Poor rear brake performance

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WIKDMAX

Reaction score
I just need confirmation on a few things. My Vmax is a 2002 and the rear rotor measures out to 7.45mm at the thinnest area. That should still be in specs correct? I have new pads on it so I'm leaning towards one of the cylinders leaking pressure since I bled it and got a good pedal but when stopping I almost have no rear braking power.

Even if it were thinner than spec, I believe it would have to be a lot before failure of the braking ability.
What Pads did you install? If you've got good pedal, good pads, good line and aren't leaking, you nailed
it with a bad wheel cylinder. Could even be frozen...

The pads are the EBC HH pads and I have no visual fluid leaks. Since I have a good pedal after bleeding I'm guessing I'm loosing pressure somewheres.

I just need confirmation on a few things. My Vmax is a 2002 and the rear rotor measures out to 7.45mm at the thinnest area. That should still be in specs correct? I have new pads on it so I'm leaning towards one of the cylinders leaking pressure since I bled it and got a good pedal but when stopping I almost have no rear braking power.

Wow, I don't know anybody that uses the rear brake. Front brakes only for me. Good Luck, Spurs:punk:

Probably some grease on the rotor. Clean it with brake cleaning spray and while you're at it use a bit of fine grit sand paper and sand the rotor for cleaning and better grip. You mai also have a malfunctioning master but that would only be checkable if you reach the pedal limit before building pressure. Air in line maybe? When you bled it did you check the reservoir level? I lean towards air in brake line... Badly bled.

HH works well for the front and generally too aggressive for the rear. A good organic pad is what is suggested for the rear.

The rotor was hit with fine scotch brite and cleaned with brake cleaner afterwards. Res was kept up and I know there's no air in the line. The problem is even if I stand on it the brake barely grabs enough to stop the bike at low speed. Although I use front brake mostly when I am rolling to a stop I use the back and until I'm just creeping it really does very little. I thought the rotor may have been too thin but when I measured it the reading at the thinnest point was 7.45mm. With no visual fluid leaks I'm leaning towards a bad cylinder. This is more aggravating than troublesome as long as I don't run into a panic brake situation and need the rear brakes. Only good part is I don't have to worry about locking the rear tire, it won't.

Back