Everything appears to be included, including some robustly engineered mounting hardware and instructions for mounting the bags. Another good sign, because when shit is missing, people tend to get pissed. (such as myself)

Inspecting the bags themselves, I see that the fit and finish is acceptable. I will want to do some touch ups just to make certain that everything will be sealed up tight when the bags are mounted. I do not want rain water getting in uninvited. The black finish is nice and smooth, and the chromed plastic pieces seem decent enough. One plus is that both the chrome trim piece on the door, and the turn signal assemblies both are held in with a pair of screws each. This should make swapping out the red lenses and bulbs easy enough, as well as removing the chrome trim for refinishing.

The interior looks a bit rough, but that is perfectly acceptable to me. This is not a show bike project, and it will do the job nicely still.

On the back, there appears to be two mounting holes pre-drilled. I quickly discovered that the forward hole should line up perfectly with the turn signal mounting locations on the bike. I cannot ask for anything more perfect, because with a little fabrication, I can have a third mounting point to the bike via the turn signal mount. I can even make that mount hollow, to allow the wires for the bag's turn signals to go through.

I shall have to gather the parts, and get to work on mounting these babies up!

10422460_10203903078192696_6264466993049724757_n.jpg

10646912_10203903078472703_4628371699919228395_n.jpg

10570276_10203903078992716_4098605096695811583_n.jpg

10606305_10203903079432727_6745780048210331854_n.jpg

Thanks so for this thread Biker Dash! As someone who is working hard to make my Vmax a wee bit more practical I am appreciating what you're doing. I just added a givi 47 liter case to mine and am loving the flexibility!

Percy

What about increasing the range? External Tank perhaps?

What about increasing the range? External Tank perhaps?

The plans for increasing range have three steps.
Venture engine and driveline. That should increase my mpg from around 33 to 45. Yes, I lose top end power, but who needs 140 hp when the goal you have is good, long cruises lol

Extended fuel tank. This will not be possible until I get an extended swingarm to make room. I believe it was an extra gallon obtainable that Sean Morley stated. (Sean, if I am incorrect, please correct me)

Auxillary fuel tank. A lot of riders who go this route go with one of the units that mount on the luggage rack. I was thinking of one that replaces the air box cover. I have seen them in differing capacities, but maybe I can get a custom one made up that still has decent lines, but with a good capacity. Something on the order of 2 gallons or so I am thinking. It might end up being a custom one-off job, and it will be expensive to make, but I think it would be doable.

Have you thought about Seans muscle jet kit? An added benefit is increased mileage.

Now this was STRICTLY around town....I just added the kit...so havent had time to get highway mileage. Last time fueling up...my light came on at 93 miles. Today....107 miles.

The light comes at at roughly 3 gallons...instead of 3.2.

So first time....31 miles per gallon...now 35.6. Thats a pretty good increase. It should be better on the highway.

The plans for increasing range have three steps.
Venture engine and driveline. That should increase my mpg from around 33 to 45. Yes, I lose top end power, but who needs 140 hp when the goal you have is good, long cruises lol

Extended fuel tank. This will not be possible until I get an extended swingarm to make room. I believe it was an extra gallon obtainable that Sean Morley stated. (Sean, if I am incorrect, please correct me)

Auxillary fuel tank. A lot of riders who go this route go with one of the units that mount on the luggage rack. I was thinking of one that replaces the air box cover. I have seen them in differing capacities, but maybe I can get a custom one made up that still has decent lines, but with a good capacity. Something on the order of 2 gallons or so I am thinking. It might end up being a custom one-off job, and it will be expensive to make, but I think it would be doable.

Dash, now that you have saddle bags, you could get a pair of these: http://www.jpcycles.com/product/721...e=&network=g&gclid=CI--9Ouu48ACFYk7Mgod2EoAfw

Two extra gallons will get you an extra 60-80 miles.

Now this was STRICTLY around town....I just added the kit...so havent had time to get highway mileage. Last time fueling up...my light came on at 93 miles. Today....107 miles.

