Positive battery terminal arcs when hooking up battery tender

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vmaxerCraig

Reaction score
When I try to hook up the positive lead from my battery Tender it arcs like a welder, any ideas? Some kind of serious short??

Do you have it (your Battery Tender) plugged in when you are trying to make the connection? If yes, unplug it, then connect it making sure you have the polarity correct, and then plug it in.

If you're trying to charge a dead battery, it may have an internal dead short which will never allow you to re-charge it. That could also be the source of your arcing.

Batteries can explode from sparks when trying to make connections, that's why it's a good idea to make your connection to ground to a place on the frame away from the battery, after having the positive attached. I have treated a few unfortunate battery servicing victims over the years, and they all were in pain. Don't forget your eye protection and long sleeved shirt. If exposed, use lots-LOTS- of water. When messing w/fuel or batteries I keep a charged garden hose nearby and a fire extinguisher too. A 5 lb. A-B-C rating should take-care of most issues. That, and a cellphone to 911:biglaugh:

The battery sits low in the vmax so make sure your tender is not touching the sides of the frame, if you are using the jumper style ends.

Mine did the same when I hooked up my tender. Make sure the negative is hooked up. There's not much room around the positive terminal. Make sure your screw driver isn't touching anything when trying to tighten the positive. I wrapped the driver shaft with electrical tape and carefully screwed down the positive with no further arcing. Hope this helps.

does it make any diff if you hook up the pos 1st? i preferr to do it that way when im hooking up chargers and boosting. JMO

Yes, + 1st, then -- is how you do it, and the -- should be somewhere besides the battery when jumping or charging, to remove you from harm's way, as-in a spark igniting the potentially explosive hydrogen sulfide gas.

Don't let this be you:
:confused2:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 11
I have a Schumacher SEM-1562A charger, When I first install it a got a spark 2 times I check the wiring by the manual everything was right. I revers the wiring no problem it started charging. You may have plus side of the chager going to the negative side of the battery thus give you a spark like it did me.

My charger is hook up in the house and run through a wall plug going out side to the vmax where I'm working on it at.

Attachments

• vmax charger1.jpg
    vmax charger1.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 17
  • vmax charger2.jpg
    vmax charger2.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 16
  • vmax charger3.jpg
    vmax charger3.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 18
  • vmax charger4.jpg
    vmax charger4.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 17
i, without fail, hit the rail next to the + terminal everytime i goto uninstall the bolt or adjust the tender. just make sure you're not doing that, maybe some rubber over it or something.

Back