The light comes at at roughly 3 gallons...instead of 3.2.

So first time....31 miles per gallon...now 35.6. Thats a pretty good increase. It should be better on the highway.
Keep records, and tell me how she figures out after more riding, including highway. Also, do you have the stock rear end, or the Venture diff?

Lastly, how "lively" does the bike feel. This I ask because Woona feels like she just wants to take off and go. Less relaxed than I was looking for. Would a different throttle sleeve help make her seem a bit more relaxed? (This is one reason why I would love to develop a good EFI for the bike, so that when I want to just cruise, imputs are softened)

Dash, now that you have saddle bags, you could get a pair of these: http://www.jpcycles.com/product/721...e=&network=g&gclid=CI--9Ouu48ACFYk7Mgod2EoAfw

Two extra gallons will get you an extra 60-80 miles.
While I am liking this idea for its ingenuity, my plans for the saddlebags would be for storage of tools and such.

Keep records, and tell me how she figures out after more riding, including highway. Also, do you have the stock rear end, or the Venture diff?

Lastly, how "lively" does the bike feel. This I ask because Woona feels like she just wants to take off and go. Less relaxed than I was looking for. Would a different throttle sleeve help make her seem a bit more relaxed? (This is one reason why I would love to develop a good EFI for the bike, so that when I want to just cruise, imputs are softened)

While I am liking this idea for its ingenuity, my plans for the saddlebags would be for storage of tools and such.

This is with the stock diff. So far the bike feels relaxed. With the stock set up...well did have a few mods, the bike felt very powerful....but also felt a bit stiff. Very relaxed. twist of the throttle....off she goes.

This is with the stock diff. So far the bike feels relaxed. With the stock set up...well did have a few mods, the bike felt very powerful....but also felt a bit stiff. Very relaxed. twist of the throttle....off she goes.

Ok, I need details on what other mods go with doing this. Specifically, the exhaust is a big one for me. I do like the Cobra exhaust, and above 9k RPM, where the Cobra cans rob the power, I rarely ever go anyways. Also, is all the gains in power in the upper RPM range, or is it across the board?

You will need aftermarket exhaust....but the increase in power is across the board. Its Seans muscle jet kit. He can give you the info on it. I like it though. I will be leaving tomorrow to go to work, and will be gone for a couple of weeks....after that I will dyno the bike again, and have hard numbers.

You will need aftermarket exhaust....but the increase in power is across the board. Its Seans muscle jet kit. He can give you the info on it. I like it though. I will be leaving tomorrow to go to work, and will be gone for a couple of weeks....after that I will dyno the bike again, and have hard numbers.

Well, Now you have placed me in a quandary... If I go one route... its gonna lose the utility of touring, cause if I significantly boost power, I'm gonna wanna ditch the stuff for touring...

Just means I gotta win the lotto so I can get all the Vmax's I want lol

Well....with an exhaust and the jet kit....your probably looking at 10 to 15 extra hp at maximum.

I installed the UFO 4-2-1, and re-jetted the mains to 155.. I went from 115mi to fuel light up to 130mi to fuel light.. ~40mpg.. mountain riding here in Colorado I have gotten up to 47mpg that's at an average of 40mph (cracking it in the straights of course) and no more than 65mph for short bursts.

Morley has an over drive 5th gear that will drop you from 5.2k rpm @80mph to around ~4000 rpm

Last edited:
Did you ever complete this project? The hard bags specifically?

Sadly, winter has put a big crimp in working on the project. Hard to work on this when for half the winter, the storage unit was heavily blocked by snow and ice. (Every time they got the area clear, another damn storm dumped more snow)

The project will be resumed come spring when I can finally get the bike out of the storage unit, and home safely.

Sadly, winter has put a big crimp in working on the project. Hard to work on this when for half the winter, the storage unit was heavily blocked by snow and ice. (Every time they got the area clear, another damn storm dumped more snow)

The project will be resumed come spring when I can finally get the bike out of the storage unit, and home safely.

I Feel your pain. This winter has debilitated a lot of us.:damn angry:

Back